HFNHL Florida Panthers 2021 Entry Draft Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Day 1

Florida made two trades on Day 1, trading out of the first round and down in the second round in order to pick up some additional draft selections.

Round 2 - #34 - Olen Zellweger
We really liked Zellweger as the U18's went on and when we had a chance to go back and watch his WHL action, we were even more impressed. He may not be huge, but this is the modern day NHL defender. Strong skater. Push the pace. Quick decision maker. Shows the potential to be a quality defensive player. By the end of the U18's, he had taken over the first powerplay unit from Brandt Clarke on Canada. Not sure where he goes in the NHL draft, but this was one of our main targets at the draft.

Round 2 - #53 - Sean Tschigerl

Had the WHL played out a full season, we truly believe that he would have been a first round selection. He is the modern NHL winger, with a game built on speed, tenacity, and goal scoring ability. Was near a goal per game in the second half of the shortened WHL season. This was another one of our main draft targets.

Round 2 - #54 - Aleksander Kisakov
The Panthers don't draft out of Russia very often, but we've had some success in this same range with other Russian players (cough, Nikita Kucherov, cough). A late birthday '02 who exploded onto the scouting scene this year with a tremendous MHL performance. Our Russian scout at McKeen's is a huge fan and believes that he should be a first round pick. The fact that he seems to be high on a lot of NHL scout polls makes me believe he is on that radar too. High upside shot in the dark here, but I like what I've seen on video.

Round 2 - #55 - Ethan Del Mastro

Come on...we can't completely ignore the OHL can we? I really liked Del Mastro in his rookie OHL season. Felt his game grew by leaps and bounds over the year. Was fairly solid in a sheltered role at the U18's, but he hadn't played yet this year. I look at this as a pick with a floor of being an NHL third pairing defender with size and nastiness (hello high DF rating), but also a higher ceiling due to the unknowns surrounding his offensive potential thanks to the cancellation of the OHL season.

Round 2 - #61 - Josh Doan
Another one of our main targets at the draft, Doan has so many things going for him. Yes, it is his second year of eligibility. But it is important to note that this guy was extremely undersized (around 5'6) only a few seasons ago. Hit a massive growth spurt and struggled to find consistent playing time on a deep Chicago Steel team in his original draft year. Last off season, dedicated himself to improving his conditioning, making huge strides as a skater and a player, becoming one of the best players in the USHL. Not to mention he has the bloodlines as the son of a former HFNHL Florida Panther's star!

Round 3 - #85 - Riley Kidney
My work at McKeen's gives me an opportunity to watch a lot of hockey and Kidney is someone who I really, really liked this year. Got better and better with each passing month and had a really strong QMJHL playoffs. Not sure where he goes in the NHL draft, but I think he looks the part of a future NHL player. He has everything you want...except elite physical tools. If he can continue to upgrade his skating, strength, etc, he could really become a high end player.

Chris1989

Jul 9, 2021
Solid draft Brock! I agree about your 1st selection. I can see him being a late 1st in NHL draft

Reactions: Brock

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
I really liked Kisakov going into the draft and was targeting him at 57 before you snatched him up at 54

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I like your first 3 picks in particular. Had Tschigerl been on the board at 58 he probably would have been my pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Day 2

Round 4 - #108 - Zack Ostapchuk
In my work for McKeen's this year, I really grew to appreciate Ostapchuk. Big kid who can really skate and play physical. Seems like the type who could have a long career in an NHL bottom six role. The offensive showed inconsistent bursts, but maybe there is more there?

Round 4 - #117 - Jayden Grubbe
Came into the season as a potential first round pick with a lot of hype, but his season was ended only a few games in thanks to a torn knee ligament. Big, two-way power center with the potential to be a great middle six player. But will the knee injury limit his skating development, already a weak spot?

Round 4 - #119 - Connor Lockhart

Probably the biggest "what if" of this OHL crop because Lockhart did not play a single game this year (no Europe, no Erie showcase). One of the most talented offensive players in the age group, Lockhart could have easily played his way into the first round had the OHL had a season...or he could have disappointed and not been drafted at all. This is the gamble. I love the upside because of his skating ability and scoring instincts.

Round 4 - #128 - Josh Bloom
Another one of the Ontario kids who didn't play a lick this year. But I love his game. Big, quick, and skilled winger who was terrific when he played in the top six in Saginaw in his rookie year. Has apparently grown even more and could be a 6'3, smooth skating playmaker when his development ends.

Round 5 - #137 - Manix Landry
Like I mentioned with Ostapchuk, I grew very fond of Landry in my work for McKeen's this year. The son of former Montreal Canadien Eric Landry, Manix is a tenacious, but skilled two-way forward. Very well rounded skill set. Late born '02, the production wasn't great this year, but he also played for a low scoring team. You watch Gatineau games and he stands out consistently...sometimes even more than Zach Dean.

Round 5 - #149 - Topias Vilen
This selection is a little bit of Bob McKenzie's list (so value based) and a little bit of Vilen impressing at the U18's. I don't believe the upside is significant, but if the development goes well, could he not be another Esa Lindell? A bit of a vanilla pick but one with a good chance of playing some NHL games.

Round 5 - #159 - Liam Gilmartin
Definitely one of my top targets in the middle rounds this year, I really like Gilmartin's game despite his underwhelming U18 performance. This kid will go through a wall for his team and has a bit more skill than he is given credit for. He will be playing for the London Knights next year and I am excited to see him develop.

Round 6 - #161 - David Gucciardi
Another one of those players who really caught my eye in my work for McKeen's. Strong skating two-way defender who has some maturity to undergo on the ice (in terms of discipline and decision making), but the bare bones is there for him to become a strong defensive prospect.

Round 6 - #169 - Lucas Mercuri
Not too often you only see me draft an "HFNHL re-entry" (or NHL drafted but not HFNHL drafted) player this late, but Mercuri was one of my top targets of that group. A Carolina Hurricanes draft pick in the NHL, Mercuri is a strong, power center who had a very good rookie season in the USHL coming out of New England Prep. He will attend UMass next year and I have done well from that program recently (Cale Makar, John Leonard).

Round 6 - #181 - Cameron Berg
I actually had him high on my list last year but he didn't get drafted in the HFNHL or the NHL. He returned to the USHL and was one of the best players in that league this year. I'm thinking that will be enough for him to get drafted. Going to UNO next year...like current Panther (and developed draft pick) Jake Guentzel.

Round 7 - #211 - Justin Ertel
Big power winger who first caught my attention at the 2019 OHL Cup where he and the Toronto Jr Canadiens (along with Adam Fantilli and Francesco Pinelli) were runner's up. The Cornell commit went out East to get game action this year because the St. Andrew's College season was canceled. Had some tournaments like the World Junior A Challenge occurred this year, I think Ertel is someone who could have made a name for himself. I made sure that he was my only target at #211 so that I could secure his rights. A deep flyer but that's what the 7th round is all about!

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
I really liked the Gilmartin and Gucciardi picks. Had them both high on my day 2 list, but I’m happy with who I got.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
After talking trade with you and finding out that Svechkov was who you were targeting at 21, I didn't think you were going to end up pulling the trigger. Lots of guys spread throughout this draft that I was looking at with some of my picks, or had ranked towards the top of my day two list.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
After talking trade with you and finding out that Svechkov was who you were targeting at 21, I didn't think you were going to end up pulling the trigger. Lots of guys spread throughout this draft that I was looking at with some of my picks, or had ranked towards the top of my day two list.

BOOO

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
I was trying to trade for a 3rd round pick to get Kidney and not surprisingly, you took him before i got it done :)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Classic Brock draft. Makes so many credible picks that everybody can find at least a couple of his players you also like. Zellwegger and Ostapchuk are my submissions for this year.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad