HFNHL NYI Draft Recap

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
This was the busiest day one of the draft in GM Zack's tenure. It started with a trade before the draft saying good bye to Dylan Strome and a 5th 2022 for Mats Zuccarello, 3oth overall pick and 33rd overall pick

23rd Overall - Kaiden Guhle
This was the guy I was hoping to be available at 23. Guhle is the best defence man on arguably the best defensive team in the CHL Prince Albert. Guhle is a big guy too 6'3 185, plays a good physical game with high IQ. He is also an above average skater for his size, with really long strides and all around smoothness. He also showed a huge improvement offensively improving from 17 points last year to 40 this year. I also believe there is room to grow for him offensively as he is currently playing on a team which focuses on defence, that the moment he gets to a more offensive minded team he can start to develop a better game.

30th Overall - Traded to CBJ
I decided to trade down getting the 41st and 109th for 30th.

33rd Overall - Traded to ANA
I acquired Jason Zucker for Mats Zuccarello, 33rd and EDM 7th 2021. I really like the value of Zucker at his contract and think he is only going to improve playing with Sidney Crosby for a full year.

41st Overall - Traded to FLA
I was targeting Martin Chromiak with this pick and was SO CLOSE to getting him until Jeff jumped in front of me to get him. I ended up getting 58th and 68th for 41st and 129th

58th Overall - Tyler Kleven
Another big body defence man, Kleven played for the USNTDP this year. This felt like a safe pick for me as I think he has a high floor as a top 6 defence man and a penalty killer. He is very physical and can break up a play in many ways with the body or his stick. He is also surprisingly fast for his size and uses it well on defence. The one big weakness is his offensive game. He was once considered a top prospect but the points never came. I still think he has offensive potential, but worst case is he is a dependable Defensive defence man.

68th Overall - Justin Sourdif
What stands out to me is Sourdif's playmaking ability and his IQ. He has the skill to make a fancy play and dish it to his wide open teammate. He can also play a two-way game with his high IQ, always seems to have good positioning on defence. Another above average skater, with great edge work and agility. The knock on him is his size at 5'11, but he is also on the younger side of this draft so I am banking on him growing this offseason and putting up monstrous numbers next year.

85th Overall - Emil Heineman

He had one of the best bounce back seasons out of all Draft Eligible players. Heineman only had 1 goal last year in the SuperElit, compared to the 26 he scored in 29 games. Heineman doesn't have that amazing goal scoring shot but he always seems to be in the right place in front of the net. He plays a very physical game, on both sides of the ice. He will layout anyone in his way and then beat you in a foot race to the puck. Heineman also has great straight-line skating, which helps on offensive rushes and to get back on the defensive side. I think he is pretty good defensively but not great. Although he is one of the oldest players in this draft I think he still has room to grow. I also think his game is better suited for smaller ice and could benefit playing on North American ice. Another promising sign is close to the end of the year when he was called up to the SHL he was playing 15-17 minutes a game, basically locking a spot on the team next year.

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Sorry again about Chromiak. As I'll note in my own review, that was a player I had attached to for whatever reason and was working hard to acquire him.

Kleven was on my short list for 62 so when he was gone it helped push me in the direction of trading that pick to the Flames. Sourdif seems like a good value pick where you got him as well. He was another one in consideration for 62. Ratings for him a little all over the place but they all seem to like some of the unique skill elements he brings so I like the pick.

Reactions: Zack22

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
The trades were good little moves, and Guhle will no doubt play. Heineman is going to be interesting. I watched quite a bit trying to figure him out as a possible second rounder. Although I'm not super confident, I do think he's for real - he looked good at the U19 Five Nations, and not merely in a plugger kind of way. Reviews of his late season trial in the SHL were good too. Not sure what his upside is, but the production is real, it's not like he was shooting 25% and is bound to regress.

Reactions: Zack22

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
Day 2 picks

109 – Traded FLA
I liked a lot of people in day 2 but thought I could get some of them in the later rounds. Ended up acquiring a 3rd in 2022. The more day 1 picks the better!

161st Overall – Daniel Ljungman
After Hlinka Gretzky tournament Ljungman was looking like a potential first rounder, after scoring 4 goals and 5 points in 5 games. Unfortunately it was followed up with 23 points in 40 SuperElit games. Ljungman still has a good build at 6’0 170, a great shot and above average IQ. He is on the younger side of this draft too, which leads me to believe he could easily pick up his game. I think there was little risk taking him in the sixth round but if he can find his game that he left at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament he could be a steal.

209th Overall – Matthew Gleason
Was an incredible offensive talent in Minnesota state hockey this year. He was captain of his team and a Mr. Hockey Finalist. He played both special teams and his coaches loved coaching him. He ended up with 73 points in 25 games. I am excited to see what he can do at a better level whther its in college or with the Chicago Steel in the USHL. One big knock on him is his size being only 5’8.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad