HFNHL FREE AGENCY: Results Round 1

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm guessing that NYI offered the $6 Mil contract because Stastny had previously agreed to a $5.5 Mil offer from PHI, which I intended to match. As Hasnain has already posted, he had to withdraw his offer because he traded away the picks required for compensation.

I don't see my offer sheet for Grebeshkov listed here yet was the highest in the previous RFA thread. I had offered $3,013,000 x 4 years.

Wondering if there is any update on this as well.

What's going on with Stastny? Was the NYI offer retracted before FA began the first time? I'm curious what contract I might have to match or leave for compensation here.

Where did my offer sheet to Grebeshkov go?

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I probably missed this somewhere (in the multiple FA threads we have going), but who do I send 2nd round bids to? Hasnain? Matt? Ville?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I probably missed this somewhere (in the multiple FA threads we have going), but who do I send 2nd round bids to? Hasnain? Matt? Ville?

I'm sorry but Ville is offline for a few days and I am not sure of his upcoming schedule. I would forward second round bids to all three of us, Ville, Richie and myself. The deadline will most likely be the middle of/ late next week

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I'll go through the remarks, pm's and emails tomorrow morning(EET), so please mail/pm me if there are any questions.

Hasnain, I wasn't aware of that you had pulled out of the Stastny bidding. This means that Philly signs Stastny and you sign Zajac.
As far as the low RFA offers on Pominville and Armstrong go, neither player has signed at that money.

And, please, if you have a RFA going to the 2nd round, don't say that you will match the offer now, as the player hasn't signed any contract yet.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
made some corrections. let me know if anyone has any other questions. deadline for offers will be at 23.59 EST Friday the 7th of August.

ps. Matthew K and Richie, is the date ok with you guys?

Last edited:

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Kyle Wellwood signed in the real league today for 1.2M$ over the next season. Wellwood is now on the players who earns more in the HFNHL then in the real league.

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flyers Match

Here are the results from the HFNHL free agency. If you see any mistakes, please let me know asap.

Defensemen:
Dennis Grebeshkov 3,013m x 4years EDM
Brent Seabrook 3,012m x 4 years PHI
Denis Wideman 3,012m x 4 years TB
Ryan O'Byrne 1,5m x 3 years ATL
David Hale 990k x 1 year CAR
Jeff Woywitka 990k x 1 year CAR
Peter Harrold 990k x 1 year CAR
Kyle Cumisky 990k x 1 year CAR

Goalies:
Brian Elliott 1,506m x 2 years DAL
Marek Schwarz $993,999 x 4 years TB
Hannu Toivonen 990k x 1 year CAR
Josh Tjordman 990k x 1 year CAR

Flyers match offer to Brian Elliot and my understanding is that Seabrook has not signed the contract but just to be safe because I've been confused by this whole FA process this year (including deadline dates, etc...) is that the Flyers would match the offer if signed.

Claudio

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Hasnain, I wasn't aware of that you had pulled out of the Stastny bidding. This means that Philly signs Stastny and you sign Zajac.
As far as the low RFA offers on Pominville and Armstrong go, neither player has signed at that money.

And, please, if you have a RFA going to the 2nd round, don't say that you will match the offer now, as the player hasn't signed any contract yet.

As a correction, it was Seabrook and Armstrong who were going to remain on the open market, not Pominville and Armstrong.

I'm a little irked about the NYI/Stastny situation. Like most people I'm guessing, regardless of the deadline, I took "all offers are final" to mean don't hit the send button unless you really mean it. It's one thing to send an email a short time later to make an administrative correction to an offer. However, it's a completely different thing to conduct a trade knowing you have tabled a high-end offer sheet.

Does NYI still possess the compensation to bid on Stastny? Obviously, Pominville is my RFA, so I'm not entirely an unaffected party. However, I'm not the first one to bring this up, either. I have to admit that the issue, in my opinion, is further complicated by the fact that Hasnain posted the rules for free agency. With authority comes the responsibility to hold yourself to higher standards than those around you. That's my overly preachy way of saying you should've known better, Hasnain. ;)

Methinks this warrants a brief discussion amongst the Admin Team.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
made some corrections. let me know if anyone has any other questions. deadline for offers will be at 23.59 EST Friday the 7th of August.

ps. Matthew K and Richie, is the date ok with you guys?

So I'm clear, this is the deadline for second-round bidding on those players that have gone to a short list, right? We're not asking people to submit bids yet for the second phase of free-agency when people try and sign the leftovers?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As a correction, it was Seabrook and Armstrong who were going to remain on the open market, not Pominville and Armstrong.

I'm a little irked about the NYI/Stastny situation. Like most people I'm guessing, regardless of the deadline, I took "all offers are final" to mean don't hit the send button unless you really mean it. It's one thing to send an email a short time later to make an administrative correction to an offer. However, it's a completely different thing to conduct a trade knowing you have tabled a high-end offer sheet.

Does NYI still possess the compensation to bid on Stastny? Obviously, Pominville is my RFA, so I'm not entirely an unaffected party. However, I'm not the first one to bring this up, either. I have to admit that the issue, in my opinion, is further complicated by the fact that Hasnain posted the rules for free agency. With authority comes the responsibility to hold yourself to higher standards than those around you. That's my overly preachy way of saying you should've known better, Hasnain. ;)

This doesn't necessarily relate directly to the Stastny case, but a hypothetical question...

If I sent my offers in on the first day we were able to do so and wanted to change a player or two, or dollar amount or two, would I not be allowed to submit a new list before the deadline? Yes offers had been sent in, but nothing had been applied to any players yet so are they final?

I think Hasnain falls in there somewhat. Being the agent that ran FA he had to be the first to submit the second the FA period opened. He then went trade crazy and adjusted his FA offers because of picks being traded(which no he doesn't have the 2nd round pick for compensation on Stastny...any word on roster updates though so all this is easier to see?), but did so before FA had actually been processed and Stastny was "aware" this offer was being made to him.

I don't know, to me that seems OK but I don't know all the rules quite yet. And it's not just because it relates to my player. I would like to think I had the ability to make changes to my offers as long as they were submitted before the given deadline.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
This doesn't necessarily relate directly to the Stastny case, but a hypothetical question...

If I sent my offers in on the first day we were able to do so and wanted to change a player or two, or dollar amount or two, would I not be allowed to submit a new list before the deadline? Yes offers had been sent in, but nothing had been applied to any players yet so are they final?

I would have no problem with that -- the same is done with draft lists and the like as people get more information, or second-guess themselves. You should theoretically be able to modify whatever you like, up to the deadline, but after the deadline you are bound by your most recent instructions, and if those instructions include offers you're not entitled to make, then a penalty may be applied.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I would have no problem with that -- the same is done with draft lists and the like as people get more information, or second-guess themselves. You should theoretically be able to modify whatever you like, up to the deadline, but after the deadline you are bound by your most recent instructions, and if those instructions include offers you're not entitled to make, then a penalty may be applied.

Makes perfect sense, we're on the same page.

I don't recall the exact timing, have to leave that to Hasnain to provide details on, but he had told me he wasn't able to make the offer he wanted on Stastny anymore, before FA results were processed.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I modified my offers before the deadline and Hasnain accepted them.

Although that's not reflected by the offer sheet of Brett Sterling being accepted even though thats the one I retracted.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
So I'm clear, this is the deadline for second-round bidding on those players that have gone to a short list, right? We're not asking people to submit bids yet for the second phase of free-agency when people try and sign the leftovers?

Yes... this is the 2nd round of the first phase of free agency. We will announce a specific date for the start of the second phase, probably after we ensure that the first phase is complete and there are no lingering disputes or debates about any FA's.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

Matt, I had to submit my offers a week before anyone else and I retracted the offer on Tuesday ...5 days before the deadline. I can understand that if it was a case of me raising my offer since i had seen other offers...but this is not the case here...and I got the approval from Reggie as well.

Stasny in this case was going for 2nd round bidding ...so I have every right now to pull my offer of the table given that he did not accept any offers.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Matt, I had to submit my offers a week before anyone else and I retracted the offer on Tuesday ...5 days before the deadline. I can understand that if it was a case of me raising my offer since i had seen other offers...but this is not the case here...and I got the approval from Reggie as well.

Stasny in this case was going for 2nd round bidding ...so I have every right now to pull my offer of the table given that he did not accept any offers.

I completely disagree with that statement...

...I am, however, ok with you being allowed to pull the offer because of a combination of you having to submit your offers early, the trade being made before the 1st round deadline, and you were given Reggie's OK.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I completely disagree with that statement...

...I am, however, ok with you being allowed to pull the offer because of a combination of you having to submit your offers early, the trade being made before the 1st round deadline, and you were given Reggie's OK.

Can't we alter our bid for 2nd round bidding...either pull the offer off the table or increase the bid. How can we penalize a team when the offer was not accepted by the player. Also, if the team did not want to match the offer than I have other ways of negotiating with the team that is mutually accepted by both parties.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Can't we alter our bid for 2nd round bidding...either pull the offer off the table or increase the bid. How can we penalize a team when the offer was not accepted by the player. Also, if the team did not want to match the offer than I have other ways of negotiating with the team that is mutually accepted by both parties.

I still completely disagree with all that, but like I said, I'm fine with you pulling the offer because of the special circumstances.

I guess I didn't realize that "ALL BIDS ARE FINAL" meant that all bids are not final. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->