HFNHL Top 5 Undrafted Prospects (Post Yours)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With the trade deadline over and many GM's needing some excitement in their lives (at least the ones outside the playoffs or the ones who can no longer deal), I thought that this would be a fun exercise for everyone to do.

Post your team's top 5 undrafted prospects. As in, those guys that you drafted that still don't have their rights owned by an NHL team. This thread can also serve as a reminder around draft and free agent time, of players whose rights are already HFNHL owned.

I'll go first:

Florida Panthers

1. Pavel Gogolev - Guelph Storm
In his final year of NHL Draft eligibility, Gogolev has exploded offensively and is among the league leaders in scoring with the Guelph Storm. Originally thought to be a candidate for the top 100 of his NHL draft year, as a 30 goal scorer, Gogolev has finally found his stride and it seems like he'll finally get drafted this time around.

2. Alex Steeves - Notre Dame
The sophomore forward is tied for the scoring lead with high draft pick Cam Morrison on a solid U of Notre Dame team. Like Gogolev, Steeves was touted as a near automatic draft pick a few years ago but ultimately went undrafted. A '99, Steeves now is an NHL free agent and no longer draft eligible. Should he continue to improve, he could be a top FA college target in the future.

3. Jeremy McKenna - Moncton Wildcats
One of the top overage free agents in the CHL, the undersized winger is a behemoth on the powerplay. He signed an AHL deal last summer but asked to have the contract terminated so that he could play his overage year and try to win a Championship with Moncton. Second in the Q in goals last year, he will finish in the top 3 again this year.

4. Justin Bergeron - Rimouski Oceanic
Really thought Bergeron would get drafted last year after his explosion from the back-end. But he was not. Finds himself near the top of defensive scoring again in the Q and will go for a title with Rimouski. Still NHL draft eligible, but it seems like a longer shot that he gets taken.

5. Marcus Bjork - Brynas IF
'97 born defender who has improved his production in the SHL this year, his second playing above the Allsvenskan, after winning the defender of the year award in the Swedish second division in 2018. At 6'3, 200lbs, Bjork has the side to attract NHL scouts and his 17 points put him 5th among U23 defenseman scoring in the SHL. Seems like a possible free agent signing sometime in the future if he can continue to improve.

Reactions: Vagrant

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
1. Yevgeni Oksentyuk - Flint Firebirds
The reason he went undrafted last year was because no one knew if what he was doing in Belarus would translate. I can say confidently after almost a full season in the OHL that his game has translated to NA, leading Flint in scoring with 74 points in 55 games so far. I am certain he is drafted this year, the round I am not sure.

2. Zachary Okabe - St. Cloud State
Had a great season last year in the AJHL and this year he started off rough for St. Cloud State. In the last couple games his offensive game is starting to show. I'm not sure if anyone will take the risk this year but I think Okabe has room for improvement and a chance to get drafted in his last year of eligability.

3. Eric Uba - Guelph Storm
Uba was playing for one of the worst teams in the CHL last year, which resulted in some poor results. This year for the Storm he has shown more of his offensive upside almost being at a point per game. Although it is tough to take a 19 year old who is only producing a ppg in the OHL. Let's hope this is just a step in the right direction and he will have a solid overage season next year.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
For the Predators that would be (@Brock no idea if you would have Zech and Sawchenko qualify for this list):

D Brinson Pasichnuk - Arizona Sun Devils NCAA
Thats as good as it gets in terms of undrafted prospects, Pasichnuk has been a force at the NCAA level ever since he joined the Sun Devils and he only got better as he gained expierience. He might be only weeks away from his NHL debut.

LW Oliver Okuliar - Lethbridge Hurricanes WHL
After a so-so rookie season in the Q that saw him undrafted, Okuliar signed with Lethbridge and has never looked back. Currently standing at 32+34 in 52 games, numbers which should get him drafted come June.

D Cooper Zech - Providence Bruins AHL (never drafted Zech, so he does not really belong on this list)
Small defenseman with great offensive instincts, very mobile and fast, signed to an AHL contract and working for an NHL deal? Nope, not Sean Walker - thats Cooper Zech. Providence signed Zech after an outstanding freshman season at Ferris State and he is currently adjusting to the AHL pace, certainly with his sight on getting an NHL contract soon, just like Walker did.

G Zachary Sawchenko - San Jose Barracuda AHL
Sawchenko certainly went the long road to pro hockey, quitting the WHL early after going undrafted, then playing canadian college hockey and then signing with the AHL's Barracuda - voices have been calling already demanding the Sharks to sign him to an NHL team after he posted fine numbers in the AHL.

D Adam McCormick - Cape Breton Eagles QMJHL
Another smaller defenseman, an 'A' for the Eagles, McCormick started the season on a terrific pace before an injury slowed him down. A candidate to sign an NHL deal at soem point in the future.

Last edited:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Avs have 6 players who qualify for this list, so we'll expand the list to 6.

Jere Innala: Drafted 174th in 2019. At 5'9 172 Innala is a small skilled winger who was 3rd in goals in the Finnish Liiga in 2018-19. Production has dropped a little, but he has accomplished the goal of bringing in a MD million to the Colorado Avalanche.
Jere Innala at eliteprospects.com

Linus Nyman: Drafted 149th in 2018. At 5'10 159 Nyman is a small skilled winger who was a point a game player in his 135 OHL games before moving back to Finland. In his 2nd season in the Finnish Liiga, he's a 2nd liner for Lukko and has 29 points. Nyman is one point from bringing in a MD million to the Colorado Avalanche.
Linus Nyman at eliteprospects.com

Joona Ikonen: Drafted 151st in 2018. At 5'10 163 Ikonen is a small skilled winger who had a breakout season in the Finnish Liiga in 2018-19, scoring 35 points. This season he's on a similar pace and is currently just two points from bringing in a MD million to the Colorado Avalanche.
Joona Ikonen at eliteprospects.com

Oscar Bjerselius: Drafted 182nd in 2019. Bjerselius is a speedy playmaking 2-way center who hada good WJC18 tournament last year and is expeted to challenge for a place on next years WJC20 roster. Bjerselius has spend most of the season playing in the top Swedish U20 league and has seen a little action up in SHL as well.
Oscar Bjerselius at eliteprospects.com

Simon Gnyp: Drafted 138th in 2019. Born on September 10th, Gnyp is one of the youngest drafted players in the HFNHL. Last year Gnyp wore the C for Germany at the U18A1 tournament, where he was the top scoring defenseman. Gnyp was also the top scoring defenseman in the German U20 league as a 17 year old last year. This year he has been playing in DEL2, where he's the highest scoring U19 player. Gnyp was one of the very last cuts from the German WJC20 team around christmas, but is expected to make the team next year.
Simon Gnyp at eliteprospects.com

Ryan Larkin: Drafted 176th in 2015. Larkin was ranked as the 6th best NA goalie heading in to the draft. He has had his fair share of injuries, but has been able to outplay all contenders during his 4 years as a starter for Miami. At one point Larkin was almost traded in the HFNHL, until the other GM realized it he had offered to move his star player for the cousin of Dylan.
Ryan Larkin at eliteprospects.com

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Wings

1) Jerry Turkulainen Finnish Elite League
134th overall 2018

Amoung the top scorers in the finnish elite league this year he continues to shoot up the depth chart. And proving why i hoped he could be a very good sleeper pick, at 21 i think as a euro this is his last kick at the can for a prospect or he has to sign. But still seems potential is there.

2) Danill Gutik MHL 91st 2019

Almost a PPG player in the MHL(KHL minor league) and an insane 10 points in 4 games in whatever NMHL is. Hes only 18 years old, and i think hes got potential to really be a steal down the road i hope. Could just start to develop as a KHL star though as always is a risk. Hes got a few years of draft eligibility.

3rd Joesph Garraffa OHL 2019 184th

Overager exploded already matching his career best, in 20+ games less. Now of course we see this all the time an does not mean he will be a great NHL. But even if he can carve out a solid role playing spot much like everyone on this list these are not creame of the crop players but could be valueable role players with a few being tanner pearson types who carve out bigger roles.

4th Hugo Leuventius SHL 2019 180th

Decided to go play pro in sweden as he did not feel he was being challenged in the OHL. With 9 points in 46 games against men, its safe to say the transition is rough. Limited role, and minutes means the offense is not flowing as he adjust to a new role.

That is all 4 undrafted guys as the rest of my list is drafted to this point. Only 1 has passed through 2 times, though i question if he will this time

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Not too many I drafted guys still in the system - I cleared a few out last summer. Still with us (for a few more months, at least):

LW Macaulay Carson
RD Martin Bodak
C Nathan Dunkley
RD Will Warm

Pretty confident none of these guys will get drafted, but if you want them, they’ll be available as unrestricted free agents this summer.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Oh Man - this is my category. Although, quite a few of my recent unaffiliated have been drafted in their D+1 years or are now signed pros.

Brandon Biro (NCAA)
- Drafted 177th in 2016 - The Senior at Penn State has been a constant fixture in the top six for one of the best teams in the NCAA over his entire career. Has 116 points in 138 NCAA regular-season games. Will be a sought after free agent this summer. Needs to improve his jump and speed to make it to the NHL. He's a leader as well, captaining this year's top-rated squad.

Ben McCarty (WHL) - Drafted 198th in 2019 - The big kid has a decent pair of hands and plays a strong WHL style game which could translate into the pros. However, his skating needs a ton of work. Still, he was one of the youngest players in last years draft and has scored 60 points in 59 games this, on a Brandon team that relies heavily on him and Luka Burzan (who was drafted last year). He made central scoutings mid-season list at #136 and should rise on that despite being an overager and honestly I would be surprised if he isn't drafted in 2020.

Nick Wolff (NCAA) - Drafted 186th in 2014 - How's this for a long wait? Six years after I drafted him, Wolff will finally go pro after his senior season at Minn-Duluth. He's a big kid at 6'5" and handles the puck really well for such a big guy. But, he's a defence first player. He had two training camps with the Calgary Flames and two with the Boston Bruins, and the rumour is that he'll sign with the latter. The Minn-Duluth captain is a two time NCAA champion.

Anton Malyshev (Russia) - Drafted 192nd in 2018 - The Russian Dman probably won't get a NA pro look - but like Otto Latvala below - he was a key player on the blueline for a top WJC team. A smart player, it's his play without the puck that will determine his future North American chances - and they're really not much to write home about. But he really can defend. An outside chance at getting drafted this year. Not many 19-year-old kids split their D+1 in the KHL and VHL.

Otto Latvala (Finland) - Drafted 211th in 2017 - A totally different styled player than Malyshev but in the same boat. He's big and gangly and defends really well. His agility and skating and simple play with the puck will probably hinder his NA pro chances. But, he's a strong defender who stands at 6'6" and despite only being 20, has played over 50 games this season in Liiga.

Reactions: Vagrant

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Only have two, if we're discounting UDFAs who have already signed and turned pro.

Ryan Siedem: I was surprised he went undrafted out of the USHL last year, and wonder if a solid freshman season at Harvard will help this year. Has played mostly in the top four right out of the gate, effectively although with little offence. Mobile and intelligent, I've had luck with this profile in the mid to late rounds in the past - guys like John Marino, Will Borgen and Andrew Peeke all have similarities - so still some hope for Siedem.

Einar Emanuelsson: Was being talked up as a possible older selection a couple years ago after putting up 13 goals and 26 points in his age 20 season in the SHL. Hasn't really progressed past that level of production though, is still undersized and somewhat of a perimeter player, although he can skate. Long shot for an NHL contract at some point I guess.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Well, I haven't draft anyone in the last four drafts that wasn't drafted by an NHL team. 25/25.

It doesn't mean I drafted well, but at least an NHL team was as equally fooled by some of them as I. Makes me feel only slightly less dumb.

Reactions: Lord Stanley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->