HFNHL Off Season Sim God Thread

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
So, barring errors, I believe that all is up to date.

Today I completed all the contracts updates, prospect releases and added the draft.

Next is Free Agency. That may be preceded by new PRELIM ratings.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
:bow:

We truly are not worthy.

Hope Erin feels better soon - I missed Canada Day - and my 3-year-old's first big fireworks display - with a nasty cold, spent the most beautiful weekend ever in bed. :cry:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
As of July 24th

Trades are all up to date.
Free Agent Signings from first round up to date
New UDFA players created and signings up to date
Changed Sens GM - Brought $$ up to $10 per new GM rules
Changed Pens GM Email
Added Awards Cash to bank accounts

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I am having some trouble with my Parallels partition - it is not Mountain Lion compatible - so sorry for the file update delays. Sickness has also delayed the UDFA lottery. But don't worry - its still on again for this year.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
So I thought everyone might like an update on where we are.

I'm about 98% of the way through adding in all the new ratings (have not been published yet though on the official site) - and almost through adding in all the free agency contracts. I've created all the rookies and UDFA's (which is a very cumbersome process as it requires researching every individual player detail.)

That said, all the ratings have been created (by the wonderful team of Quain, Emerson, Kreuger & Isopaa) and we will be doing a thorough test of these ratings, as will SimGods in other leagues.

Other tasks that I've yet to complete are adding a couple more team endorsement funds and Euro/Retired player removals.

Needless to say, despite the quiet, we are far more prepared for the upcoming season than we have ever been. In fact, if we wanted to we could start this week. :D I think there is a distinct possibility that we could sim day for day with the NHL, if only the NHL gets its act together.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Great news indeed. Just want to underscore the caveat that the ratings have to be tested: this means they are not final, we may have some tweaking to do based on the output of test seasons.

Any tweaking would be made to formulas, not individual ratings, do any effects would be consistent across the league. An example wod be when we had to scale back blueliners' offensive numbers a couple of seasons ago because they were out-scoring top forwards in pre-season. Those are the sorts of anomalies we'll be watching for and addressing: ones that affect the balance and realism of the sim.

Another example we'll be paying close attention to in testing will be goalie endurance and durability. Last year several teams were able to play their starting goalies for all 82 games. Not realistic! We believe our test ratings have addressed that, making it more necessary (or advisable, at least) to make sure your backup gets some starts, but we won't know if we've found the right balance until after some test seasons are run.

So keep in mind that the preliminary ratings posted in the yahoo group files are just that - preliminary, and that any changes will be made to formulas to ensure their fair application across everyone's players.

Even so, fantastic and unheard-of progress to have made at this point. Wish we could say the same about NHL labour talks. :(

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
My issue is goalie ratings bug time MacDonald 72 ? But Bobrovsky and Budaj are lower 67 and 68 both played more games last 3 seasons lol

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
My issue is goalie ratings bug time MacDonald 72 ? But Bobrovsky and Budaj are lower 67 and 68 both played more games last 3 seasons lol

Both skaters and goalies are based on the last 164 games (or last two full seasons). Goalies were ranked based on a formula with multiple variables, and those variables and rankings were closely vetted. Ville can doubtless speak to it in detail, but shouldn't have to - the relative rankings are pretty consistently fair based on the players' actual performances. I suggest you ignore the names, and just look at the three goalies' numbers over the last couple of seasons.

EDIT: I should add that I'm not exactly thrilled with Travis Zajac's rating myself, but in going over the newest for the past couple of seasons, they're hard to argue with. Conversely, I'm generally pleased with the ratings for Columbus' blueline, (all pending testing, of course!), so I can't complain. I suspect that will be the case for all teams: a few guys they thought would rate out higher, a few guys lower. It should balance out. What matters now is how you manage your team based on the ratings you've got, to make the most of your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard