Prospect Info: HFOIL 2020 Prospect Rankings (Poll #5)

Who is the Oilers 5th best prospect?

• Total voters

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
This is where things really open up for me. The top-4 was relatively clear for me, but I could see an argument for half a dozen guys at the #5 spot.

Benson is the furthest along in his development and already has some NHL games under his belt. I'm not particularly high on him though, and his skating needs to take a big step forward if he wants to become an NHL impact forward.

Raphael Lavoie probably had the most hype out of all these guys coming out of his draft year. He was seen by most as a 1st round talent last year. I'm not especially high on him either, as I think his skating and all-round game will limit him.

Moving onto a player that I am high on, Ty Tullio warrant consideration for me at this spot. He was a player worth taking in the 2nd round in my opinion and is a good bet to make the NHL with his work ethic and shot. Honestly my biggest concern is whether an OHL season will be played this year, as his development is counting on it.

Ilya Konovalov and Carter Savoie are wildcards here. Both are less likely to make the show than the players I previously mentioned but have real NHL upside if they do.

Ultimately my vote goes to Ryan McLeod. I think he's the safest bet of the players remaining to become an impact NHL player and I think he's our long term answer at 3C. Big, fast, good passer, and a solid 2-way guy. I don't think he'll win this poll but that's who I'm going with.

Reactions: Giggleplex

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It's crazy that 3 of the top 4 are defensemen. I'm liking the priority and direction that the team has finally taken the past few years drafting.

A decade later than they should have though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is where things really open up for me. The top-4 was relatively clear for me, but I could see an argument for half a dozen guys at the #5 spot.

Benson is the furthest along in his development and already has some NHL games under his belt. I'm not particularly high on him though, and his skating needs to take a big step forward if he wants to become an NHL impact forward.

Raphael Lavoie probably had the most hype out of all these guys coming out of his draft year. He was seen by most as a 1st round talent last year. I'm not especially high on him either, as I think his skating and all-round game will limit him.

Moving onto a player that I am high on, Ty Tullio warrant consideration for me at this spot. He was a player worth taking in the 2nd round in my opinion and is a good bet to make the NHL with his work ethic and shot. Honestly my biggest concern is whether an OHL season will be played this year, as his development is counting on it.

Ilya Konovalov and Carter Savoie are wildcards here. Both are less likely to make the show than the players I previously mentioned but have real NHL upside if they do.

Ultimately my vote goes to Ryan McLeod. I think he's the safest bet of the players remaining to become an impact NHL player and I think he's our long term answer at 3C. Big, fast, good passer, and a solid 2-way guy. I don't think he'll win this poll but that's who I'm going with.
Kind of reminds me of this year's draft how they were talking about how guys could go anywhere from 4-13 or whatever that range was.

I've said it before as we get to this kind of spot every year and you mentioned it a bit. A guy like Benson could very well have the most impact at the NHL level, as the others might not even get to his spot. But it now becomes what are you valuing in these rankings. Guy most likely to make an impact or guy with the highest ceiling. Or some sort of combination

Reactions: Oilhawks

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lagesson is the most NHL ready and could be our #6/#7 this season
Benson and McLeod are toss ups but longshots for this year considering the number of bottom 6 players Holland signed.
Konovalov could be our NHL backup as early as next season
Lavoie and Savoie are long term wildcards

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
These next few are a combination of Lavoie, Konovalov, and Benson imo. I have Lavoie because he seems to have clear top 6 upside, where as Benson is either a middle 6 winger or a tweener for me.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think Benson will be a good player with the skating determining how good. I will say if a guy with iffy skating is going to make it as an pffensive player he needs a few things going for him. He needs to be smart and able to move pucks effectively, he needs to be productive at lower levels, he needs to score some garbage goals, and he needs to win battles. For me Benson only needs to improve his goalscoring and continue working on his skating, at 21 thats not unreasonable, and he can be an effective player. I just dont know of he's going to be a 25 or 50 point guy in his prime. I will say I was encouraged by his deflection in the play ins TC as I've thought for a long time he has the hands and skill to deflect goals and he's going to need to for the production to be top 9 worthy.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Interesting, I thought Lavoie would've been pretty handily the leader here. IMO has by far the highest potential of the guys remaining, and a decent shot to be an NHLer either way given his size and shot.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Interesting, I thought Lavoie would've been pretty handily the leader here. IMO has by far the highest potential of the guys remaining, and a decent shot to be an NHLer either way given his size and shot.
I voted Benson because I think he’s right there. I agree though I think Lavoie has the biggest potential out of these guys.

North

Jun 25, 2009

I almost went with Lavoie but ultimately decided on Benson. Benson has had some success in the AHL so I felt that gave him a slight edge. I do think if Lavoie works on his skating he’s going to surprise some people.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Shocked at how high Benson is here, I may be down on him more than most it seems. Like him as a player but just don't see the ceiling comparable with Lavoie, Savoie, Tullio or even the 2 goalies.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Rodrigue has been dominate in the Q. Great agility, quick reflexes. Made the world juniors but didnt play, but he played for the QMJHL All-Stars against Russia. Obviously he needs time in the AHL but I think he'll be a starter in the league, which is worth more than how Benson and Lavoie project. I think he is terribly underrated by this fanbase, and I'm excited to see how he does turning pro.

Reactions: Giggleplex

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really struggled with this one. I can easily see how ppl could like 3-4 different players.

Ultimately I went with Benson because he has some success in the AHL and I am hoping it will translate to the NHL. I was expecting more from his last year. I’ve told myself that I need to be more patient with some of these prospects . I just don’t know what Bensons upside is if I am being honest.

In regards to Lavoie and Kono and Rodrigue I think I just need to see more progression from them before I move them ahead of Benson.

in regards to McLeod, I always like him in preseason and scrimmages. I just don’t like his progression in terms of offense. I think his skills will translate to the NHL pretty well but I think its still too early.

Need to see more from Tullio and Savoie before I know where to rank them.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lagesson for me.
I think he will snatch a roster spot on Larsson's pairing this season.

Nurse-Barrie
Jones/Russell -Bear
Lagesson-Larsson

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lagesson for me.
I think he will snatch a roster spot on Larsson's pairing this season.

Nurse-Barrie
Jones/Russell -Bear
Lagesson-Larsson
Lagesson was drafted 6 years ago. He still hasn’t cracked the team. I don’t see much potential there. At best he becomes a #6 but I’m not even sure he gets there.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lagesson was drafted 6 years ago. He still hasn’t cracked the team. I don’t see much potential there. At best he becomes a #6 but I’m not even sure he gets there.
Played 8 games last season and was on par with Jones. He is only a yr older than Jones and Bear.
#6 is fine by me.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Played 8 games last season and was on par with Jones. He is only a yr older than Jones and Bear.
#6 is fine by me.
A guy who tops out as a bottom pair guy isn’t our 5th best prospect. I don’t think he looked good in the nhl last year either.

Reactions: joestevens29

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A guy who tops out as a bottom pair guy isn’t our 5th best prospect. I don’t think he looked good in the nhl last year either.
Benson will be a career AHLer unless his mobility improves. McLeod topping off as bottom 6 forward Konovalov a backup goalie.
I will be happy if our 5th best prospect can stick as a full time NHLer.
Our main team is pretty young in itself with Yama, Pulji, Bear , Jones and even Nurse no far removed from AHL stints.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I dont think Benson will be a regular NHLer with the Oilers, depending on what we do I can see Seattle claiming him. But I think McLoed is in our top 4 with Holloway down the list, the Holloway at 3 is recency bias but McLoed will be in the NHL probably 2 years before Holloway is ready. So I pick McLoed again!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
McLeod for me. At the very worst he could be a Sean Kuraly type. I think he’s a lock as an NHL player, maybe even next year.

Im with you 100%. He will replace Khaira/Haas at 4c next year and when Turris moves on in 2 years take the 3C spot, is my estimation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't really see it with Benson.

With skating that poor, you likely need to be a physical goalscorer to make up for it and that's far from Benson's game.

Reactions: 780il

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->