HFNHL Red Wing Training Camp Stories

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
While camp is officially over there are still some open question marks as a few teams have cuts to make and the picture about actual lineups remains a little fuzzy. Here’s the stories for the HFNHL Detroit Red Wings as they stand now.

Anaheim – The story here, or should I say question, is where will Brandon McMillan be playing. There’s been rumblings about him possibly playing 2nd line LW with the vets Koivu and Selanne but I haven’t found anything to officially confirm or deny this. It’s also possible he may have to play a few games in Europe as a dman. Anaheim has been hit hard with injuries along the blueline and they left with only 6 dmen – 2 of which could likely be in the AHL when the regulars recover.

Buffalo – Making the best of a bad situation both Mike Weber and M-A Gragnani made the squad which wasn’t a given. After the Sabres free agency shopping spree this summer the blueline became pretty crowded so making the team is good news though they’re likely in for less ice time than hoped.

Columbus – I had a feeling there could be a top 9, or possibly top 6 spot, for the taking in Columbus … I just thought Tomas Kubalik was the one to have the best shot at it. A ‘head injury’ early in camp pretty much took him out of the running to start the season but I have little doubt he’ll be up later in the year. The surprise is that Detroit’s recent UDFA lottery pick Cam Atkinson has earned the spot on the 2nd line with Vermette and Umberger (Brassard moved down to third).

Detroit – There was more than a little buzz about Gustav Nyquist all through camp and I was pleased with what I saw of him in the game versus Toronto. He topped his preseason off with a 3 point (2G, 1A) performance Sunday but that wasn’t enough to avoid the inevitable demotion to the AHL. This was still a good news story as I hadn’t gone in with any expectations of Nyquist jumping in this year. Babcock’s comments lead one to believe if he continues to play well in the AHL he’ll be up sooner rather than later.

Florida – A bad news story was the shoulder injury to Mike Santorelli which will keep him out at least the first couple of weeks. The Panthers really changed their team up in the off-season and so there was no guarantee as to if, or where, Santorelli would fit in. This will be an ongoing story to follow.

Minnesota – Like in Columbus there was a mix of good and bad news. Cody Almond’s back injury sidetracked his efforts to make it as a NHL regular however Nick Johnson, who was picked up off waivers, appears to have made the final roster (to be confirmed).

New Jersey – Still too many questions as Petr Sykora awaits a decision on whether he gets a contract and several cuts are outstanding. Sykora signed a UFA contract with Detroit and whether Jersey signs Sykora or not will play into who prospect Jacob Josefsson lines up with. Another prospect, Adam Henrique, is also still in camp but will likely start in the AHL.

Phoenix – Still can’t figure out which line Martin Hanzal will be centering. A few years back Hanzal was one of several perceived stars of the future (Turris, Mueller, Boedker, Tikonov, and Hanzal) for Phoenix but he was the only one that played well defensively. Today he is one of only two that actually emerged as a solid NHL’er so far but he was pigeon holed as a defensive centre and he’s never had a legitimate shot of developing his offensive game. With Miele being sent down, Turris effectively demanding a trade through his contract request, and Langkow’s uncertain health he may actually get a shot as a top 6 centre. In other Phoenix news Brett MacLean had a good camp but wasn’t able to secure a regular spot after a few call ups last year. Maclean was cut on the last day along with Tikhonov (rumoured to be headed to the KHL) and Miele.

Last edited:

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
A couple of updates.

Sykora signed and by all reports Jacob josefsson will be centering Kovalchuk's line. It's just a question if it's going to be Sykora or Zubrus on his wing.

A pleasant surprise is that the combination of the trade of Steckel to the Leafs, the demotion of Zharkov, and a couple of injures have resulted in Adam Henrique not just making the team but getting at least an audition in the role of 3rd line C. Guess I'm actually going to be forced to watch some Jersey games this year.

Finally Brett MacLean was claimed off waivers and could, due to a number of injuries in Winnipeg, get an audition on wing of the 2nd or 3rd lines. If so this would be the 2nd time this year a Wing prospect went from being demoted to the AHL to making an opening night roster as the result of a waiver claim (Nick Johnson being the other). Of course that could all change in a few days but I'm just a 'glass half full' type of guy and won't consider that ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->