HFNHL Flames - 2015 Draft Review

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
This is turning out to be one heck of a draft, despite career ending injuries to one of the 3rd round picks and no 2nd round pick.

Of the ten players drafted, 6 of whom were 105th or later, only 2 did not get NHL ELC contracts – one because of injury and the other was drafted 198th overall.

When 8 of your picks in one draft get NHL contracts, that's quite something.

Of this crop, one is a full time NHL player and two others have NHL games, but I think a couple others will make it.

Mathew Barzal – Drafted 8th Overall
Status – First Line Center

At 8, I had a list of 3 guys I wanted. Rantanen, Kyle Connor, Barzal. Tony took Rantanen at 7. A week before the draft, I’d talked myself out of Barzal because of his injuries, and was all set to draft Connor but then Redline came out, it rated him low and made a few negative comments… Barzal is a type of player I’m usually drawn to, especially as he was a WHL’er. And so, redline sealed the deal. He’s been outstanding so far, sacrificed his numbers to play a better team game and is becoming a team leader. Things couldn’t have worked out better.

Alec Dillon – Drafted 65th Overall
Status – Retired

Dillon was an overager drafted by the NHL Kings the year before who had an incredible D+1 year and signed with the Edmonton Oil Kings for a season in the WHL. However, a series of serious injured derailed his career and forced his retirement. At the time, we really needed goalies in the system and Dillon was an athletic 6’5” kid who had real promise. I’d make this pick again in retrospect – nothing you can do about injuries.

AJ Greer – Drafted 79th Overall
Status – AHL’er with NHL potential (and games)

Greer was coming off a true freshman 17-year-old season as the youngest player in the NCAA’s. When he didn’t get ice time the next season he went to his home province and became an instant force for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies as they won the Q title. Two seasons later he was an AHL All-Star. He’s had a few cups of coffee in the NHL but will need to improve his skating still in order to fit on a fast Avalanche roster. He’s a top 6 player in the A but will probably be a bottom 6 guy in the NHL. As a power forward, he's still developing.

Nikita Pavlychev – Drafted 98th Overall
Status – Rookie Pro next season w/ NHL potential

Pavlychev was a real shot in the dark - a giant kid with soft hands – who became a two way force at Penn State. Known for his offensive talent he became the best defensive center in the NCAA’s and its too bad Coronavirus shut down the season as Penn State was a favorite to win it all. He’s finished up his college career, is a Penguins draft pick, and will start his pro career whenever the AHL resumes.

David Cotton – Drafted 105th Overall
Statues – Rookie Pro next season w/ top 6 NHL potential

Cotton was a favorite, like a few of my other late picks over the year, straight from USHS. He just completed his senior year captaining Boston College. At BC he scored 127 points in 148 games. He has true NHL top-6 potential and I knew this was happening even as I traded him away but he was the piece that pushed a trade over the top - but at least he’s in a good home now. Right, Josh?

Nolan Vesey - Drafter 143rd Overall
Status – ECHL’er

Got an NHL ELC contract but got drafted by the Oilers guaranteeing he will bust like his brother.

Cameron Hughes – Drafted 159th Overall
Status – AHL’er who just played his first NHL Game

Hughes, like Cotton, was a forward who demonstrated real skill and ability but was playing at a lower level and heading to the NCAA’s. He became captain of the U. of Wisconsin, scoring 92 points in 139 games. He just finished his 2nd pro season which included a call up to the NHL to the Bruins. He was an AHL All Star and will be on the Boston roster for the upcoming playoffs. Anytime a 6th rounder makes the NHL it’s a home run and I think he could still carve out a full-time NHL career.

Austin Strand – Drafted 186th Overall
Status – AHL’er w/ NHL ELC

Strand went undrafted in the NHL as a tall lanky defenseman who suddenly found his game in his D+2 year and was signed by the LA Kings. He’s in the system now and just had a very good AHL campaign. Not sure of his NHL potential but his game continues to improve.

Ryan Bednard – Drafted 190th Overall
Status – Rookie pro w/ NHL back-up potential

I wish I drafted more goalies with Bednard in mind – NHL size – because with goalies you just never know. Bednard has gone from NAHL back-up in his draft year to getting an ELC offer from the Florida Panthers after his Junior year – just completed a very successful first year pro where his play in the ECHL led to him ending the season in the AHL. Like all goalies, still needs a lot of development but he has NHL potential. Had a 1.77 GAA in his last NCAA season, which led the entire league for full-time starters.

Jake Kupsky – Drafted 198th Overall
Status – Minor Leaguer w/ no NHL potential

Kupsky is not as athletic as the other two goalies I drafted but he has the size. Didn’t get any pro contract after aging out of the NCAA’s but picked up a contract in the SPHL, got noticed while having the best SV% and GAA in that league and got a couple ECHL contracts, where he performed well. He may have done enough to find a full-time contract, time will tell.

Reactions: Vagrant

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
David Cotton – Drafted 105th Overall
Statues – Rookie Pro next season w/ top 6 NHL potential

Cotton was a favorite, like a few of my other late picks over the year, straight from USHS. He just completed his senior year captaining Boston College. At BC he scored 127 points in 148 games. He has true NHL top-6 potential and I knew this was happening even as I traded him away but he was the piece that pushed a trade over the top - but at least he’s in a good home now. Right, Josh?

this was part of the david savard deal that part of me still laments despite it working out well from an asset standpoint. cotton, philly 1st 2016 (mcavoy) and ryan murphy. huge fan of savvy and it hurt to deal him, but it was strong asset management. plus, it's not like cotton is entirely off the block. come into the spa, etc.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
One of the more satisfying things is to hit on a player earlier than he went in the NHL, so chapeau for that with Barzal.

Will be interesting to see how Cotton translates to the pro game. I watched a fair bit of him the last two years with Hutsko, and sometimes I saw some real high end upside, but especially after a senior season in which he seemed to stagnate, I'm not as sold. Makes plays around the net and with his size and hands, but I'm not sure he moves or sees the ice well enough to be a top six player. Let's see.

Also, it feels like AJ Greer has been around forever. How is he only 23?

Reactions: Vagrant

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
this was part of the david savard deal that part of me still laments despite it working out well from an asset standpoint. cotton, philly 1st 2016 (mcavoy) and ryan murphy. huge fan of savvy and it hurt to deal him, but it was strong asset management. plus, it's not like cotton is entirely off the block. come into the spa, etc.

I think its' worked out okay for both sides. I needed that long term 2nd pair guy and while his scoring peaked right when we made the trade he still gets great ratings for his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->