HFNHL Detroit Red Wings draft board.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
The HFNHL Detroit Redwings were very busy day 1 without making any moves they went into the day selecting 8 times the results were not perfect as some GMs took targets early on we hoped would fall. However, the draft still panned out very positively.

4th overall Defensemen Jamie Drysdale

Drysdale, is the package every new top end modern day defensemen needs. I fully suspect, he will take a year or 2 before cracking the NHL much like Makar/Hughes/Byram before him. He is a smooth skating defender who likes to play up but with enough IQ and speed to cover for his mistake. I was fully impressed with his play as a 17 year old on a gold medal winning Canada squad. He earned more ice time due to strong play despite his age on a team who usually buries 17 year olds down the line up.

6th overall Center Cole Perfetti

He will likely become a winger at the NHL level, versus a center. To be honest I was thinking this was who my father was going to take at 3 then when he traded down at 5. My biggest concern is his skating he is not a bad skater but for someone his size its not where you would like it either. Much more of a play maker than a goal scorer, he finished tied for 2nd in points in the whole draft class. His hockey IQ is amazing and he just seems to think the game at another level. I suspect like Drysdale he will need a year or 2 before we see what he is able to do.

50th overall Defensemen Lukas Cormier

A great puck mover with solid but not elite foot speed he is a player who can hurt you on the offense, either with his great vision to find open men or a solid slapper from the blue line. The knock on him like many offensive defenders is he is not the greatest at defense. however, he did appear to work on it this season which is a positive thin. Like the last defender I took from Charlottetown Islanders he is a lanky defender who needs to get bigger so he is not pushed over as easy against men.

52nd overall Winger Roby Jarventie

One of the youngest players in this draft he is a project pick, with a good frame and solid speed he is the prototypical power forward. He could be Pat Maroon, or JVR depending on how he develops. His upside being a 30 goal scoring winger. Needs to work on his whole game, and fill out before ever making the jump but the upside is there if we are patient and he develops properly.

56th overall Defensemen Joni Jurmo

At 6 foot 4 you would forgive him for not being the lightest on his feet. However, all skating reports suggest that he is a top flight skater which bodes well. He is a great defender with solid gap control, and an effective stick but needs to use his size a bit more. Well he has a good offensive game some wonder what his offensive upside is after a solid but not stunning offensive total in Finnish junior league.

63rd overall Winger Zayde Wisdom

He is not an elite offensive weapon at best he maybe squeaks in as a 2nd line defensive forward. That being said, he is a tireless worker not afraid to do the dirty work along the boards to get the puck. He also has the smarts to play with top tier talent an not look out of place. He projects to be the Ferland/Wilson/Hyman types guys who do the dirty work for the top guys put up solid numbers but more valuable to the team then on paper

72nd overall Winger Daniel Torgersson

Another power forward type, except the question is bigger on his upside. Likely more the Patrick Maroon than the JVRs, but can still be a solid top 9 forward down the line if he develops properly. This year really could see his draft stock spike or fall as people wonder how he will do without elite offensive talents. However, when you get into these picks its take the safe route or reach out for hope like we did here.

88th overall Winger Dmitri Ovchinikov

Elite skater, with a wicked shot he is not afraid to get dirty and drive the net. He needs to get stronger, and its unclear just what position at forward he ends up playing at. He needs to work on his defensive play. This is a boom or bust guy as i don't think he has the tools to be a bottom 6 guy.

we only have 2 picks day 2 which means a much calmer easier day, but we are very happy with day 1 results and hope to see a few of these guys in Wings uniforms a few years down the road

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
As much as I like Drysdale, I wouldn't personally have traded down, but he and Perfetti as a duo is still a nice get. The bust rate for high end OHLers seems extremely low as well, so you can quite confidently slot those two in long-term.

Jarventie and Jurmo were both short-list candidates for me at 55, so I like both picks. Jarventie I couldn't quite figure out in watching him, but you can't deny the production, the tools and the age. Jurmo I was more sold on. No doubt a high-risk player, and there's a chance he can't put it together, but I liked him at the U19 Five Nations in Berlin quite a bit, which was a fair jump up from the U20 leagues.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
As much as I like Drysdale, I wouldn't personally have traded down, but he and Perfetti as a duo is still a nice get. The bust rate for high end OHLers seems extremely low as well, so you can quite confidently slot those two in long-term.

Jarventie and Jurmo were both short-list candidates for me at 55, so I like both picks. Jarventie I couldn't quite figure out in watching him, but you can't deny the production, the tools and the age. Jurmo I was more sold on. No doubt a high-risk player, and there's a chance he can't put it together, but I liked him at the U19 Five Nations in Berlin quite a bit, which was a fair jump up from the U20 leagues.

Had i known i would be making a huge deal to acquire another top 10 pick. Before hand i likely dont trade down an just hope Drysdale falls into my lap at 6. But im still happy with the draft either way

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Day 2 picks

103rd overall Vsevolod Skotnikov goalie

When i moved up fron 10 to 6 i wrote off drafting a goalie. The honest truth being at least the guys i read about i was not worth wasting more than a late pick an knew they would not fall. However reading through sleeper lists this mans name came up a few times. 2 things were mentioned on why he is not highly sought after. Askorov has cast a huge shadow over Russian goalies, meaning teams don't check on him as often. And he is not a big man standing at 6 feet even, in an age where we love to just throw the biggest man in net to take up space to stop the puck.
However, watching full games and some highlight videos suggest he could beat those odds. With a 1.39GAA and 939sv% in the Russian junior leagues it surprising he does not get a bit more press.

149th overall Landon Kosior defense

17 years old, playing on a team with Kaiden Guhle. Kosior actually stole Guhles PP time with his play. He is one of the younger players in this draft. It will be interesting to see how he develops. The knock on him is his size, but again he is a young kid who has time to grow. Time will really tell as he ages and develops to be a hidden gem.

191st overall Lukas Svejkovsky winger

Its bad enough he's a small winger, even though in todays day and age more and more are overcoming the size issue. However his biggest knock? The similar player name drawn to him as a kid is Alexander Semin. Watching his highlight videos show just how good he can be. However, watching some full games he could just careless when he does not have the puck. He just seems to think because he might be the best player on the ice he does not have to try. If someone can fix his attitude, he might be a hidden gem. I dont think you can get a better definition of boom or bust than a Semin comparable.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I’m curious to know if anyone else was going for Drysdale if you hadn’t, as he was tops of my list at 6. Knowing he was gone, however, I had hoped for Sanderson at 10. Scuppered in that hope, but it enabled you to get Perfetti, who looks like a true star.

I really like Wisdom in the third as well.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
A little less than a month to go till draft. Might have also provided an opportunity for Skotnikov to boost his draft stock. At 18 years old, hes now moved up to play with CSKA Moscow in the KHL. A goalie i was an still am unsure if he gets drafted, might be able to prove hes worth a shot.

952sv% 1gaa at 18 for a premier KHL team isnt a bad debut

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->