(HFNHL) Blue Jackets 2021 Expansion preview

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The 2021 Seattle expansion draft will release the Kraken upon the NHL. The Jackets lost Justin Auger to Las Vegas back in 2017; next summer they stand to lose a much more proven asset.

(*2021 UFA; **Buyout candidate)

(For ineligibles I only listed perceived high-value targets.)

Forwards
Up front the still rebuilding Blue Jackets are in a good position, depending on how players perform in the coming season before Seattle makes their picks. With quite a few kids on the roster and more soon to follow, Columbus can afford to limit its exposure to a few older, overpaid or expiring veterans.

Eligible (10):
Anthony Beauvillier
Nick Bjugstad
Derrick Brassard
Brett Connolly*
Morgan Geekie
Adrian Kempe
Jujhar Khaira*
Kole Lind
Patrick Marleau*
Zach Sanford*
Jeff Skinner
Chris Tierney

Ineligible: Nick Suzuki, Kaapo Kakko, Morgan Frost

Defence
At this point, the blueline seems to be the more attractive option for the Kraken’s selection if the Jackets choose to protect 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

Eligible:
Zach Bogosian*
Cam Dineen
Justin Faulk
Haydn Fleury
Victor Hedman
Michal Kempny
Jaycob Megna*
Nicolas Meloche
Mitch Reinke
Mark Stone*
Devon Toews

Ineligible: Dante Fabbro, Jacob Bryson

Goalies
At $9 million, Bobrovsky seems an unlikely selection, and with Seattle only allowed to use three expansion picks for goalies, the minor leaguers seem even more unlikely. Nilsson will be a pending UFA, but if he outplays Bobrovsky this year he might get re-signed and end up the goalie Columbus protects.

Eligible:
Sergei Bobrovsky
Philippe Desrosiers
Keith Kinkaid*
Anders Nilsson*
Anthony Stolarz*

PROJECTION
The depth on defence means the Jackets might choose to protect 8 skaters, which would allow them to protect one of Kempny or Fleury at the cost of exposing more forwards like Khaira, Geekie and Lind.

It’s more likely the Jackets will look to strike a deal with Seattle to manage the asset selected. Barring such an agreement, or other player movement in the coming season, here is what we see happening:

Expected protection list:
F (7): Beauvillier, Bjugstad, Geekie, Kempe, Lind, Sanford, Tierney
D (3): Faulk, Hedman, Toews
G (1): Bobrovsky

Projected Seattle Selection (barring trade):
D Michal Kempny

Reactions: Zack22

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Is it HFNHL games played? Cuz if its NHL/AHL games played Kakko, Frost, and Suzuki would all have to be protected as they would have played 2 seasons in the league.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Reactions: MatthewFlames

CopperAndBlueGM

Mar 9, 2017
Wow you're ahead of the game. With all my temporary '1 year' signings in EDM I might even have to pick up a waiver guy or two later in the year just to have the necessary bodies that fill the mandatory exposure criteria for goalie and forward. or of couse extend a couple of guys contract I would normally be walking away from in the off-season anyway :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wow you're ahead of the game. With all my temporary '1 year' signings in EDM I might even have to pick up a waiver guy or two later in the year just to have the necessary bodies that fill the mandatory exposure criteria for goalie and forward. or of couse extend a couple of guys contract I would normally be walking away from in the off-season anyway :)

Your 1-year deal strategy is serving you quite well, including re-upping Filppula. But yes, you may need to juggle a bit at the deadline to ensure you’re covered.

I just needed to figure out what the expansion implications were for some of my recent moves, and what I should be looking to do (or not do) in the coming season. Once a Seattle GM is named, I’m sure there will be lots of teams talking to them. I just have to hope I don’t “pull a Tallon”...

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Bumping this, now that the Kraken have named their GM. Look forward to seeing more of these. Perhaps those GMs who don’t have prospects at the World Juniors will find themselves with tome on their hands... (cough, cough...).

Reactions: MatthewFlames

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Bumping this, now that the Kraken have named their GM. Look forward to seeing more of these. Perhaps those GMs who don’t have prospects at the World Juniors will find themselves with tome on their hands... (cough, cough...).

Did i miss a post? I havent seen any Krakken GM. Just the Devils getting a new GM

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
Some questions about Expansion draft in HFNHL?

1) Since the HFNHL is one season behind the NHL with ratings and ELC signings, I assume that players like Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk, Rasmus Dahlin etc. Are exempt from the EXPANSION draft. Because they will ALL have one year remaining on their ELC (in HFNHL) after this HFNHL season. Right or wrong?

2) I also assume that the HFNHL will use NHL games played when it comes to expansion player exposure rules.
Example: I have Mike Amadio who played 68 games in the NHL 2019/2020 season. If Amadio plays 2 games or more in the NHL in 2021 he will have played 70 games over last 2 NHL seasons. Add to that, Amadio is RFA after 2021 so he can be exposed in the HFNHL expansion draft?? Because he played 70+ NHL games and he is RFA (not UFA) after this HFNHL season.

After I get clarification I would be happy to post my plan for expansion draft.

Happy New Year everyone!! Go Team Canada!!!

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Some questions about Expansion draft in HFNHL?

1) Since the HFNHL is one season behind the NHL with ratings and ELC signings, I assume that players like Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk, Rasmus Dahlin etc. Are exempt from the EXPANSION draft. Because they will ALL have one year remaining on their ELC (in HFNHL) after this HFNHL season. Right or wrong?

2) I also assume that the HFNHL will use NHL games played when it comes to expansion player exposure rules.
Example: I have Mike Amadio who played 68 games in the NHL 2019/2020 season. If Amadio plays 2 games or more in the NHL in 2021 he will have played 70 games over last 2 NHL seasons. Add to that, Amadio is RFA after 2021 so he can be exposed in the HFNHL expansion draft?? Because he played 70+ NHL games and he is RFA (not UFA) after this HFNHL season.

After I get clarification I would be happy to post my plan for expansion draft.

Happy New Year everyone!! Go Team Canada!!!

1) NHL seasons not HFNHL so will have to protect them.
2) Amadio is long past 3 pro seasons(NHL/AHL) and will have to be protected

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->