HFNHL 2019 Mock Draft V3.0 Final

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
1. Detroit Red Wings - Kaapo Kaako
This is a tough decision for GM Zach Niece, but I think the display that Kaako put on at the world championships has made it a little bit easier for the Red Wings.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Jack Hughes
This might be the only for sure spot in the entire first round, GM Doug Emerson just selects whoever the Red Wings leave on the board between Hughes and Kaako. My gut tells me that Hughes ends up in Columbus.

3. Philadelphia Flyers - Bowen Byram
As I write this Philadelphia GM Silvan is likely offering this pick up in a trade. I can’t say for sure that it’s the Flyers come Saturday that make this pick, but I believe that no matter who makes the pick Bowen Byram is the guy that gets selected. Some scouts have labeled him as a future Norris trophy candidate.

4. Dallas Stars - Alex Turcotte
The draft gets really interesting starting right now. There is a group of players that could go anywhere from now until pick 11 or 12. Stars GM Tom Baker is probably deciding between a smaller group of player Dach, Cozens and Turcotte. In the end I think his staff and him lean towards the American.

5. Vegas Golden Knights - Trevor Zegras
Another year and Vegas gets their worst possible selection coming out of the lottery. It’s not all bad as there is some very good talent on the board still just none that is going to step into the Vegas lineup right away. GM Lemoine needs to add defenders to his prospect pool but at this point there isn’t really one worthy of the 5th pick so the Knights continue to add to their forward depth with the skilled Trevor Zegras. Kirby Dach and Peyton Krebs two other players that are rumoured to be high on the Knights list.

6. Carolina Hurricanes - Kirby Dach
The Carolina Hurricanes are deep down the middle of the ice. However GM Darryl Solly understands you can’t have to many skilled centers. The debate here is between Dach, Cozens and Krebs. The Canes walk away with a big strong center in Dach who has been compared to Ryan Getzlaf.

7. Arizona Coyotes - Peyton Krebs
The Coyotes typically like players with some size and the debate here is between Krebs, Boldy and Podkolzin. Krebs ability to play center is what separates him from the other two players at this point for the Coyotes even with Krebs recently torn achilles tendon. Krebs isn’t expected back action until at least December.

8. Florida Panthers - Matthew Boldy
The Panthers I think want a center and Cozens is still available, however there are questions surrounding his hockey sense. I don’t think GM Otten is a big fan of Cozens and would like to move up in the draft. If that doesn’t happen and this is how the draft plays out my belief is the American winger with a strong two way game will be the selection here for the Panthers.

9. Edmonton Oilers - Dylan Cozens
GM Drew Niece is in full rebuild mode here in Edmonton, because of some unlucky ping pong balls Edmonton slides down the order a bit and is in a bit of a tough spot. They understand the need for a big time center and despite the urge to go with the pint sized goal scorer in Caulfield, they stick to building down the middle of the ice with Cozens.

10. New Jersey Devils - Cole Caufield
Given how this draft has unfolded to this point, I have no doubt in my mind that the Devils select the American winger Caufield here. He’s really small but that didn’t stop him from setting a goal scoring record with the USNTDP.

11. Philadelphia Flyers - Alex Newhook
This is the second of the Flyers 3 picks in the first round, and yet again who really knows if they will still be holding this on draft day. If they are I believe that they will pass on the big Russian winger here and instead select the Canadian center. GM Silvan is rumoured to believe that Newhook is #2 best looking in the entire draft.

12. Montreal Canadiens - Philip Broberg
There is a new GM in Montreal and nobody really knows what to expect here. Podkolzin, Broberg, Harley, Soderstrom, York and Seider will all get consideration here. In the end I feel that Montreal goes with the big smooth skating Swedish defender and the fall for Podkolzin continues.

13. Philadelphia Flyers - Moritz Seider
Here we go again with Alvaro coming to the podium for the 3rd time in this draft. We are at the point in the draft where we might see a run on defensemen with the exception that somebody will have to step up and take Podkolzin. The Flyers staff spent some time watching the big German at the World Championships and came away really impressed. Worth the gamble with such a deep system and their 3rd pick in the top 15.

14. Pittsburgh Penguins - Vasili Podkolzin
I’m fairly certain that the Penguins aren’t expecting this type of fall for Podkolzin. As a result the management team stops shopping this pick and makes a quick decision to go with the Russian winger here.

15. Los Angeles Kings - Victor Soderstrom
The Kings might have been hoping for Podkolzin to fall one more spot, but are happy with their choice of York, Soderstrom and Harley. My feeling is that they go with Swede who has played some good minutes already in the SHL against professional competition.

16. Pittsburgh Penguins - Thomas Harley
I believe that the Penguins may have been targeting Harley at 14 if they couldn’t move the pick, but they didn’t expect Podkolzin to fall to them either. The other player thatGM Doduck debates here I think is goaltender Spencer Knight. However looking at the Penguins current roster I don’t think they want to wait that long for a goalie to develop at least not with a first round pick.

17. New Jersey Devils - Spencer Knight
The Devils are at the podium for the second time now. It’s going to be a tough decision here for the Devils management team between Knight and Cam York with Arthur Kaliyev getting some outside consideration. In the end the Devils gamble on the goalie with the understanding that it’s going to take some time for Knight to reach the HFNHL.

18. Vancouver Canucks - Cam York
The Canucks have drafted a lot from the OHL in recent years and as a result I think will spend some time debating Tomasino, Kaliyev, McMichael and Suzuki here. However those four guys have some question marks. So I think the American defender from the USNTDP will be the choice here as possibly the last guy to go from that grouping of defenders expected to go here in the middle of the first.

19. Tampa Bay Lightning - Arthur Kaliyev
We are at a point in the draft now where things could really open up, with guys that could go anywhere between now and the end of the second round. It just depends how much a team likes a certain player. There is maybe a handful of guys left that I would say will for sure go in the first round and Lightning will grab one of those guys.

20. Anaheim Ducks - Ryan Suzuki
The Ducks aren't scared off by size, they just typically look for the guy they think is the most skilled. With 3 picks in the last 3rd of the first round the Ducks will be busy working the phones trying to move up, down, left and right.

21. Toronto Maple Leafs - Philip Tomasino
Another team with a new GM. The new guy in town is rumoured to like the OHL and be most familiar with the players from that league. Tomasino, McMichael and Rees will be options here but Tomasino may be a level up on the other two.

22. Boston Bruins - Raphael Lavoie
I previously had Brett Leason here and so have other mocks and it does make some sense given Boston likes players with size and Leason may be the safest pick left on the board. I switching things up though with Lavoie still on the board his upside is to much for Boston to pass on.

23. New Jersey Devils - Bobby Brink
As I’m writing this I got breaking news of a trade between Anaheim and New Jersey which sees this pick end up with the Devils. The Devils really like American players and here will be choosing between Brink, Beecher, Vlasic and Johnson. The edge goes to Brink here with his high upside and potential as a goal scorer.

24. Vegas Golden Knights - Vladislav Kolyachonok
Vegas really needs to add defenders to its prospect pool and there a bunch that could be under consideration here Heinola, Robertson, Bjornfot, Johnson, Vlasic, Thomson and Kolyachonok. Although he might seem like a reach here the Golden Knights are said to be really impressed with his play this year during the OHL campaign and at the U18 worlds with Belarus.

25. Florida Panthers - Jamieson Rees
The Panthers GM Brock Otten really spends a lot of time watching OHL talent, and while he doesn’t always go the OHL route word is he really like Jamieson Rees. Another possibility here is Connor McMichael.

26. Chicago Blackhawks - Nils Hoglander
Chicago goes with the player they feel has the highest likely upside. Other players that the Blackhawks may consider here are Heinola, Pelletier, Leason, Poulin and McMichael.

27. Nashville Predators - Ville Heinola
The Predators aren’t afraid to draft from Europe and there are a bunch of European players that could be in consideration in the late first. Heinola, Dorofeyev, Bjornfot, Afanasyev, Grewe, Holmtrom and Puistola are all candidates here. The smooth skating Finn will who has been called a poor mans Heiskanen by some is the selection here for the Preds.

28. New York Islanders - Connor McMichael
The Islanders had a big year making it to the conference finals. The prospect pool may be depleted some and the club has some really good young defenders on the roster. So with that the Islanders go with depth down the middle and select a player from one of the top junior programs in Canada.

29. Anaheim Ducks - Jakob Pelletier
The Ducks are up with their 2nd pick of the round after trading one. It’s rumoured that GM Roy Larsson interview every player that attended the HFNHL combine. During the process it’s been said that one player asked that he not be selected by the Ducks because he would likely be traded before he made it to the stage to put on the jersey.

30. Carolina Hurricanes - Brett Leason
GM Solly stays in his back yard taking the western league stand out. Leason is in his 3rd go around but he is coming of a monster season where he was a standout in the WHL and played for team Canada at the WJC. This late in the first Leason is a solid pick up as he’s as close as your going to get to a sure thing.

31. Florida Panthers - Ryan Johnson
This will be GM Ottens 3rd time to the podium this draft, after already picking up Boldy and Rees the Panthers might be looking at a defender. Robertson, Johnson Vlasic, Thomson and Honka will all get consideration. Johnson is a smooth skating defender that can move the puck and plays a simple game. The Panthers have been very successful with players like this in the past.

Last edited:

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
83019FF4-032A-46AD-806A-529EBF6AB13B.jpeg
More 4 to 15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad