HFNHL Lightning Draft Recap

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
This draft didn't exactly go according to script for me. At 19 I had a shortlist of players I liked, and despite the fact one of the guys I had hoped would be available (Harley) was still on the board, I traded the pick away. I felt the value of falling to 25 and moving up from 53 to 36 was too good to pass on as I had a few players I liked in each spot. In the end I landed one true target, a couple guys who were at the bottom of short lists for each of my 2nds, and a straight value pick in the 3rd.

1.25 - Matthew Robertson, D - 6'3, 201 lbs - Edmonton, WHL

robertson.whl_-690x388.jpg

Robertson brings a very unique package of size, skating and skill. Perhaps not a pure offensive talent he shows the ability contribute on the rush and pinching in the offensive zone and has a heavy shot. In the defensive zone shows good shutdown ability and has the size to play a physical game. What ties it all together is really strong skating for a player his size giving him hopefully a strong chance at making it to the NHL if either the offense or defense can continue to develop even a little bit. This was a player in consideration at 19 so I was happy to land him at 25.

2.36 - Pavel Dorofeyev, W - 6'1 167 lbs - Magnitogorsk 2, MHL

Dorofeev2.jpg

After the trade to drop to 25 and move up to 36 in the 2nd round I had a list of 6 guys in the range I was hoping to land, and as it often works, 4 of them were gone by the time I was up leaving me deciding between my last two options in Dorofeyev and Pelletier.

In the end my love for Mother Russia pushed me to selecting Dorofeyev, a highly skilled winger. On skill alone he could be a 1st round pick but I also wouldn't be surprised if he fell in the NHL draft as can happen when talking Russian prospects. He's great with the puck on his stick and is able to control the pace of the play to set up scoring chances. Not a speedster but is a generally effortless skater with good agility. Needs to add some strength of course if he hopes to withstand the NHL game. Killed it in the MHL this season and one of a handful of teenagers to get regular time in the KHL after a mid-season call up.

2.50 - Maxim Cajkovic, W - 5'11 185 lbs - Saint John, QMJHL

cpt504517709.jpg;w=630

I was hoping for a break at this pick but my initial targets went between 36 and here. The short list for this pick was Cajkovic, Legare and Fagemo. Time will tell if I picked right as Legare and Fagemo were selected in the next 5 picks.

Cajkovic was actually a bit of a disappointment (and that might be an understatement to some) as the 1st overall pick in the CHL Import Draft this season. He struggled badly early on and was even a healthy scratch at points. He eventually figured things out and managed to improve his play on a weak Saint John team. He's an excellent skater with a high hockey IQ that allows him to make things happen in the offensive zone. More of a shooter than passer and might need to play with some better linemates to get the best out of him. We will see next season if it was simply a first half slump or if he's just that inconsistent.

3.79 - Shane Pinto, C - 6'2 192 lbs - Tri-City, USHL

MediaHandler.ashx

My initial target for this pick was Yegor Spiridonov who went at 73. By the time I was up at 79 I picked someone I hadn't put much serious thought into but represented the 50th ranked skater on my draft board so I just couldn't pass despite not being a real target at any point.

Pinto brings good size and strength to the Center position. Started out on a weaker team and produced at a PPG rate before being traded to a top Tri-City team and sustained his production. Some doubt his overall skill and think he's just good at using his size against smaller players but others see someone with good puck skills and a decent shot. Either way, if he can develop the offensive skills a little and continue to use his size to his advantage I like what I have. Committed to North Dakota next season so we'll get a look at what he can do against older/stronger kids.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
I was never really that high on Robertson, but I feel like he could be a safe pick and end up having a long career in the NHL as a 3-6th depending on what point he's at along the way journeyman defender something like a Ron Hainsey or Marc Methot. So while those might not be exciting names getting a player like that late in the first isn't a bad thing.

I was high on Cajkovic at points during the year but he left me wondering, he has the talent though if he can put everything together to be a steal for you.

Pinto I considered with each of my 3 third round picks I had before you selected him at 79, he was just never the top guy on my list. I had him ranked 55 and would have selected him with my final 3rd 81st overall if he was still on the board.

Reactions: Canuck09

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I like Robertson quite a bit actually, and think he's the kind of player who's stock dropped this year for no reason other than over-exposure. He isn't the kind of player who will blow you away, but at the Hlinka and U18s last year, I didn't think the gap between he and Byram was that large. He'll play.

The other three forwards all have their own intrigue. Some pretty forward thinking draft nerds are keen on Cajkovic, even if he no longer seems to be knocking on the door of the first round. Pinto is though, and if teams see him sticking at centre, he could easily be one of the first off the board Saturday.

Reactions: Canuck09

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I think you (as whoever takes Robertson early Saturday morning) will be vindicated on Robertson in short order - I think he’s the kind of player you win with, and well worth a first-round pick.

The rest of the way I feel you drafted for upside, and did a fine job doing so.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
I find it interesting that Dorofeyev and especially Robertson did not go higher in the NHL. I especially like the Pinto-pick. There could be a Sean Kuraly with more offense.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Pinto is though, and if teams see him sticking at centre, he could easily be one of the first off the board Saturday.
It's almost like you were in the Senators war room. Can't say I expected him to go this early at all.

I think you (as whoever takes Robertson early Saturday morning) will be vindicated on Robertson in short order - I think he’s the kind of player you win with, and well worth a first-round pick.
I was pretty disappointed at the time when he was in free fall but I'm happy with where he ended up and still feel good about the prospect.

I find it interesting that Dorofeyev and especially Robertson did not go higher in the NHL. I especially like the Pinto-pick. There could be a Sean Kuraly with more offense.
I of course hoped Dorofeyev might sneak into the late 1st but I was also prepared for him to fall so it didn't bother me as much as Robertson falling. Falling all the way to 79th was a bit of a surprise but I'm OK with where he landed. Cody Glass will need someone to pass the puck to eventually.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Rounds 4-7 recap...

4.100 - Nikita Okhotyuk, D - 6'1 191 lbs - Ottawa, OHL

Nikita-Okhotyuk-Ottawa-CHL.jpg

Okhotyuk was the top player on my round 4 board so I was happy to land him at 100. Perhaps not a super high upside pick, Nikita plays a strong North American style game. He's a good skater, generally shows strong defensive play, and isn't shy about being physical. Offensively he's left some wanting more. If he can develop that side of his game a bit he's got a shot to be a #4-6 D.

4.103 - Graeme Clarke, W - 5'11 175 lbs - Ottawa, OHL

Graeme-Clarke-Ottawa-67s.jpg

Right back to Ottawa again snagging Okhotyuk's teammate in scoring winger Graeme Clarke. There's some concern over his skating and compete level but his puck skill and shot are generally very highly rated. Stuck down the depth chart on a deep Ottawa forward group but still managed 23 goals. Should see a spike in production next season and could increase his stock even more if he can improve his skating a bit.

5.126 - Arseni Gritsyuk, W - 5'10 170 lbs - Omskie Yastreby, MHL

gritsyuk-320x180.jpg

Wow was it hard to even find a picture of this undersized Russian winger. Gritsyuk rated all over the place but I was really happy to land him as I continued to draft high skill players more often than not this season. He's not a speed burner but is an excellent skater and can work his way through traffic and put himself in good position in the offensive zone. Competes hard despite his size but will of course need to add strength if he's going to do that in North America. Has all sorts of puck skills to set himself up for shots but is also a good playmaker.

5.134 - Cameron Rowe, G - 6'2 200 lbs - US NTDP

NEXT_Rowe.jpg

Spent the year backing up top goalie prospect Spencer Knight so didn't get a ton of action. Committed to North Dakota next season so will hopefully get some more games in. Very athletic and doesn't give up on a play but sometimes gets himself in trouble and puts himself out of position. Part of a draft day trade with the Hurricanes didn't see him stay in the Tampa system long at all.

5.143 - Matej Blumel, W - 5'11 198 lbs - Waterloo, USHL

cut.jpg

Bit of a strange pick here. Went undrafted in the NHL last year but was picked in the HFNHL. Unexpectedly released by the Maple Leafs and remained eligible so I had him high on my day 2 list. Has good size and plays an aggressive game mixing it with good offensive abilities. Secoond on his USHL team with 30 goals and 60 points in 58 games. Committed to UConn next year with line mate Vladislav Firstov.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As a quick recap on my draft here's how the picks stacked up against the NHL...

ProspectNHL TeamNHL PickHFNHL PickDifference
Matthew RobertsonRangers4925-24
Pavel DorofeyevGolden Knights7936-43
Maxim CajkovicLightning8950-39
Shane PintoSenators327947
Nikita OkhotyukDevils6110039
Graeme ClarkeDevils8010323
Arseni GritsyukDevils129126-3
Cameron RoweUndraftedN/A134N/A
Matej BlumelOilers10014343
Luka BurzanAvalanche171113 (2018)-58
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Having Rowe go undrafted (he has since been traded for Trent Miner who was a late 7th pick) was balanced out by Burzan being selected this time around. I ended up with 6 F, 2 D and 1 G for a fairly balanced draft. This might be my most diverse draft in terms of leagues represented as I went to 7 different leagues with my 9 picks: WHL, KHL, QMJHL, USHL, OHL, MHL and USNTDP.

Reactions: albertascout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad