HFNHL RedWings top 15

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Its been a long restock since i took over for my fathers list that featured very little talent. There is no game breakers, but lots of solid future NHLers we hope.

1st) Kaspari Kapanen

Kapanens NHL future is likely not with the Leafs. The speedy, highly skilled player has very little left to prove at the AHL level. Unfortunately, because hes not a great two way player he sits in the AHL despite more talent than many wingers on the Leafs. I suspect within now and the draft Kapanens name is moved as part of the package to bring in a defender to boost the leafs over the top.

Future: Top 6 scoring winger

2nd) Klim Kostin

Kostin comes in second not because hes proven the most, some are more established. However, he comes with the most raw skill. He showed in the WJC why the St Louis Blues traded to draft him. His first NA year started out amazing, till an injury derailed him early after some wondered if hed start in the NHL. A booming shot, and plenty of skill and size Kostin with patience could be a top line winger. Injury history is abit of a concern, and the Russian factor but the skill is there.

Future: Top Line Winger

3rd) Rasmus Anderson

Anderson has been a revilation in the AHL at nearly a PPG. He has shown the puck moving ability to be a top 4 defender for years to come. However, like Kapanen i wonder if his future is with the Flames who boast a crazy deep defense, and have 4 solid prospects in him, Wotherspoon, Vilimaki, Kylington. For now patiences is a virtue, for the AHL all star.

Future: Top 4 two way Dman

4th) Pierre-Oliver Joesph

Joesph is another solid puck moving, top 4 defender. Having a solid season in the QMJHL. He is farther away than Anderson, but he may have higher upside. He comes in to a Phoenix team that just can not catch a break. Could help form a top 4 with OEL, Chyrun in the near future.

Future: Top 4 puck moving defender

5th) Dillion Dube

Small with speed to burn, Dube was impressive leading Canada to gold at WJC. He projects to be a top 9 forward who uses his speed to create scoring chances for his line mates. Hes got plenty of time to grow, as Calgary will not rush his progress.

Future: Top 9 scoring winger

6th) Alexei Lipanov

Having a solid season in Barrie, Lipanov shocked me by coming to play in the OHL. He is a solid two way player who draws comparisions to Toews, the question is how will his offense translate in the big league. A suprise cut by Russia who maybe could have used his two way prowess to prevent a few more goals against.

Future: Top 9 Two way center

7th) Caleb Jones

Jones is a wild card, the Condors are an awful team. With their best players all playing in the NHL trying to get the season back on track. He is a slick puck mover, but his best asset is his skating an defensive play. With the Oilers struggling to keep the puck out of the net, he may find his way on too the NHL sooner than later. For now he remains a project with top 4 upside.

Future: Top 4 two way defender

8th) Jon Gillies

The big American, is 23 and finally got the starter gig in the AHL. He has startes to run with it aswell. There was still some fear, that Parsons/Macdonald may pass him like Riitch did. However for now it seems his career is back on track. Goalies are a fickle beast, for now he still projects to be a starter down the road.

Future: Starting goalie

9th) Ostap Safin

In the OHL hes been amazing, to start the WJC he was great. However when it mattered he like most of the Czechs disapeared. Safin is another player whose hard to read, but he holds all the skill to be a very good top 6 winger if he finds consistency.

Future: Top 9 Power Forward

10th) Maksim Sushko

Belarus was a bad team, but do not tell Sushko that. The winger used his speed an skill, to fuel the offense. He was named Belarus MVP, and was considered a suprise star by sportsnet for the WJC. Still its hard to tell just how much his offense will translate to the pro league.

Future: Top 9 scoring Winger.

11th) Ben Gleason

He is a top 6 defender with a booming shot, and solid skating skills. Looks to be abit of a late bloomer having his best season in the OHL to date. Hope is he can translate to a solid bottom pairing defender

Future: Top 6 two way defender.

12th) Ty Lewis

Small forward, has matched his point total from last year in 30 less games. He may very well be a late round gem, who climbs this chart in the next few seasons. For now he remains a project an a top 9 winger.

Future: Top 9 scoring winger

13th) Maxime Fortier

A skilled winger, whose future is unclear. He could be a top 9 guy, who can play a solid all around game. Another over a PPG season in the QMJHL. If his offense can translate he should have a solid NHL future.

Future: Top 9 NHL winger

14th) Nick Schneider

Schneider has played his entire WHL career on an awful team. So its hard to really get a read on him. He has the talent, and size to be an NHL startee ome day. However, he is a long way away for now. Especially playing for Calgary farm system being the last on the depth chart.

Future: Back up goalie

15th) Ryan Peckford

Peckford is an undrafted forward, but he has plenty of skill. His season in the WHL, should put him firmly on scouts radar. Its unclear if he can crack the NHL. For now projects to be a bottom 6 scorer

Future: Bottom 6 scorer

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
"Its been a long restock since i took over for my fathers list that featured very little talent."

Good list Zac but if you're going to bait me with that line you know I have to respond ;)

Admittedly the makings of an all-star team were not there but the cupboard wasn't bare either with some solid pieces to build on.

The roster included a 20yo Luca Sbisa, a 21yo Ondrej Palat, and a 22yo Cam Atkinson.

Future NHL'ers on the prospect list included Gustav Nyquist, Ryan Spooner, Patrick Maroon, Brendan Leipsic, Jacob Joseffson, Brandon Davidson, Nick Shore, Eddie Lack, and Joonas Korpisalo.
That doesn't include the then prospects that at least saw some NHL action like Reid Boucher, Marc-Andre Gragnani (technically graduated at that point), Chris Terry, Landon Ferraro, Michael Bournival, Austin Czarnik, etc.

Not amazing in retrospect but let's be honest, we all think our prospects are going to be the NBT at first and then reality sets in ;)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
"Its been a long restock since i took over for my fathers list that featured very little talent."

Good list Zac but if you're going to bait me with that line you know I have to respond ;)

Admittedly the makings of an all-star team were not there but the cupboard wasn't bare either with some solid pieces to build on.

The roster included a 20yo Luca Sbisa, a 21yo Ondrej Palat, and a 22yo Cam Atkinson.

Future NHL'ers on the prospect list included Gustav Nyquist, Ryan Spooner, Patrick Maroon, Brendan Leipsic, Jacob Joseffson, Brandon Davidson, Nick Shore, Eddie Lack, and Joonas Korpisalo.
That doesn't include the then prospects that at least saw some NHL action like Reid Boucher, Marc-Andre Gragnani (technically graduated at that point), Chris Terry, Landon Ferraro, Michael Bournival, Austin Czarnik, etc.

Not amazing in retrospect but let's be honest, we all think our prospects are going to be the NBT at first and then reality sets in ;)

burn!!!

Some good prospects on both lists. Klim Kostin was incredible in the worlds... my favorite on this list.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->