(HFNHL) 31 Flavours?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
From Game Day 51 to Game Day 114, the Blue Jackets played 31 consecutive games scoring at least a point. During that span they lost just four times - twice in overtime (versus MIN and PHI) and twice in the shootout (versus OTT and, unsurprisingly, DET), recording a whopping 58 out of 62 points.

It all came to an end today when the new-look Edmonton Oilers handed the Jackets their first regulation loss in what feels like forever: a 6-4 trouncing that saw the visiting Oilers chase Tomas Vokoun with 4 goals on 15 shots and strut out to a 5-0 lead before taking their foot off the gas and coasting into a 6-4 victory. Devan Dubnyk stopped 20 of 22 shots in relief.

New Oilers Alex Edler and Franz Neilsen factored into the victory, while new Blue Jacket Barrett Jackman was victimized on the second pairing with a -3 rating.

Jackets Captain Kimmo Timonen made a statement following the loss.

"Fans and the media were starting to talk like victory was inevitable. Everybody loves winning, the players included, and this has been a great string. But we play the games, we know how tough the teams are and how much it takes to pull out the win. Even when you play that hard, even when you do everything right, a bounce here or a bounce there can still mean the difference between between a win and a loss. Losing is part of playing - there are no easy games out here. Now we just have to focus on the next game, getting back in the 'W' column.

"And catching Detroit. Let's not forget that despite all these wins, we're still sitting fourth in the West. The Wings have been playing every bit as well as we have for the past two months - better, based on the standings. We had our chances at them early in the season and we blew it - now we have to run the table the rest of the way and hope that they stumble a bit, just like we did tonight.

"The bounces didn't go our way, but we know we have a good thing going here, so we're going to keep playing just as hard, and look to get right back on track in our quest for the Cup."

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I should add my congrats to Mike for finally unhorsing the "juggernaut" of superior skill and team building ;) (read: luck and sim oddities). It was bound to happen eventually, and I'm frankly relieved now that it has - I can just focus on playoff positioning and not worry about a silly record.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
BAH! Just one loss ... let's see more of them :P

You could just as easily go on another long streak. Only difference is if you break 31 straight this time that would essentially put you in the conference finals.

Seriously when you mention 'play-off positioning' you likely have similar thoughts as mine ...
Q1: Do I really want the curse/pressure of a President's Trophy?
A1: No!

Q2: Do I want the Jackets pass me and play either the Blues or Av's in the first round?
A2: No! Especially since this is a rare year where the Blues have been beating me in the regular season and i don't like how the Wings match-up against the Av's in the least.

Luckily there's 25 games left so plenty of time for an option 3 to emerge like the freshly reloaded Canucks. Just as daunting. Yikes.

I guess the real answer is don't think about positioning b/c there isn't any easy outs in the west. Just make the play-offs and prey to Bufu for the best.

Last edited:

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
I'll admit, I had to double-check the scoreboard to see that the right team was in red. Let's also not forget that Columbus nearly killed Fleury in the process -- he went from 100% to 97% overnight. :laugh:

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Doug - great run - has to be a modern day record. I generally refrain from giving kudos to western conf. teams - but I'll make an exception in this case ;). Kudos to you and your Jackets. (Note: that hurt ;) )

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not as much as having Drew and me in the east is going to! ;)

Jesus, forgot about this. I should be happy, I suppose, but why does this give me a touch of melancholy? Kind of like White Spy finding out Black Spy has been re-assigned to a new territory.

And nice run Douglas. Both your Jackets and Drew's Wings were en fuego for a month or so there. Thank god you guys made a few deals for some low MO players to mess up your whole chemistry thing.

But don't feel bad, I've screwed up several really good teams with trades at this point in the season too. :naughty:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Jesus, forgot about this. I should be happy, I suppose, but why does this give me a touch of melancholy? Kind of like White Spy finding out Black Spy has been re-assigned to a new territory.

And nice run Douglas. Both your Jackets and Drew's Wings were en fuego for a month or so there. Thank god you guys made a few deals for some low MO players to mess up your whole chemistry thing.

But don't feel bad, I've screwed up several really good teams with trades at this point in the season too. :naughty:

Yeah, I kinda feel like we're breaking up the band to do solo projects... :(

On the bright side, I get to spark up new rivalries with Rich, Sean, Hasnain, Alvaro, Robb, Jon and Josh H. Wonder which one of them is going to be my kryptonite.

As for the trades, I think I managed to mostly tinker around the edges, so it shouldn't be a drastic change. We're told morale has been turned off, but just in case I plan on banking a bunch more wins to get everyone's morale nice and healthy by the playoffs. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad