HFNHL Oilers Top Prospects

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Alright so I know I will get some ribbing about most of these not even making a top 50 list for other teams but well get there.

Areas of Depth: Goaltenders and supporting players
Areas to improve: Top end forwards
Graduated: Juuso Valimaki

Top 15

1. Peyton Krebs (C)
Effective in all three zones he is the only potential top 6 forward in the organization at this time.
While the season started late for Kreb's with his off season surgery, it looks like he hasn’t lost a step and already has 24pts in just 19games in the WHL.
2. Kirill Ustimenko (G)
With many good goalie prospects it may shock some to see his name first. It was close but my gut is he will develop into the best of them all. I still see him as a future starter or 1B at the least.
Getting his NA debut in the ECHL can be misleading due to Philly's glut of goalie bodies. Consider Felix Sandstrom, which many Philly fans incorrectly rate ahead of Ustimenko IMO, is also starting in the ECHL and Ustimenko is so far well outplaying him.
A very athletic and skilled goalie he is a passable 6'3" for today's NHL. He'll likely move up next year when some space opens up.
3. Joel Hofer (G)
After a sub par 1st year as a starter the 6'5" tender has turned things around leading the WHL in Sav% & GAA in addition to being the best in those categories at the WJC.
4. Erik Portillo (G)
Big 6'6" goalie keeps getting better and was rewarded with joining Swedens WJC team even though he never got to play. Next year he will test himself in NCAA Div I with the University of Michigan
5. Brogan Rafferty (D)
On a ridiculous trajectory. He may fall back to reality later but for now moves ahead of Samuelsson in the organization.
Considered a smart all-round dman he has been shockingly good in his rookie AHL season. He not only leads all AHL dmen in the league, he is tied for 11th among all AHL skaters in points and 6th best +/- in the league.
6. Mattias Samuelsson (D)
Truly his fathers son. Will never be considered an offensive threat but he'll be playing 20+ minutes a night keeping the opposition in check for years to come.
7. Pyotr Kochetkov (G)
Athletic and quick, as good as Ustimenko IMO, it's only the trend towards larger goalies which drops him on this list. He's moved up to a full-time stint in the KHL this season.
8. Layton Ahac (D)
A potential hidden gem, the average sized 2way dman has a good hockey IQ and so far his transition to the NCAA has been good. As a freshman with Ohio State he leads the team in +/- (+11).
9. Leon Gawanke (D)
In his rookie AHL season he has largely come as billed - a rangy offensive dman with a hard shot. Despite missing 10 games he is leading the teams dmen in pts/gm. DF still isn't great but not as bad as feared.
10. Jett Alexander (G)
Yes another goalie. Big 6'5" goalie remains a great prospect but keeps shooting himself in the foot trying to over manage his own future.
11. Alexander True (C)
6'5" old school power forward looks more like a bottom six NHL'er and could become a regular if he can improve his discipline.
12. German Rubtsov (C)
Former 1st rounder of prior management has looked like a write-off on more than one occasion but he's having a bit of a resurgence. Skilled forward with an aggressive pest element but he always struggled to put it all together and then of course there is the never ending injuries.
His upside remains tantalizing if he can sty healthy and develop properly.
13. Slava Demin (D)
Projecting Demin's NHL future has been hard. The smart 2way dman is good all-round and his development in the NCAA appears on track. Could be an NHL regular or a journeyman.
14. Oskar Steen (C)
After a breakout year in the SHL the small feisty fwd is making his AHL debut. While be best projects as a bottom six guy for most teams his style fits in well with Boston so he may exceed those projections.
15. Vladislav Sukhachyov (G)
Drafted by previous management he remains an intriguing undrafted mystery man. Only 5'10" but keeps statistically dominating the VHL plus semi regular KHL callups with good showings.
HM Gage Quinney (C)
A feel good story of a guy with great hockey sense and work ethic but no elite skills. With some good hands he's been putting up solid points as he has improved his skating. Good in all three zones with the only plus rating (+6) on a bad AHL team.
In many ways he compares well to the likes of Adam Brooks who just recently got called up to the Leafs.
HM Mathias Lafreniere (RW)
A 'wait and see' prospect. As a late bloomer he continues to put up great numbers though he is reported to be have better vision setting up teammates goals than creating for himself.​

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Rubtsov was an intriguing package in his draft year. Upside obviously has to be tempered, but reason for hope. But the goalie mining has been fascinating. Projection is always so hard with goalies, but you’ll end got depth and quality to work with.

Kochetkov was my primary target last summer, (well, after Kakko, ahem), but you scooped him ahead of me. Still early in the rebuild, but having quality assets like this to build around will pay off in the end.

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks Douglas.

As an FYI, pending league confirmation of the trade, Kochetkov will be part of a different organization you can try and pry him from ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad