HFNHL Flames 2018 Draft Review

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames got lucky. Super Lucky. Super Lucky Twice.

Luck #1 - The Flames were angling for a top pairing D from the summer on - but one in which they would not have to part with anyone from their prospects pool. That meant trading their 1st round pick for 2018. And nothing else. It took a while but a suitor was found. The problem was the Flames were 9th in the standings and it didn't look like they would make the playoffs. So, the Flames asked in some lottery protection to the pick. If it was top 12, the Flames would keep the pick. Luckily, the other GM agreed.

Luck #2 - The Flames were paired with the Carolina Hurricanes in the draft lottery and won the right to pick second overall.

It's pretty much a given that top end drafted forwards are impact players in the NHL. It's where most of them are found. For the Flames, who've only picked in the top 5 once, and in the top 10 twice apart from that (Barzal at 8 and Backlund at 10), this is new territory and at a time when the franchise lacks an elite winger.

Pretty darn lucky all around.

Of course, that one top 5 pick was spent on Valeri Nichushkin. But we love him anyway and we've never had a problem with drafting Russians. In fact, we're a defender of how good and how competitive they can be. Our only fear was that Tom would not actually pick Dahlin 1st...

LEADING UP TO THE DRAFT

The Flames entertained many offers and inquiries, from the Putasdelfias dangling Hall (probably should have done it) to a package including Landeskog, Dube and more (probably should have done it), to Josh offering 3 plus, to Roy offering multiple firsts and a high second. But nothing came really close to tempting the Flamettes. The Flames did put out one offer, which was shot down: it was Matthew Tkachuk and the 3 for the 2 - it was a mild attempt at reuniting the Tkachuk brothers on the Flames roster.

DRAFT - DAY ONE

2nd Overall - 2nd in NHL - Andrei Svechnikov - Barrie Colts - W

Svechnikov_TW_CHL_9423.jpg

He's really, really good at hockey.

ALSO CONSIDERED: Zadina, Tkachuk, Dahlin (if he'd fallen), Kotkaniemi and some of the others. Before the lottery, my focus was on Evan Bouchard until he really blew up - and then Kotkaniemi, who also blew up after the lottery.

The Flames had a 2nd fetish after Alvaro's saunas.. I mean, after Svechnikov, and that was the player in the draft with the most upside that's not talked about. In a draft with all these smaller, skating defensemen, the player that stood out to me was a guy whose skating is right up there with the best in the draft class - but comes in a 6'4" 200+ lb package - a player who doesn't make mistakes, is smooth as butter, but still has a physical presence. A player with hidden offensive talents, a good shot, and some dangle - he started to break out offensively in his second year in the WHL. The Flames had him ahead of Boqvist, any of the American D, in fact, it was a toss-up between him and Ty Smith for 5th on the Flames list of D prospects - eventually, we moved him ahead of Smith.

But, the Flames only had one pick and had spent it. Caught up in the mayhem of draft day hormonally driven blindness, even at my advanced age, the Flames scoured their roster for a player who they could trade and found one and started offering him for pretty much every pick in the 20's and 30's and 40's. The eventual suitor was at 34 and once the pick came it was a deal that made sense for both sides. Adam (EDIT: er, Jacob...) Larsson went to the Golden Knights.

34th Overall - 31st in NHL - Alexander Alexeyev - Red Deer Rebels - D

Alexander%20Alexeyev%20%28preseason%20vs%20MH%29.jpg

It helps that he's Russian too.:D But for reals, this kid is so well rounded, mature and passionate. Had some injury problems and missed time but showed heart and grit and determination. This is the kind of defenseman you win with, so, I think he could be quite popular on draft day. I've been comparing him to Mattias Ekholm but in some ways, he also reminds me of Colton Parayko and Brendan Guhle - talent right in front of your eyes but for some reason drops in the draft.

34th overall actually turned into great value for him but the Flames would have drafted him in the top 20 and been happy.

ALSO CONSIDERED: Right after consummating the deal I had to look and make sure there wasn't somebody who'd fallen or who I liked more. Looked at Akil Thomas, mostly, but also Liam Foudy and Yessie Ylonen, who was very high on my list. But this was all about AA -- I'd been talking him up for a while and he was the target.

The Flames have added some late picks to chase some of their favorite hidden gems - and have 5 picks remaining in the draft.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Not only did you draft the player I wanted most in the 2nd round, you traded my player to get the pick to do it. That's a double whammy right there. Well played.

I didn't have enough picks to trade ones I didn't have so this is how I did it. #newFlamettesHFNHL

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
there aren't enough crying emoji faces to express my immense sadness. you certainly made the right move keeping the pick for sure. the foresight to lottery protect that pick was such a veteran gm move.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Great coverage, thanks matthew!

Svechnikov is money. ‘Nuff said.

Alexeyev is a beast, and as noted I had a tough time at 29 choosing between him and Woo. Lots of people seem to be sour on Woo, but none of them are scouting services, so i had to go with the experts on this one, but it won’t surprise me at all to see Alexeyev be one of the top D to come out of this draft. I certainly would have taken him with my next pick at 40, so well played making the move to get your man.

I look forward to the comparisons in future years!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
DRAFT - DAY TWO

Flames ended up getting the 2nd and 3rd players available on their list - as well as their first choices for the two sixth rounders.

If you’d have said the Flames would draft a small defenseman who led all international players in defenseman scoring at the Under-18 World Juniors you’d have been like, what? Did I take Adam Boqvist with the 2nd overall? Well, the Flames did just the leading point scoring Dman from that tournament - no, not Boqvist but….

147th Overall -146th in NHL - Danila Zhuravlyov - D - Irbis Kazan - Russia

Zhuravlev3.jpg

He’s slight, but six feet tall, with beautiful, calm skating and a mature defensive game. Super mobile, puck-mover who has a superb shot from the point. Really competitive and high IQ. He had a strong season at home in Russia and Internationally and should be a draft riser.

ISS listed him as the 3rd most underrated player in this draft.

QUOTES: "The player who did the most to boost his draft stock was defender Danila Zhuravlyov. He was just as strong in his own zone. A very good skater with strong edges and plus transitional ability, he played with poise, patience and advanced positioning” - McKeens

RATED: #67 by ISS, #77 by hockeyprospect.

ALSO CONSIDERED: He was second on the Flamettes draft list, behind Gogolev.

167th Overall - Preds FA - Filip Pyrochta - D - Bili Tigri - Czech

cut.jpg

A 1996 birth who just signed a two-year ELC with the Nashville Predators, Pyrochta is a smooth skating, 6’2”, 192lb, Czech defenseman who wowed with his two-way play this year.

Was a silver medalist on the Czech world junior u-18 team in 2014. Has got some good puck moving skills but he’s not a big point producer. Has been compared to Marek Zidlicky.

182nd Overall - undrafted - Colby Enns - D - Minot - NAHL

DRBzNmTVAAAKtJv.jpg

Enns is an NHL sized two-way defenseman with unbelievable skating ability. Originally from North Dakota, the defenseman made the jump from high school to the 2nd tier US junior league and made an impact. The Flamettes love the raw skill-set from that one Youtube clip from like a year ago.

He's heading to Nebraska-Omaha after a season with Central Illinois in the USHL, where he was just drafted 4th overall in the phase II draft.

QUOTES: “Flying under the radar in a remote outpost. Athletic & skilled.” - Redline
“The sky’s the limit for Colby, his ability to skate and separate himself from defenders makes him a special player” - Marty Murray, Minot GM

RATED: 173 by Redline.

192nd Overall - undrafted - Anton Malyshev - D - Loko Yaroslavl - Russia

B97747192Z.120171212192652000G7CJ8E8D.11.jpg

Another super skating defenseman from Russia, and the third Russian defenseman for the Flames in this draft. The Russian captain at the WJC-18 is more of a defensive-oriented two-way defenseman, but is mobile and can make all the needed plays with the puck. Scouting reports indicate that he’s adept at the transition game, especially carrying the puck out of the zone and through neutral ice.

Despite his size, he doesn’t mind the physical stuff. ISS sleeper pick, he was 3rd on the Flames list for day 2. He’s still growing and rumored to be heading to the CHL next season. Importantly, Google also tells me he makes knives.

RANKINGS: 73 by ISS.

QUOTES: “Was outstanding from start to finish and was one of Russia's best players at 2018 U18 Five Nations” - ISS
“Saved his best performance for the U18’s where he not only captained the team but was also named one of the top three Russian players” - hockeyprospect.com

197th Overall - undrafted - Brendan Budy - F - Langley - BCHL

md20180510-63536.jpg

Another player just selected in the USHL Phase II draft, this one 2nd overall, Budy is a super young, barely draft eligible player playing tier two hockey in the BCHL. Eventually, he’ll head to the University of Denver.

An offensive forward, Budy is 5’10” and slight, will have to fill out and get stronger, but he’s a super offensive player who also captained his junior team. The playmaker is the son of a former AHL’er Tim Budy, he was dynamic in the WJAC as Canada West won that series. Also, you pronounce it Boody, and as Solly knows, I like bums.

The key to every Flames drafted player in this draft was exceptional skating - and Budy is a fantastic skater known for his break-aways and short-handed goalscoring prowess.

IN REVIEW, 4 Russians, 1 Yank, 1 Czech, and a Canadian to round it out.

Last edited:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Can't say we were on the same page in terms of who we wanted this time, but there is a lot of potential in Svechnikov and Alexeyev and those late rounders are a gamble in every case...

Good job!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Can't say we were on the same page in terms of who we wanted this time, but there is a lot of potential in Svechnikov and Alexeyev and those late rounders are a gamble in every case...

Good job!

Thank you, I tried not to copy your list this year.

RE: Draft position

Svech - 2 - 2 - 0
AA - 34 - 31 - +3
Zhuravlyov - 147 - 146 - +1
Pyrochta - Preds FA
Enns - 182 - undrafted
Malyshev - 192 - undrafted
Budy - 197 - undrafted

From 2017 - Flames drafted Shawn Boudrias 207th Overall, and yesterday he was drafted 179th - +38

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Kershov, your two Russians obviously define your draft. As we've discussed, I think Svech can probably go 30+30 next year, while AA will take some time, but the Ekholm comparison holds - and having drafted the guy, I'm intrigued for that reason - he will need time as well. Ekholm needed some time to adjust to the pace of things, and AA will too, especially as the league clearly took a hard turn towards small and quick on the blueline this past week.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Kershov, your two Russians obviously define your draft. As we've discussed, I think Svech can probably go 30+30 next year, while AA will take some time, but the Ekholm comparison holds - and having drafted the guy, I'm intrigued for that reason - he will need time as well. Ekholm needed some time to adjust to the pace of things, and AA will too, especially as the league clearly took a hard turn towards small and quick on the blueline this past week.

I know we talked about Alexeyev before the draft - and his Ekholm-ness - and I think AA fits the new NHL because, despite his size, he has the skating skills and defensive chops to more than keep up, and being big certainly won't hinder him. AA couldn't have landed in a better spot than Washington, a team that doesn't need him right away. He can stay in the WHL for a couple more years, play in some World Juniors, and be an impact player when he arrives.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames have signed seven free agents this summer -

Austin Strand was drafted by the Flamettes 186th overall in 2015 and after making little progress in the WHL, he was released. But that turned out to be premature. A trade and a new coach that gave him ample PP time and confidence, Strand blossomed and was signed to an ELC by the LA Kings.
Brandon Saigeon suffered a bad injury in his draft year and his skating held him back in his draft plus one season but he's worked hard at improving that aspect of his game so that his skill could be showcased. Was just drafted in the 2018 NHL draft in the 5th round by the Avalanche
Eric Robinson is a big winger who put up 31 points with Princeton last season and signed with the Columbus Blue Jackets after his senior season finished. Made his NHL debut vs. the Oilers.
Andrew Oglevie is a smaller kid from California who had consecutive years at more than a PPG in the NCAA and signed with Buffalo after his junior year. Has lots of puck skills - will be interesting to see how he develops as a pro.
Colin Larkin is the brother of Flamette Dylan Larkin. The forward signed with the Oilers after his senior season at U-Mass Boston. The two-time NCAA Div 3 Player-of-the-Year played 16 pro games last season.
Juuso Riikola is one of three defensemen the Flamettes signed - The Finnish player signed with Pittsburgh in the NHL after representing his country in the Worlds.
Marcus Hogstrom is already 29 - but will be making his pro-debut in North American this fall after signing a two-way contract with the Calgary Flames - will be in tough to make the roster but his experience could show.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->