(HFNHL) Jackets / Canucks series personal for Staal

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
It's just about the strangest feeling I can remember," says former Canuck, now Columbus leading scorer Eric Staal of facing his long-time team in round one of the HFNHL Western Conference playoffs.

"I was drafted there, won a Cup there - at one point I thought I'd play my entire career there, so it absolutely feels weird to be getting ready to play against them at this time of year."

Staal had worn an array of Canucks uniforms over the better part of a decade before being traded to Columbus last summer in a blockbuster deal that saw Bryan Little, Chris Kelly and top prospect Dougie Hamilton go the other way. It was a move for the Canucks motivated by cost containment, as Staal is among the highest-paid players in the game.

He earned that paycheque in his first season in Columbus, finishing with 31 goals and 89 points in a full 82-game season.

"We played (Vancouver) twice this season, and I think that took care of any jitters. Both games went to a shootout with a win each way, so it's clear we're well-matched."

With Staal leading the way, the Blue Jackets posted a league-record 31 consecutive games without suffering a regulation loss. Vancouver, meanwhile, tied Colorado for the NW Division lead in points only to lose the third seed on a tiebreaker, leading to this highly-anticipated series.

"Now the focus is all on doing what we need to do each shift, and bringing what I learned in my years there to help this team go the distance. Should be a heck of a series."

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
True to form, Game 1 went to overtime. The hero was fourth-liner Ryan Potulny - sprung by Kimmo Timonen off a turnover, Potulny was able to break to the net and fire a quick snap shot past Carey Price, who had been superb in net for Vancouver.

Eric Staal had no points in the game, but his line was still clicking - Franzen with two goals and Briere with two assists. The only stat that matters though is the 1-0 series lead.

Let's see if these two very evenly matched teams can take all their games this year two overtime - so far they're 3 for 3.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Despite scoring the only goal for the Jackets in a frustrating game that saw Columbus test Canucks netminder Carey Price 36 times, Eric Staal still says he's wearing the goat horns after last night's loss.

"I lost the faceoff in our end that let them get set up with control. And then I had a chance to clear the zone, but I turned it over with a bad pass and that ended up setting up the winning goal. I have to be better."

In truth, all the Jackets on the ice can share the blame, as Vancouver was allowed to get multiple shots on Vokoun, and each rebound was collected by a Vancouver player for another shot until Pascal Dupuis' eventual game winner. The teams were at even strength, but it felt like a Canucks powerplay.

"We all wear this one," explained Columbus Captain Kimmo Timonen. "We got caught running around in our own end. There was a solid two minutes there where we were totally back on our heels. We had carried the play for so much of the game, but we really had a letdown there. And late in the third period of a tie game in the playoffs? Well, that just can't be allowed to happen."

In what's shaping up to be the closest series of the first round, Columbus will hope to restore home ice advantage by stealing one on the road at GM Place tonight. The Jackets won 27 of 41 road games this season.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Vancouver earned the first victory by more than one goal either te can boast against the orher this season, beating Columbus 4-2 in Game #4, sweeping their two-game home stand and pushing the Jackets to the brink of elimination.

But home cooking proved to be the answer as the Jackets returned the favour in game 5 with a 3-1 win at Nationwide Arena that kept their Cup drive alove for one more noght.

Veteran Jackets Eric Staal and Tomas Vokoun won the night's first and third stars, Staal potting his 2nd and 3rd goals of the playoffs, while Vokoun stopped the Canucks shooters 35 of 36 times.

But Columbus still faces an uphill climb, down 3-2 against a tough and determined opponent. We can only build on today's success like the NHL Leafs, and hope to force a Game 7 at home. :yo:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Down 3 games to 1 just a short while ago, the Blue Jackets have battled back to force a deciding game 7 against the Vancouver Canucks. Their regular season success is paying off now: they'll get to play the most important game of their season - and in many cases, the most important game of their careers - at home in front of a rabid Columbus fan base.

The series has been just as close and balanced as predicted, with only one goal separating the two teams between the season series and first 6 playoff games. The starters' goals against averages are within a point at 2.17 and 2.16 (although Price holds the edge in save% due to Columbus' higher shot totals). Vancouver's slightly better special teams are offset by Columbus' discipline. About the only surprise to date has been the disappearing act of the Blue Jackets' physical game, as they are last place of all 16 teams in hits - and last by a large margin.

"We're still winning puck battles, we're just not get of caught up in laying the body as much," explains Head Coach Mike Babcock. "We've asserted ourselves through good positioning, speed and anticipation. Hopefully it works for us tonight."

The winner of tonight's game will take on the surging Edmonon Oilers in one Western Conference semi-final, while the Avs and Blues enjoy some rest before facing off in the other semi.

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
It may not have gone to overtime in game 7, but the Jackets/Canucks series wrapped up as one of the closest in recent memory. Columbus dug their way out of a 3 games to 1 hole to take game 7 on a third period goal from Alexander Burrows to edge out Vancouver 3-2 on the scoreboard, and take the series 4-3.

"Such a classy organization from the top on down," Columbus GM Doug Emerson said about the Canucks. "The whole series has just been about good hockey - no goonery, no nonsense, just two great teams playing their hardest, with terrific performances on both sides. We have a lot of respect for that team - they should continue to be a contender in the West for years to come."

The trio of Callahan, Backes and Dupuis stood out for Vancouver in the series, while Columbus' fortunes were carried by their top line of Franzen, Staal and Briere, especially on the powerplay. Tomas Vokoun for Columbus and Carey Price for Vancouver both performed well throughout.

The Blue Jackets move on to face the Edmonton Oilers, and welcome back centre Tracis Zajac from injured reserve. Zajac will line up in his usual spot on the energy line between Ryan Potulny and Drew Miller.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad