HFNYR Top Rangers of All Time

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
With the goalie position being the only one left, I'm curious if most think it's Richter v. Lundqvist for the top spot?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
With the goalie position being the only one left, I'm curious if most think it's Richter v. Lundqvist for the top spot?

If you put aside the 1994 Cup, Giacomin has a much better resume than Richter. And Rayner has the highest peak of all of them. So it depends on what's important to you.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

While I'd have to do more research into everyone, it feels like a foregone conclusion that in ten years, the top spot will be Lundqvist without question. So it almost seems a bit silly to do the goalies when the number one spot will likely sort itself out in a couple years.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
While I'd have to do more research into everyone, it feels like a foregone conclusion that in ten years, the top spot will be Lundqvist without question. So it almost seems a bit silly to do the goalies when the number one spot will likely sort itself out in a couple years.

You're right. But it would also be fun to get a sense of how far along Lundqvist is to the top as of now.

Cake or Death

I probably have Richter in the 3 or 4 spot, probably 4th just behind Vanbiesbrouck. Lundqvist, Giacomin, Vanbiesbrouck, then Richter. That's just me.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
When we get to the goalies, it'll be interesting for me because I don't know much about anyone pre-Giacomin. As of now, I don't think Lundqvist has done enough in the playoffs to merit the top spot.

Does Villemure get a spot in some people's top 10.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Beezer ahead of Richter? Hank, Eddie, JD, JVB, Gumper, gotta be room for Gilles Villemure in a Top 10. Not too sure about Hardy Astrom however!

Cake or Death

Beezer ahead of Richter?

Richter took the best team in the league to a Cup victory. Had a Hart winner, 2nd all-time in regular season and playoff points, a Norris winner, one of the few d-men in NHL history to score 100 points in a season, both hall of famers. Richter did what he was expected to and was phenomenal. kudos. In 85-86, Vbk had a scrub team with a losing record. Won a Vezina. Carried that team two the semi-finals even though they had no business getting out of either of the first two rounds. Both guys were great goalies and I loved the tandem. I'm fine with anyone's preference of the two, they're that close. But to me Richter won with a team that was supposed to win, and still was never one of the best three goalies in the league. Vbk won a Vezina and carried a team that was supposed to get destroyed in round 1. To each his own, but I am quite okay with my feelings on this and did also see almost every game they both played.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
It's interesting that JVB won the Vezina with a 31-21-5 record...3.32 GAA and .887 Save %

Fuhr won the Vezina with a 40-24-9 record...3.43 GAA and .881 save %

Richter didn't win the Vezina with a 42-12-6 record...2.57 GAA and .910 save %

Grrr...Hasek.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
When we get to the goalies, it'll be interesting for me because I don't know much about anyone pre-Giacomin. As of now, I don't think Lundqvist has done enough in the playoffs to merit the top spot.

Does Villemure get a spot in some people's top 10.

He does in mine, closer to 5 than 10, but too busy to think now on an exact slot.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
The HOH forum just completed their Top 60 Centers (All-Time) project.

6. Mark Messier
16. Frank Boucher
45. Jean Ratelle
60. Neil Colville

Nice to see some notable Rangers in the list. And it supports our placement of Colville at #4 among centers in franchise history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad