HFNHL Arizona Coyotes 2019 HFNHL Draft Recap

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
Arizona Coyotes focused their draft around forwards and goaltenders taking 6 forwards including 5 centres and rounded out the draft with two goaltenders. They also made a unique set of selections. In Ontario Minor Midget AAA hockey in 2016-2017 the three leading scorers the OMHA ETA region (the region covering North and East of Toronto up to Kingston) The top three goal scorers played for the York-Simcoe Express, Whitby Wildcats and the Ajax/Pickering Raiders. All three were selected by the HFNHL's Arizona Coyotes at the 2019 HFNHL Draft. Alex Newhook, Blake Murray and Connor McMichael were all top end goal scorers in Minor Hockey and all carry other dimensions to their game which made them attractive HFNHL selections.

Alex Newhook – LC – Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) 5'10” 195
HFNHL: 1st Round - 11th Overall
NHL: 1st Round - 16th Overall by the Colorado Avalanche in 2019
Analysis: Coyotes have never gone to the BCHL with their first pick in the HFNHL Draft. All that changed with Newhook. Alex is a shifty skilled forward who possesses tremendous skating ability and plays at a very high pace. We believe Alex could become a smaller, shiftier version of our first line centre Mika Zibanejad; a player who can excel in all situations and still be a productive player on the scoreboard. Alex will go to Boston College next year where Coyotes Prospect Joseph Woll played the past 3 seasons.

Connor McMichael – LC – London Knights (OHL) 6'00” 182
HFNHL: 1st Round - 31st Overall
NHL: 1st Round - 25th Overall by the Washington Capitals in 2019
Analysis: Connor is a pretty complete player who can play all three forward positions and really any type of role necessary. He's one of the smartest players available in this draft. He's a player who has really developed into the player we thought he could be after going from 16 points last year to 72 this year. Connor has top six forward potential in the HFNHL who could be a second line centre or a first/second line winger.

Alexander Campbell – LW – Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) 5'10” 154
HFNHL Draft: 4th Round - 98th Overall
NHL Draft: 3rd Round - 65th Overall by the Nashville Predators in 2019
Analysis: Campbell possesses high end skating ability and agility that makes him difficult to defend. He has well balanced offensive skill and likes to create offense. He's a player who is a bit of a project. He still has a lot of room to add strength and will go to Clarkson University. Alexander is a player we don't expect to make an impact for another 4-5 years, but has a lot of upside for a team who has prospect depth and can stand to be patient.

Blake Murray – LC – Sudbury Wolves (OHL) 6'02” 187
HFNHL Draft: 4th Round - 102nd Overall
NHL Draft: 6th Round - 183rd Overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in 2019
Analysis: Blake is a big goal scoring forward who is acapable of playing both centre or the wing. One of his best attributes is his ability to read a scoring situation develop and get into idea situation to be the finisher on the chance. His strongest attribute is his shot. But this is accompanied by his ability to get his big 6'02” frame through to the net for prime scoring areas to use that shot. He needs to improve his skating a little, he's also not very physical, but his lack of aggression can sometimes get confused for a lack of effort. Blake is actually pretty efficient at quietly forcing turnovers. He's a player who would need to play a top 9 role in order to be effective at the HFNHL level, but possesses the skill to make that happen.

Cole Schwindt – RC – Mississauga Steelheads (OHL) 6'02” 182
HFNHL Draft: 5th Round - 129th Overall
NHL Draft: 3rd Round - 81st Overall by the Florida Panthers in 2019
Cole plays a full 200 foot game and is effective in all game situations. He is capable of contributing offensively but does not project to be a big points player at the next level. He's extremely effective on the backcheck and is tough to play against defensively. He can carry the puck with confidence up ice with his big frame, and uses his body to protect. He was Mississauga's best player in half of their playoff games this year which says a lot with a first rounder on the roster. Cole projects to be an excellent third line centre who contributes on the penalty kill and can produce respectable numbers in the HFNHL.

Mikhail Abramov – LC – Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL) 5'11” 161
HFNHL Draft: 5th Round – 133rd Overall
NHL Draft: 4th Round - 115th Overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2019
Mikhail is a skilled, playmaking forward who is capable of playing all three forward positions. He is a little light on his feet at this point and will need to add muscle to his frame and is a little bit of a project at this point. He is a shifty forward who has excellent hockey sense and makes his linemates better. He will need several years of both junior and AHL action, but if he stays focused on making the NHL he has a good chance of becoming a second/third line forward capable of creating both chances and turnovers.

Jordan Kooy – G – London Knights (OHL) 6'03” 191
HFNHL Draft: 6th Round - 160th Overall
NHL Draft: 7th Round - 208th Overall by the Vegas Golden Knights in 2018
Jordan going back to his minor midget hockey was always a guy who could keep his team in the game. Despite a very young Knights team he's had nights where he's really stood on his head and kept his team in the game. He has ideal size and good technique. He will need to continue to improve on rebound control, but he stole the starting job from Overage goaltender Joseph Raaymakers and is the best goaltender to wear a Knights jersey since Tyler Parsons.

David Tendeck – G – Vancouver Giants (WHL) 6'02” 181
HFNHL Draft: 7th Round - 191st Overall
NHL Draft: 6th Round - 158th Overall by the Arizona Coyotes in 2018
Analysis: David had an outstanding season with the Vancouver Giants posting a 24-10 record with 4 shutouts then he went 11-3 in the playoffs with a 2.38 GAA and .918 Save Percentage. David has grown a great deal over the last season and helped lead the Vancouver Giants to a Game #7 Overtime appearance at the WHL Finals. The Coyotes Goaltending future is pretty open and unpredictable at the moment and David will have a chance to work his way up the depth chart in the coming seasons.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Really like Mcmichael was getting excited seeing him fall hoping he was gunna land in my lap. Also like Murray, i kept shuffling him around my day 2 list but figured you being his team scout that you'd taken him though

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Your big darkhorse pick right here is Alexander Campbell. He topped my list for day 2 but i did not have picks in the 4th.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Your big darkhorse pick right here is Alexander Campbell. He topped my list for day 2 but i did not have picks in the 4th.
Agreed. Now that I've moved to Victoria, I'm disappointed I didn't make an effort to go watch a couple Grizzlies games, given the talent in this draft. I've only seen a few clips of Campbell but liked what I read and had him near the top of my draft board for round 3/4 as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad