HFNHL RedWings Draft Recap

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
I went into the draft with no picks in the first 2 rounds, after a landeskog trade i managed to land a mid 3rd rounder. That being said i had a small list for my late picks figured id get atleast 1 but manged to get 3 so overall im fairly happy with my late picks.

3rd 73rd overall Curtis Douglas

First thing you notice about Curtis Douglas is his size i mean he is 6 foot 8. For a man his size his skating is good enough that hes not going to be a liability on the ice but not enough that hes going to blow by anyone or keep up with the elite NHLers. Douglas finished with 46 points a huge jump from 9. He projects similar to current HFNHL Redwing as Brian Boyle type big man who can play up an down a line up. Long term project top 9 player

4th 103 overall Linus Karlsson

Only only player in the superelit outscored Karlsson and that man is a projected first rounder Jonatan Berggren. The fact that he played a cup of coffee and well he didnt light it up in 13 games he more than held his own in the SHL. He has all the offensive talent, to be an NHLer, all this positive so why is he projected to go as a mid rounder? Well his skating, its not awful but for a man of his size it could use some work. If he can get his skating in order this really could be a steal.
Long time project top 6 winger.

5th 134th overall Jerry Turkulinen

He played in the finnish elite league, put up 33points in 52 games against men. Hes an elite forward infact his numbers are compared to Mikko Ranntanen in the same league. So why is he a project player in the 5th round?. Hes 5 foot 7 he is tiny, he his highly competative and has no issues going behind the net or infront of it, but because of his size he needs to play in an offensive top 6 role to make the NHL.
Long term project top 6 winger

7th round 196th overall Markus Karlberg

Over a point per game in the SuperElit, wait is this a trend? Karlberg like Karlsson ended up in the SHL in 2 games put up 1 goal. Again like Turk his biggest downside is his size at 5'8. I put him a tier below Turk mainly because Turk showed he could play against men in the finnish league, even if it is a lower tier league.
Long term project top 6 winger

Overall i drafted a giant in Douglas, a 6'1 center, and 2 rather small wing projects with high offensive ceiling limited by size. To be a successful NHL team gotta find some hidden gems happy to have landed a few guys im hoping can suprise.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I had Karlsson high on my list for day 2 as well. He has some incredible underlying numbers in the SuperElit, some of the very best in the draft as far as making his team and linemates better when he's on the ice. Good potential there.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Linus Karlsson HFNHL 103rd NHL 87th +16
Curtis Douglas HFNHL 73rd NHL 106th
Markus Karlberg HFNHL 196th NHL 80th +116
Jerry Turkulinen HFNHL 134th NHL Undrafted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->