(HFNHL) CHL Import Draft

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
All three of the Blues 4th rounders have been taken, including Tomas Kundratek (Prince Albert Raiders), Dmitri Kugryshev (Quebec Remparts) and Evgeny Grachev (Niagara IceDogs).

The Kugryshev pick by Quebec was anticipated, so I expect he's already agreed to play there this year (or at least try it out). Grachev has said he is playing in NA for sure this year, although he could end up in the AHL potentially. No idea if Kundratek is coming over, but Prince Albert has nother Czech defender there (Tomas Voracek), so that looks promising.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
All three of the Blues 4th rounders have been taken, including Tomas Kundratek (Prince Albert Raiders), Dmitri Kugryshev (Quebec Remparts) and Evgeny Grachev (Niagara IceDogs).

The Kugryshev pick by Quebec was anticipated, so I expect he's already agreed to play there this year (or at least try it out). Grachev has said he is playing in NA for sure this year, although he could end up in the AHL potentially. No idea if Kundratek is coming over, but Prince Albert has nother Czech defender there (Tomas Voracek), so that looks promising.
Actually Grachev is going to Brampton and Kundratek is going to Medicine Hat, Prince Albert and Niagra dealt there pick.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Canadiens 1st rounder Erik Karlsson was selected with the 1st pick in the 2nd rnd of the import draft to Mississauga. I personally don't think he will come over, as he is likely to be playing decent minutes with Frolunda in the SEL. If he did, him and fellow Habs prospect Cameron Gaunce would make quite the D pairing.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Told you Trunev was a nice pickup, Matt!

Columbus had three players selected, with 2008 selections Jerome Flaake and Andrei Loktionov and 2007 draft pick Sergei Korostin all being claimed.

Loktionov was the first claimed, 7th overall by Windsor of the OHL. With Joshua Bailey and Adam Henrique already on the roster, it's expected Loktionov - whose NHL rights are held by Los Angeles - would be switched to wing if he joins the Spitfires.

Flaake was next, selected by Prince George of the WHL 9th overall. Columbus and the Tornto Maple LEafs will both be watching the big forward's development closely. Although drafted as a LW, Flaake was listed as a C in the import draft. It wil be interesting to observe where he plays if he comes to Canada.

Korostin was also selected in the first round, 37th overall to London of the OHL. The Russian-born RW is already in North America, having played last season in the Central Hockey League. Dallas holds his NHL rights.

- - -

Not claimed in the Import Draft was the Jackets' 2008 third-round pick, Andre Petersson. "We're happy to see Andre continue his development in Sweden at this time," said Jackets' GM Doug Emerson. "He has work to do to round out his game, his strength and defensive commitment, and we believe he can do that just fine where he is. Perhaps in a year or two, he might be ready to consider coming to North America, but for now there's no rush."

Tim Branholm, a late-round selection of the Jackets', was overlooked in both hte CHL import draft and in the NHL entry draft. "He's a sleeper, he'll get a chance to play in a higher league this year, we'll continue to watch his development with interest," says Emerson. "He's another who we're not looking for anything from right away other than continued work on his game."

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Anaheim's 5th round selection, Igor Revenko, was selected in the Import Draft by Medicine Hat. Revenko, a product of noted hockey factory Belarus, went unselected in the NHL Draft.

I must admit that I took a bit of a flier on Revenko. Given that he finished second to Cody Hodgson in scoring at the U-18s, and that he seemed fairly likely to come over to North America for the 2008-09 season, I figured someone might take a shot on him in the NHL Draft. Here's hoping he proves 'em all wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad