OT: HFNYR OT Thread: Now Able to Ignore Threads Again

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I was in Buffalo on Saturday. Drove up to Rochester and then over to Buffalo.

Traded in car on a Corvette to trim $15,000 off my car loan to try and save even more money.
Next time you're here, if you do, let me know. Would be down to get dinner and a beer or something. Better than the shit show I was in.

Long story short, a friend's birthday night was hijacked by someone who is quite an attention monger, and basically hard-changed the plan and then ended up being something that I was denied access to due to me not being in a more formal dresscode/over priced cover. So I had left and went to my normal bar with the normal crew of people I hang out with, and the b-day group of people is furious because I wasn't going to wait for them outside of an overpriced shitty club. And then proceeded to launch a smear campaign via texts to some friends. Literally worst people ever, confirmed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Next time you're here, if you do, let me know. Would be down to get dinner and a beer or something. Better than the **** show I was in.

Long story short, a friend's birthday night was hijacked by someone who is quite an attention monger, and basically hard-changed the plan and then ended up being something that I was denied access to due to me not being in a more formal dresscode/over priced cover. So I had left and went to my normal bar with the normal crew of people I hang out with, and the b-day group of people is furious because I wasn't going to wait for them outside of an overpriced ****ty club. And then proceeded to launch a smear campaign via texts to some friends. Literally worst people ever, confirmed.

You could've enjoyed Wendy's with me.

I was so God damn tired that I basically ate and fell asleep. 6.5 hour ride in a torrential downpour with tires that amount to racing slicks was not at all fun, lol. My teeth still hurt from my jaw being clenched the whole ride up. :laugh:

I may be up in Buffalo for business later this year, though. Will Pm you!

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
You could've enjoyed Wendy's with me.

I was so God damn tired that I basically ate and fell asleep. 6.5 hour ride in a torrential downpour with tires that amount to racing slicks was not at all fun, lol. My teeth still hurt from my jaw being clenched the whole ride up. :laugh:

I may be up in Buffalo for business later this year, though. Will Pm you!
Very nice! I also will be visiting home again this winter and probably later this month. Staying in NJ in August, staying in Brooklyn in the winter. I drive a V8 Impala right now, so no racing slicks for me. :( But the thing is pretty damn nice for what it is. My original car was wrecked by a lady who rear ended me at 45 mph.

When I drove home from Dallas, it was monsooning and when you are coming to the border of AK and TX, it's an uphill drive and my teeth were clenched so hard I was scared they'd crack :laugh:

Would have rather had Wendy's or taken you out somewhere than deal with the toxic ass people I did.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Next time you're here, if you do, let me know. Would be down to get dinner and a beer or something. Better than the **** show I was in.

Long story short, a friend's birthday night was hijacked by someone who is quite an attention monger, and basically hard-changed the plan and then ended up being something that I was denied access to due to me not being in a more formal dresscode/over priced cover. So I had left and went to my normal bar with the normal crew of people I hang out with, and the b-day group of people is furious because I wasn't going to wait for them outside of an overpriced ****ty club. And then proceeded to launch a smear campaign via texts to some friends. Literally worst people ever, confirmed.
Ditch those people dude. Those friendships are filtered out through the gutters as you get older. I lived it too. Going to the club got old for me as soon as I turned 25 really. It doesn't have the same allure when you have a steady job, girlfriend, and other hobbies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Very nice! I also will be visiting home again this winter and probably later this month. Staying in NJ in August, staying in Brooklyn in the winter. I drive a V8 Impala right now, so no racing slicks for me. :( But the thing is pretty damn nice for what it is. My original car was wrecked by a lady who rear ended me at 45 mph.

When I drove home from Dallas, it was monsooning and when you are coming to the border of AK and TX, it's an uphill drive and my teeth were clenched so hard I was scared they'd crack :laugh:

Would have rather had Wendy's or taken you out somewhere than deal with the toxic ass people I did.
Better idea: cross the border and have Harvey's instead!

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Ditch those people dude. Those friendships are filtered out through the gutters as you get older. I lived it too. Going to the club got old for me as soon as I turned 25 really. It doesn't have the same allure when you have a steady job, girlfriend, and other hobbies.
Yeah I feel it. I was not interested especially after we were dragged to some crappy club. "Clubs" are overrated. Nothing is a club in them. You pay MSG prices for bad food and warm beer. The problem was that this person was mad at me because I was a little put off that she let her friend (a few steps short of a bully, really) hardwire that in, abandon everyone and leaves people outside. I was never a club person anyhow- I am 23. The only real issue is that the person I went for. We've been going out but around this stupid girl she turns into a quiet pushover. She is mad cause she thinks I don't like her anymore, etc. Like it's all that person does-the first time I met her friend she was like "So you don't go out every night?" No... I play hockey, work a career and have other interests.

SO rock and a hard place right now but it'll pass. I don't really intend on being their friends except for 1 guy who left too, who is also a huge hockey fan.

Also @sabremike, never been there! My usual hangout is Gypsy Parlor on Grant.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I look at it as I’d rather pay myself and a bank than pay a landlord

That's the way I looked at it when I bought my house too. Then I started having to do all of the shit my landlord's used to have to take care of and it's crazy how much of a time and money suck owning a house can be. Biggest change for me is that now I have the financial means to afford the house and hire people to take care of the stuff I don't want to deal with myself. Hiring a cleaning lady is the best thing I've ever done. :laugh:

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
That's the way I looked at it when I bought my house too. Then I started having to do all of the **** my landlord's used to have to take care of and it's crazy how much of a time and money suck owning a house can be. Biggest change for me is that now I have the financial means to afford the house and hire people to take care of the stuff I don't want to deal with myself. Hiring a cleaning lady is the best thing I've ever done. :laugh:
+1 on this. Hiring landscapers to cut grass every other week has proved to be a very wise decision. I wouldn't want to be cutting my lawn in this heat with a push mower.

One day I'll be able to afford a cleaning service, but not until I get out from under some renovation and medical expenses first.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
That's the way I looked at it when I bought my house too. Then I started having to do all of the **** my landlord's used to have to take care of and it's crazy how much of a time and money suck owning a house can be. Biggest change for me is that now I have the financial means to afford the house and hire people to take care of the stuff I don't want to deal with myself. Hiring a cleaning lady is the best thing I've ever done. :laugh:
Did you ever live in a condo? I bought one last year, first home purchase. Just like everything, it has its pros and cons, but was curious to see how you compare a house to a condo / townhome (if you can relate).

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Yeah I feel it. I was not interested especially after we were dragged to some crappy club. "Clubs" are overrated. Nothing is a club in them. You pay MSG prices for bad food and warm beer. The problem was that this person was mad at me because I was a little put off that she let her friend (a few steps short of a bully, really) hardwire that in, abandon everyone and leaves people outside. I was never a club person anyhow- I am 23. The only real issue is that the person I went for. We've been going out but around this stupid girl she turns into a quiet pushover. She is mad cause she thinks I don't like her anymore, etc. Like it's all that person does-the first time I met her friend she was like "So you don't go out every night?" No... I play hockey, work a career and have other interests.

SO rock and a hard place right now but it'll pass. I don't really intend on being their friends except for 1 guy who left too, who is also a huge hockey fan.

Also @sabremike, never been there! My usual hangout is Gypsy Parlor on Grant.
I'm the same way, just never was into that whole scene.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
+1 on this. Hiring landscapers to cut grass every other week has proved to be a very wise decision. I wouldn't want to be cutting my lawn in this heat with a push mower.

One day I'll be able to afford a cleaning service, but not until I get out from under some renovation and medical expenses first.

I thought about hiring a landscaper, but I can cut my grass in 15 minutes so I can't justify the cost. Plus I actually don't mind the yard work too much after sitting in an office all day long.

Check around for prices when you can. Depending on where you are it can be surprisingly affordable.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Did you ever live in a condo? I bought one last year, first home purchase. Just like everything, it has its pros and cons, but was curious to see how you compare a house to a condo / townhome (if you can relate).

I actually lived in a condo that I was renting from a friend while he was living abroad. It was nice but I couldn't deal with the restrictions. For me part of home ownership is being able to do whatever I please with my little slice of the earth. The HOA was so restrictive that they even had "trending color palettes" they'd mail out twice a year to residents letting them know what colors they could paint their rooms.

That being said, they had a handy-man on site who was awesome, and all of the amenities (gym, pool, etc) were great. So like you said, there are pros and cons to both. When I started looking for my own house, I looked at condos and townhouses too but didn't really find anything I liked that were in the areas I wanted to live.

If I had to start it all over? I'd pick a single-family home again, but just go with a smaller one. I went for style (mid-century modern) and kinda tossed a lot of other criteria out the window just to find the right style of house. I wound up with 5BR and 3.5BA which was too big for me and my GF, and WAY to big now that it's just me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

My dad used to refer to a house as a sponge. It consumes resources, time and money.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s off topic, but no iphone app for Hfboards?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm the same way, just never was into that whole scene.
Yeah I mean for me I see the kind of people at least around here that go to them and it is a pretty sad/gross bunch. That and it is not really feasible especially when my hobbies are costly and I like to travel, and that is costly as well. Rather spend 170 dollars on a ticket for a game or festival than crappy drinks and covers

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Does anyone else have awful experiences with Verzion Fios

I've been on the phone with 3 different people today, and each one has told me the information the previous person gave me was false and a lie

Like how can they do that?

Plus they've somehow made my bill shoot up 60$

Shittiest company I've had to ever deal with, by far

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I was actually going to switch to them because Spectrum is super shitty and Fios is $15 cheaper for 100/100, when I have 100/10, and it's $5 more expensive to jump up to 300/300, which is totally fine.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I was actually going to switch to them because Spectrum is super ****ty and Fios is $15 cheaper for 100/100, when I have 100/10, and it's $5 more expensive to jump up to 300/300, which is totally fine.
After a phone call with their reps, I have gone from paying 95 a month to 160 a month, for the same service I had before the phone call...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad