HFNHL Florida Panthers Top 20 Prospects Update

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'll start the trend of updated prospect ranking posts (tis the time of the year).

1. Cale Makar (1)

The UMass defender has to be considered one of the top prospects in the game currently and is a front runner for the Hobey Baker this year as a sophomore. Leading scorer (as a defender) on one of the top teams in the NCAA. Just outside the top 5 in scoring among any NCAA player. Excited to see him make his NHL debut at the end of the year when the college season finishes.

2. Jordan Kyrou (2)
In the NHL, he has struggled to find a consistent role. Some of that likely has to do with how bad the Blues have been. In the AHL, he's been fantastic and is averaging close to a point per game. All in all, this has to be considered a relatively successful first pro season. Still has terrific upside as a top 6 scorer.

3. Dennis Cholowski (9)

Has been a real revelation this year as an NHL rookie. Didn't expect him to break through into the NHL in his rookie pro season, let alone have the impact that he's having. Third to Dahlin and Heiskanen in rookie defenseman scoring. Has certainly emerged as a quality young offensive defender with the potential to still develop into more of a two-way guy.

4. Ryan Donato (5)
Hasn't had the first true pro season (after a cup of coffee last year after his NCAA season ended) that I expected. But he's still been in the NHL for most of the year and is playing pretty regularly for the Bruins. Seems like it's only a matter of time before he starts scoring routinely and is an impressive young player.

5. K'Andre Miller (6)
A first round pick in 2018, Miller has had an exceptional freshman season, better than I could have hoped for. He's currently the top scoring freshman defender in the NCAA and finds himself just outside the top 10 of any defender in scoring. Blessed with terrific athletic skills, it seems like his high ceiling is starting to become realized.

6. Ty Dellandrea (New)
Acquired in a trade for Kiefer Bellows, Dellandrea was a first round pick in 2018 and is a favourite of mine. Making the most of a tough situation in Flint and is over a point per game player in his draft +1 year. Projects as a solid pro who could still be a quality 2nd line center and potential captain of the Panthers.

7. Liam Foudy (7)

Another first rounder in 2018, Foudy is having a solid draft +1 year with London. He is over a point per game and is close to matching his career high in goals. He has to be considered one of the better skaters currently outside the NHL. Like Dellandrea, his high end ceiling is still up in the air. At worst, probably the next Jason Chimera?

8. Jacob Bernard Docker (11)

Another 2018 first round selection, Bernard-Docker has had a terrific freshman season with North Dakota. Like Miller, he's one of the higher scoring freshmen defenders in the nation and his offensive game has translated to college better than many had anticipated. Definitely looks like a potentially solid second pairing guy at this point.

9. Michael Dipietro (12)

Recently became the OHL's all time leader in shutouts and is fresh off a very strong performance at the WJC's for Canada. Combine that with his infectious personality and tireless work ethic, and you've got a great goaltending prospect, even if he doesn't possess the elite size that you look for in the position these days. Very curious to see how his first pro season goes next year.

10. Trent Frederic (8)
His first pro season hasn't been quite as good as I expected it to be after a strong performance in a cup of coffee last year (after the NCAA year ended). He's battled some injuries and has been limited offensively. But everything I've read suggests that he's really starting to play well and is probably close to playing a checking line role for Boston. Could still be an elite 3rd line center in the future.

11. Alex Barre-Boulet (HM)
A free agent signing this past offseason, Barre-Boulet has been one of the biggest surprises in the AHL this year. This is an aggressive ranking for him, but his season has been hard to ignore. Top 5 in goals scored. Second in rookie points to Troy Terry. Top 10 in shots. Is this kid the next diamond in the rough discovered by the Tampa Bay Lightning?

12. Jake Evans (14)

A prospect that I've been waiting on forever after drafting him out of the OJHL (Junior A). Four years at college and now he's having a very good first year in the AHL. Top 10 in rookie scoring, but has been one of the leading scorers for a low scoring Laval team. His production has been increasing by the week too. Like Frederic, he could be a very good 3rd line center.

13. Scott Perunovich (15)
Not scoring nearly as much as he did in his freshman season, but the offensive production has been there otherwise. Just outside the top 10 in defenseman scoring in the NCAA, but is close to leading his team in scoring. He's undersized, but he quarterbacks the powerplay exceptionally well. Would imagine that he turns pro after this season.

14. Colton Point (13)
Probably turned pro a year too early, but had nothing left to prove in the NCAA. his first pro season has been a tough one though. Struggled mightily in the AHL and has found himself in the ECHL. Not a death blow for goaltenders though. I still have confidence that he will turn things around and get the confidence he needs at the pro level.

15. Cayden Primeau (17)
Hasn't been quite as good this year with Northeastern as he was last year (.922 save percentage compared to .931), but helped the U.S. capture a silver medal at the WJC's and still looks like a quality future pro netminder. It seems like his performance at the event really has elevated is status as a prospect, for those that doubted his freshmen performance.

16. Alex Nedeljkovic (16)
Led the AHL in wins last year. Currently leads the AHL in wins this year. The stats haven't been extremely glamorous (save percentages just above .900), but you can't argue with the results. It seems like only a matter of time before he gets a serious look in Carolina as their goaltender of the future. Have to think that I can get at least one NHL caliber netminder out of my strong stable of goaltending prospects.

17. Wade Allison (10)
Big fall for this Western Michigan star. But this was probably to be expected as he recovers from knee surgery. Has returned to the lineup but is not (understandably) scoring at the same clip that he did last year a sophomore when he was among the leaders in points per game. Wonder if he turns pro this offseason, or returns for his senior year to make sure that his knee is fully healthy.

18. Tyler Madden (HM)
Has been a surprise and then some so far. The son of former NHL shutdown center John Madden, Tyler has been one of the best freshmen in the NCAA so far. Averaging over a point per game for Providence and close to being the top scoring first year in the nation. Was also excellent at the WJC's where his versatility and energy were on display. Not quite sure of his high end potential, but this kid looks like a future NHL player.

19. Brett Seney (HM)
After a great four year run at Merrimack, Seney turned pro last year and was an HFNHL free agent signing by Florida last offseason. He's been great in his first pro year, playing a checking line role for the NHL's Devils. May not be more than a 3rd liner, but you have to respect the rookie season that he's having.

20. Pavel Francouz (HM)
Old for a prospect at 28, but the former KHL star has been as advertised in North America thus far. Has been one of the best goaltenders in the AHL this year and has even been terrific in his cup of coffee in Colorado. I'm really hoping that he gets a full time shot at the NHL in the very near future.

Honorable Mentions

Samuel Blais (18)
Jordy Bellerive (19)
Jack McBain (20)
Joey Keane (HM)
Jack Rathbone (HM)
Grant Mismash (HM)
Kiril Maksimov (HM)
Nate Schnarr (HM)
Martin Fehervary (HM)
Patrik Rybar (HM)
Daniel Brickley (New)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Tons of depth. I really liked both Madden and Fehervary at the WJC. The former has more skill than I realized; the latter showed way more confidence with the puck. The Capitals like to draft these big, mobile d-men with experience playing pro in Europe and move them through their system quickly - Siegenthaler, Geisser, and now Fehervary. Could get an NHL taste sooner rather than later.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad