HFNHL Post Lottery Top 16 Mock draft

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
With the draft lottery done and over barring some shocking rulings, or trades this is how the draft may go in over a months time.

1st Overall Carolina Hurricanes- Connor Bedard Regina Pats Center

Barring some ruling or a shocking trade, this pick is a slam dunk. Generational talent going to a team with a rather strong forward group. Featuring Barkov, Eriksson Ek and others. He just adds to the embarrassment of riches on forward for a team that picked this low. He wont turn this franchise around on his own, but it sure is a great start.

2nd Overall Edmonton Oilers - Adam Fantelli Michigan University Center

The Oilers have seen 7 GMs since 2019, the longest serving being my father for 2 seasons. The Oilers have holes everywhere, need basically everything besides goalie prospects step up an take a the big hulking center. Would help form a 1-2 punch up the middle for a long time of Rossi/Fantelli. Like Bedard not much to say about this pick he is the 3rd best player in this class but he doesn't have the Russian effect so he goes 2nd overall.

3rd Overall New York Rangers - Leo Carlsson Orebo HK Center

This is where the draft gets less predictable, however after taking the big Czech Winger last year, with a strong defense core an another big name in the pool, an a good group of young an vet wingers but no real legit threat at C i think they take the next Nicklas Backstrom to center their top line for a long time. A slick play making center with a good frame, probably needs an extra year of seasoning but the makings of a great player for a long time.

4th Overall Nashville Predators - Will Smith NTDP Center

I think the dream scenario here for the Preds is Carlsson drops to them at 4, but in this mock I do not see being the case. The preds have an interesting mix of winger/centers of the future with Knies/Sillinger. They could go Mitchkov here, but i think they value potentially adding a number 1 C more than taking the swing on the Russian wingers. Smith exploded in the second half an some mocks even have him 3rd overall. A solid scoring center with a nice mix of passing/shooting.

5th Overall Boston Bruins - Matvei Mitchkov Sochi Winger

I really have no read on the pick here, or if the current GM even keeps the job based on his seeming MIA status. However as a team like the Oilers as a team with a lot of holes, but an even worse prospect pool the Bruins can afford to be patient with Mitchkov as he works his way into a generational goal scorer. Potentially the second best player in this class but falls due to his contract status, and the War.

6th Overall Ottawa Senators - Dailbor Dvorsky AIK Center

The Sens after many years of competing entered a full rebuild under the new GM, i could see them going one of 2 ways based on their prospect pool. Center or defense as i feel they have a decent pool of wing prospects. In this case i went with maybe the safer pick here in Dvorsky who does everything well, but nothing really is elite. They will need to be patient with the kid, though that can be said for most players beyond 3 I think he is like 2-3 years away vs 1.

7th Overall Pittsburgh Penguins - Zach Benson Winnipeg Ice Winger

A pesky winger who has stood out on a star studded roster, which goes to show just how good this kid is. Reminds me a lot of current HFNHL Penguin Sam Bennett. This guy just does not quit on any play, an is willing to go into the tough areas to win puck battles. This feels like a Robb pick here, unless the board shakes up differently.

8th Overall Buffalo Sabers - David Reinbacher Kloten Defense

The Sabers have a solid forward core, led by star center Brayden Point. They lack a high end defensive talent. Reinbacher, has been considered the Mo Seider of this draft class. They play similar styles of hockey, smart physical heads up hockey with a good pass first instinct. I think the Sabers are happy to see him fall to them at 8 an run to the podium to snatch up potentially the best defensemen.

9th Overall Arizona Coyotes - Oliver Moore NTDP Center/Winger

The Coyotes could go anywhere they have a strong prospect in just about every position, this means they can sit back an take who they feel is the best player available. Moore seems to fit that bill here, he's a smaller but highly skilled center/winger who projects to be a highly skilled offensive minded forward. Its unclear if he will turn into a center or a winger at the NHL level.

10th Overall New York Islanders - Andrew Cristall Kelowna Rockets Winger

If anyone is willing to take a swing for the fences in hopes of hitting a home run its Zack, Cristall is infuriating to watch for scouts. Some scouts have his offensive ceiling being among the best in the entire class. However, his extreme lack of work ethic an willingness to play in the defensive zone. If this guy hits he's a top line offensive juggernaut, if he doesn't well i don't think he make the nhl at all given his lack of skills to play lower in the line up.

11th Overall Calgary Flames - Axel Sandin Pellikka Skelleftea AIK Defense

The Flames have a fairly good forward core for the future, but lack a high end defensive prospect, or even player on the roster. Pellikka split between the SHL and the junior league, and did not look out of place as an offensive defensemen. He is going to need time, but who wont at this pick. He has a great upside, and could be a very good top 4 defensemen for a long time if he hits.

12th Overall Minnesota Wild - Ryan Leonard UTDP Winger

The Wild run up to the podium to snag the man whose falling based on many mock drafts. He is an ultra competitive winger who pushes the pace of the game. He has a good shot an good skater, he could even be a player moved to the center ice position as he only transferred over to the wing this year to play with Smith. His strong work ethic makes him a safer pick, even though he may not have the upside as those above him he could be the perfect complementary piece to highly offensive players.

13th Overall Chicago Blackhawks - Nate Danielson Brandon Wheat Kings Center

The Hawks need a lot of talent they have some strong players at the wing, and some defense but they lack a big center prospect Danielson may not be the among the best centers in the class. However, he has a strong two way game, good size, and competes each an every night. The question about his ultimate upside is what will his offensive ceiling be at the NHL level. Think he has all the tools to be a very good 2nd line center the Hawks could use.

14th Overall Seattle Krakken - Colby Barlow Owen Sound Attack Winger

Being the newest franchise the Krakken do not have the deepest or strongest pool. They have 2 pillars to build around in Berniers/Nemec now they add a high end offensive goal scoring winger to put along side Berniers for a long time to come. Not only did he score almost 50 goals in the OHL, but he's actually not one dimensional like many of his elk. He can play a smart 2 way game as he was counted on to kill penalties.

15th Overall Vegas Golden Knights - Brayden Yager Moose Jaw Warriors Center

Yager had a disappointing offensive season by his standards, but his track record in the WHL suggests he will be just fine. Someone needs to tell the kid he's got a good shot an to use it more, he is very active in all ends of the ice an is willing to play defense. He could project to be a very good second line center for a team as long as the team who grooms him takes a hands on approach. I think hes a fairly safe pick to be an NHL at some level due to his compete, and his defensive accumen.

16th Overall New York Islanders - Dmitri Simashev Lokomotiv Defense

With the Islanders going forward and riskier pick, I think they go defense an a bit safer albeit with great upside. Simashev is a great modern day defensive defensemen, with a good stride a size. He played in the KHL at this age an as a regular an a defensemen, is rather impressive. I think his well rounded game makes him a safe bet if he comes over, to be at worst a bottom pairing defender. However, if he can find a better offensive game as he ages he could have the makings of a very good top 4 defender in the vein of Adam Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad