HFNHL Lightning 2020 Draft Recap

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
It was a strange season. I was at the top of the division, I was out of the playoffs, eventually landing as the second wildcard team in the East and the projected 18th pick in the draft. An unexpected playoff run later and I was set to pick 31st with little in the way of other picks to replenish a prospect base that was recently ranked 23rd in the league. A few cap crushing trades later and I had landed the 35th pick, but still only held 6 picks this draft overall.

Some last minute cramming left me somewhat prepared for my first couple picks. Rankings were all over the place but I had identified a few players I liked for each selection, and in the end, got a player from my shortlist at one spot and the prime target for my other pick. By the time the end of the 2nd round came around I wasn't comfortable enough with anyone so I traded out, making this the smallest day one draft class in my Lightning tenure. Hopefully I can make up for it next season where I've accumulated 11 picks to date.

1.31 - Marat Khusnutdinov, C - 5' 10, 176 lbs - SKA, MHL

ERDabLZW4AEAHje-1030x686.jpg

As my pick was nearing it seemed Peterka might actually fall all the way to 31. I briefly considered trading up, but when he went 27th, I knew I could sit tight and end up with someone on my short list. I was hoping to add O'Rourke, who went the spot before me, leaving me deciding between Khusnutdinov & Reichel (who went 32nd). Ultimately, I once again caved to Mother Russia, selecting the undersized Marat Khusnutdinov. Much like my selection of Dorofeyev last year, I fully expect he could fall in the NHL draft.

What Marat brings is strong skating ability, high level skill and good compete level. Plus he's generally regarded as a leader for his age group of Russian players. Yes he's smaller but there's more than enough other positives to his game that he seems the type that can overcome....if he ever comes over that is.

I was up again at 35 only a few picks later with a single player in mind. It felt early to take him so I traded down to 47 in exchange for a couple extra picks. A sense of panic started to hit and I immediately start looking into trading back up from 47 to ensure I got my guy...and thank goodness I did.

2.40 - Martin Chromiak, RW - 6', 187 lbs - Kingston, OHL

KI.Kingston-Frontenacs-Erie-Otters-during-Ontario-Hockey-Lea-3.jpg

I don't recall what specific site/publication tipped me off but I was immediately interested in Chromiak. A top Slovakian prospect for his age group that made a successful mid-season transition to the OHL, finishing the season with 33 points in 28 games with Kingston. He's an offensively gifted forward that managed to ride shotgun with Shane Wright. He's a skilled offensive player that can do a bit of everything. Some mixed reviews on his skating and consistency but as one of the younger players in the draft he has a little extra time to sort that out. I'm excited about what he can do next season.

When the 62 pick came up I bailed and traded for a 2021 2nd along with a 4th this year. Day two picks 104, 124 & 125 are on deck to hopefully add to this small crop.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Ultimately, I once again caved to Mother Russia...

That's a dangerous way to live, but at least you aren't President.

I like Marat a lot. Plus skating, good motor, got better as the year went along. And I'm not sure he goes much lower in the NHL either - I think the Five Nations tourney in February, at which he performed very well in February - will end up being quite a significant event for this draft class without any other showcase international tournaments.

Reactions: Canuck09

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Day 2 update...

Heading into the later rounds I initially held 3 picks but made a trade to move down from 124 in exchange for 160, 178 and the all important final pick of the draft (217). This gave me a total of 7 picks in the draft so I could keep more bodies churning through the system.

4.104 - Maxim Groshev, RW - 6' 2", 194 lbs - Nizhnekamsk, KHL

VE191105R-157.jpg

At this point I just can't help myself. It might actually be a problem I need to seek help about. This talented Russian was 3rd on my list but #1 in my heart. At least he's over 6' and size won't be something that holds him back. Groshev has pro size, strong skating, competes hard and flashes skill. Unfortunately he disappointed at the WJC and he's getting teenager in the KHL treatment so ice time and production are sorely lacking. I like the package he brings and think it can translate well to North America if he ever gets drafted and decides to come over.

5.125 - Brayden Peters, G - 6' 1", 201lbs - Calgary, WHL

76164240-hitmenaction034-wjpg_large

A relative unknown in the scouting community, this was probably a reach and could've been a later pick, but I targeted a goalie here and this is the one I got. One of Redline's higher rated goalie prospects and favorite sleepers for the year, Peters is on the smaller side but brings a lot of compete to make up for it. Like most goalie picks, who knows what I have here and it will likely be a few years before I know much of anything.

6.160 - Mason Millman , D - 6' 1", 176lbs - Saginaw, OHL

12-millman,-mason-(39)-ep.jpg

Millman was one of 3 HFNHL re-entry players on my list for day two and I was a little surprised to get him this late. He was a 4th round pick of the Flyers last year and made great strides this season. His biggest strength is strong skating ability and throughout the season the rest of his game improved as well. I'm not exactly sure of what he projects to be in the NHL given the spike in development, but if he has another strong OHL season next year, I'm hoping for a nice depth option.

6.178 - Zach Uens, D - 6' 2", 185lbs - Merrimack, NCAA

d48f86f86bd86bd10718fbe9fa68f471-cropped.jpeg

Uens was passed over in the NHL last season coming out of the OJHL but after a successful transition to the NCAA he might get a little more attention this year. He's a strong skater with good puck moving skills that helped him become the top scoring freshman D in Eastern college hockey. Still some work to do but he's another player with a spike in development that caught my attention.

7.217 - Theo Rochette , C - 5' 10", 161lbs - Quebec, QMJHL

cut.jpg

Mr. Irrelevant, my championship pick. Rochette had a promising rookie season in the Q last year and expectations were high coming into this season. He battled through various injuries (mono according to one GM here) that slowed his production. Some have chalked his disappointing numbers up to a lack of compete so if it really was just an injury riddled season the upside is high for a 217th pick. He's a smart two way player with good skill. Not the strongest so that's always going to be a challenge but at this point in the draft I'll take it.

In the end, I drafted 4 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie for a nice balance. This was a heavier NA based draft class than usual with 2 OHL, 1 WHL, 1 QMJHL, 1 NCAA based selections to go along with 2 from Russia.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I really like Groshev, had him high on my Day 2 list. Reminds me of Marchenko... but also Chebykin, both guys I took at similar points in their respective drafts, so hopefully you found more the former than the latter. Peters is fine - goalies are like throwing darts anyway, he was on my list - and Uens is very good value in the sixth. Rochette is a worthwhile gamble with the championship pick to close out the draft. Overall, I feel like you added some good skill to the cupboard in a year without a lot of draft picks. Nicely done!

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->