HFNHL Oilers WJC Recap

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm surprised we didn't see more of these this year...

The Oilers didn't have as many players represented at this years WJC and even fewer that played a key role with their team. In all 4 Oilers prospects participated this year, one from each of the top 4 teams...

Anton Lander - SWE
Counted on more for his leadership than scoring, Lander wore the 'C' for Sweden and was a key faceoff man. He finished with 1G, 3A and was a +4 in 6 games.

Derek Forbort - USA
From what little I watched of Team USA I saw next to nothing from Forbort on the ice. Looking at his stat line backs that up as he was good for 0's across the board in 6 games. Clearly the coaches didn't think the teams 2nd youngest defenseman was ready for much responsibility yet. Hoping for a bigger performance from him next year.

Simon Despres - CAN
Injuries have slowed Despres down a little. Early on I thought he was a lock for Team Canada but he turned out to be one of the last guys to make the team and never really grabbed a key role. Statistically he finished with 0G 3A and was a respectable +7, good for 3rd on the team.

Igor Bobkov - RUS
Strange tournament for Bobkov. He entered as the #1 guy, got shelled by Canada in the opening game and lost his job. After sitting for 5 straight games he was thrown into the final tonight in an attempt to spark his team. In a little over 33 minutes of action he stopped all 20 shots he faced, was named POTG for Russia (how did Kuznetsov not get it for that 3rd period alone?) and helped his country to the gold medal.

Narrowly missing the cut this year...

Brandon Pirri - CAN
Calvin Pickard - CAN...maybe if he made the team he wouldn't have &#*@ the bed in the 3rd!
Ryan Howse - CAN
Alexei Marchenko - RUS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->