HFNHL Red Wings top 20 prospects post draft edition

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Seeing as the draft just wrapped up. There has been some shake up to my top 20 along with 4 players who have graduated from this list. Figured id kick off the annual post draft top 20s.

Graduating are top 6 potential forward Luke Kunin, Top 4 defender Rasmus Anderson, and 2 solid role players in Thedor Bleugur, and Jayce Hawrlyk.

1st Jack Hughes Center

Vision, skating, hockey IQ, outside of size he is the perfect package you could ask for in a player. He is the type of player who could change the fortune of a franchise. He jumps not only to number 1 on a continously improving deep list, but hes become the best player on the Wings without having played a game yet. Here is to hoping we have not drafted a Nail Yakupov, Patrik Stephan.

Potential: Franchise center

2nd Joesph Veleno center

Still the only QMJHL exceptional status player. Veleno never really took off like Mcdavid, or Ekblad etc. Veleno till this year really suffered with consistency issues game to game, even shift to shift. It appears he may have turned a corner really exploding this year time will tell. He is a very good hard nosed, high end talent who could turn into a number 1 center if he figures things out. Time will tell

Potential: Top 6 center

3rd Pierre-Oliver Joesph Defense

He is a modern day defender active stick, good first outlet pass, strong skater good size. His issue, is that he is beyond skinny, he needs to put on weight. He can put on some weight he will be a talented top 4 defender. He will take the next step and hopefully having pro trainers can help him bulk up. Something he admits he's having a hard time with.

Potential: Top 4 defender

4th Jake Oettinger Goalie

Jake is a big strong athletic goalie, who despite a poor Boston college team in transition last year his numbers were not awful. His numbers in the short stint in the AHL leave something to be desired, but it is an adjustment to go from college to pros lets hope he does not turn into what Gillies appears to be which is a bust. Hes got a few years before any alarms are raised.

Potential: franchise goalie

5th Klim Kostin Winger

Big strong winger, he has had a tough time transitioning to the AHL so far. He has a strong shot, and a mean streak to his game from what i have heard St Louis is happy with his progress on a poor Blues farm team. He could flee to Russia next year if he struggles again given he will be an RFA and usually Russians dont like sitting in the AHL for very long.

Potential: Top 6 winger

6th Flilip Gustavsson goalie

This is a guy who could really move down this list fast. Gustavsson, first full pro season really left something to be desired posting a 887sv% in 31 games. However, the big swed has only one full season under his belt and given the age of the Sens starter whose struggled with health, and his 2 back ups being fairly medicore a solid season in the AHL could see him get some NHL playing time sooner than later. The Sens hope he is their franchise netminder. He comes in below Oettinger despite similar upside due to age.

Potential: number 1 goalie

7th Ben Gleason defender

Gleason has seen his name skyrocket since i took a flyer on him in the 4th round. He is an offensive defensemen with good size and solid skating. Like many young offensive minded defenders he needs to work on his defensive game, and like Joesph he needs to bulk up. He was a stud as a rookie dman in the AHL last year earning a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Potential: Top 4 defender

8th Nils Hoglander Winger

My first second round pick comes in at number 8. He is not as flashy as the names above him. He is a good solid two way winger, with good offensive instincts, and great skating. He is on the smaller size, which makes him a question mark, and just how good he can be offensively in the bigs. Hoglander is a guy who likely can play anywhere from line 2 to 4 the way he plays.

Potential: Top 9 winger

9th Ryan Mcleod center

He is a middle 6 center, he likely sits as a 3rd line center. He is quick, and plays a solid two way game but just unsure if he has the offensive pop to become more than a 3rd line center. He has potential to be a second liner, but hes a safer pick to be a middle six forward.

Potential: Top 9 center

10th Noah Gregor Center

Late bloomer has some big odds to overcome, the Sharks have signed their core till they are all in their late 30s. They are stuck with a core than will only hold back most of their talented youth. Gregor is a late bloomer, his offense once again is a big question how well will it translate. He is a good skater, and two way player likely going to be a bottom 6 center.

Potential: 2nd line C/likely bottom 6 center

11th Daniil Gutik winger

Another boom of bust guy i believe when i drafted him that i could have a real steal. Many scouting reports say he has the skill to dominate the game, he is a big rangy winger with solid skating, and apparently elite puck handler. He sits lower on the list due to risk factor.

Potential: Boom or bust top 6 winger

12th Filip Westerlund defender

Smooth skating, solid small puck moving defender. He has an outside shot like the 2 above him to reach as a top 4 defender. But it is likely, he transitions to being a solid top 6 defender who can move up the to be a 4 slot incase of injury.

Potential: Top 6 defender.

13th Eemeli Rasanen defender

He is a big physical defender who defends well his skating has improved, but still needs work. He wont wow you offensively though he has a booming shot. His upside is fairly limited but he could be a solid bottom pairing defender for years to come.

Potential: Top 6 defender

14th Ty Lewis winger

He is a shifty, speedy small forward. Who put up okay numbers in the AHL last year as a rookie. He likely is a good 3rd line speedster with some offensive skill. He just needs to find consistency in his game as he is know to take shifts off even games.

Potential: Bottom 6 winger

15th Sean Day defender

Days potential is higher than probably a few above him. He is a former exceptional player. He is big strong solid skater, with a booming shot from the point. Yet he finds himself lower on my list why? The Rangers contonue to stock pile young defenders who jump him on the list. Trouba, Fox, Skeji likely set up their top 3 for the future. Leaving guys like Day, and Rykov(more on him later) as questions. Are they giving up on him already. His biggest flaw seems to be that he just can not put his total package together, he struggles with consistency. Which makes, him a huge boom or bust type player which is why i rank him lower than others who i see as maybe more safe picks.

Potential: Boom or bust Top 4 defender.

16th Ygor Rykov defender

Rykov is more a safe pick defender. He is a big smooth skating defender, who defends well. He wont wow you with his offense, but apparently shows very promising leadership qualities. Some compare him to Mark Methot style dman. Being buried in the Rangers system puts him lower than my similar ranked defenders.

Potential: Top 6 defender

17th Hunter Jones goalie

Like Filip Gustavsson this is a guy who can either rise, or lower himself on this list. Many look at Jones as a very raw goalie prospect. He plays on a very an i mean very bad Petes team. Facing a ton of work he was seen as overworked However, the fact he won player of the week a few times tells me he really has potential. The question is do other teams see it, and can he prove it playing on a better team?. He is a big goalie considered to have the tools to be a starter.

Potential: Back up goalie

18th Ostap Safin winger

He is a big winger, he gas shown flashes of being a very good player maybe one higher on this list one day. However, right now he projects to be a solid bottom 6 winger with some offensive upside to his game.

Potential: Bottom 6 winger

19th Martin Hugo Has defender

Big strong defender, with a good shot and solid not amazing skating. He's a solid bottom pairing defender who some see as maybe more. However for now he sits lower on this list as he is not as far along as others who appear to be safer or higher upside.

Potential bottom pairing defender.

20th Hugo Leufvenius center/winger

Skating really holds him back, between that an consistency. Headed to the swedish elite league next year Hugo is a guy who really could have a shot as a solid bottom 6 guy for many years to come. Passed over in 2 drafts now, the skating has continued to improve which helps him break out with a 6th rounder i figured the upside was worth the gamble.

Potential: Bottom 6 forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad