HFNHL: Broadway Firesale?

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The NY Rangers may be on the verge of a fire-sale with an eye toward the future. Big names could be moved.

When asked for comment, GM Gaffney offered up some vague but interesting comments,

"The delay of the start of the season really hurt us in my opinion. If we were a couple months into the season, we would have a clearer picture of what direction we want to head in. We have not made any decisions at this point, but I will not rule anything out."

Among players who could potentially be heading out of NY include superstar goaltender Tim Thomas, sniper Ilya Kovalchuk, center Marc Savard, winger Cory Stillman, as well as veteran defensemen Jaro Spacek, Craig Rivet, and Radek Martinek. Many of these players are on the final year of their contracts and are eligible to become unrestricted free agents in the summer.

If they do start shipping out some veterans, the team would likely look to add young talent and draft picks to supplement former first round picks Colin Wilson and Michael Frolik and some other young players working their way up.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Some other potential trade candidates on the role player/depth end of the spectrum. With the amount of injuries so far this season, these guys could be good additions.

D Jassen Cullimore is also available for a draft pick. Scheduled to be UFA after the season. He's having a solid season for the Blackhawks in the NHL. Could be a great depth addition to a contender.

F Ryan Johnson is also on the market. Good defensive center (80DF) who is also UFA after this season. NHL Blackhawks have also picked him up and he is getting NHL playing time again. Another player who could be valuable on the PK for a contender.

Petr Prucha available for a draft pick.

Robert Lang is still rated well enough to provide some solid secondary scoring and is available.

No guarantees that the Rangers are going to make any moves at this point, but it's certainly time to start discussing options.

Last edited:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I've gotten a lot of emails with trade interest in the last 24 hours...

If I don't respond right away, don't think I'm ignoring you. I have a lot to evaluate, but I will respond to all offers/inquiries.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
To NY: Kari Lehtonen, Milan Michalek, Dustin Jeffrey
To Nashville: Tim Thomas, Jim Slater, OTT 5th 2011

Starting the movement to get younger. I would have been very happy to re-sign Thomas (contract expires after this season), but I'm not sure it would be worth it given my supporting cast. Lehtonen is still only 27 and is having a pretty good season for one of the best teams in the NHL; Michalek isn't producing in Ottawa, but has shown signs of life lately is still only 26. I'm high on Jeffrey's potential and think he may be able to step into my lineup as early as next season in a bottom 6 role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad