HFNHL 2019 Mock Draft V2.0

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
1: Redwings - Jack Hughes
We remain unchanged here from our first mock. Kakko has certainly closed the gap between him and Hughes but you can’t pass on a potential franchise center can you?

2: Blue Jackets - Kaapo Kakko
The Jackets waste no time getting to the podium to select Kaapo Kakko. The big goal scoring winger will be the Jackets best player in the not to distant future. He could end up being the best player to come out of this draft.

3: Flyers via Flames - Bowen Byram
The top 3 remain intact from my previous mock. Byram is the top defender in this draft, with the upside to be a true number one in HFNHL. The Flyers are loaded on the back end with young prospects, which bodes well for their future. Look at the two teams in the finals this year both had elite defenders.

4: Stars - Alex Turcotte
This is where things get interesting, there are a number of players that could go in any order from here to about 11 or 12. Turcotte suffered some injuries this year but when healthy he really produced. Will look really good with Tkachuk in a year or two.

5: Golden Knights - Vasili Podkolzin
The Knights are probably hoping for Byram to fall to them, but that is not going to happen. Vegas is in no rush and are content with going through the process of building and developing. So they go with the Russian winger who doesn’t turn 18 until after the draft.

6: Hurricanes - Dylan Cozens
The Hurricanes have a lot of young talent down the middle of the ice and Cozens only adds to that. Cozens has also played the wing so his versatility will allow the Canes to move him wherever he’s needed.

7: Coyotes - Peyton Krebs
The Coyotes typically like big players and Kirby Dach is still on the board. I think though this time around the Coyotes go with Krebs who despite playing for a terrible junior club has managed to produce some very good numbers. While with team Canada at the U18’s he was lights out.

8: Panthers - Trevor Zegras
Some scouts say that Zegras is just as skilled as Hughes. While I believe that Zegras is super skilled. If he were actually as skilled as Hughes he’d likely be in consideration for the top pick, no? He’s headed to Boston University next year a program that is rebuilding so he should get plenty of ice time.

9: Oilers - Kirby Dach
The Oilers are rebuilding and every winner is built around a big skilled center is it not? Kirby Dach fits that profile and it’s something the Oilers really lack currently.

10: Devils - Cole Caufield
This pick will be strongly debated by the scouting staff for the Devils, Caufield or Boldy? To be honest if it was my pick I’m probably flipping a coin. For now I say the Devils go with Caufield the kid just scores goals and the team that scores the most wins.

11: Flyers - Matthew Boldy
On draft day Boldy could go as high as 5th or 6th, but right now I have landing with Philly at the 11th spot. He’s a winger that just does everything really well similar to Farabee from last years draft except with more grit.

12: Canadiens - Alex Newhook
It’s a big offseason for the Habs, they have some decisions to make with free agents and it could be time to start a rebuild in Montreal. The prospect pool needs an injection of high end talent and Newhook might have the highest upside left in the draft.

13: Flyers via Sabres - Moritz Seider
Some might view this as a reach, while others think Seider has really climbed up draft boards. The Flyers have a loaded prospect pool with no real weaknesses, so with their 3rd pick in the draft already they go with a project that could end up being a steal.

14: Penguins via Predators - Philip Broberg
In most peoples minds Broberg is the number 2 defender available in the draft. He checks all the boxes that teams look for in a defender, He can skate, handle the puck, shoot, and he has size.

15: Kings - Raphael Lavoie
He’s a big guy that can play down the middle or on the wing. His numbers this year have solid and his performance in the playoffs lead me to believe that perhaps Lavoie is slightly under rated.

16: Penguins - Ryan Suzuki
His brother has proven to be a very good prospect and the Penguins will take a shot on the younger brother with their 2nd pick of the round. They still have one more pick coming up in the first round so they will really restock their system.

17: Devils via Jets - Cam York
The Devils are shocked that York is still on the board here as many in this organization feel he’s the clear cut 2nd best defender in the draft. They waste no time getting up to the podium to make this pick.

18: Canucks - Spencer Knight
How much longer will Carey Price be around? The time is now for the Canucks to find their future goaltender. Teams tend to shy away from goalies in the first round but some feel he’s comparable to the man he’ll eventually be replacing.

19: Lightning - Victor Soderstrom
The lightning go with Soderstrom who is in that group of 2nd tier defenders behind Byram. He can skate and move the puck two of the biggest things teams look for in defensemen these days. He’s also played most of the season against men in SHL where he’s played plenty of minutes.

20: Ducks via Rangers - Arthur Kaliyev
The system in Anaheim is pretty run down, but that’s to be expected when you’ve worked to acquire the best player in the game. Now it’s time to try and build things back up. It starts with Kaliyev who has shown to be a very good goal scorer. Will it translate to the pro game?

21: Maple Leafs - Thomas Harley
The Leafs go with Thomas Harley here the kid can really skate and play offence, he’s going to have to work on the defensive side of the game to reach the next level. At this point in the draft he’s well worth the gamble and could really reward the Leafs down the road.

22: Bruins - Brett Leason
The Bruins go with Leason here a player that shouldn’t provide any surprises being an over ager that’s been passed over in two drafts now. He really stepped up his game this year in a big way. Should reach Boston fairly quickly as a 3rd line type that can provide some goals.

23: Penguins via Capitals - Bobby Brink
We had the Penguins selecting Brink in our last mock draft with one of their higher picks. This time around they gamble that he’ll still be on the board and get lucky. He’s a talented goal scorer that just needs some time to develop.

24: Golden Knights via Blues - Ville Heinola
The Golden Knights select the last remaining defender from the second their of defensemen available in this years draft. He’s a little undersized, but again it’s a player that can skate and move the puck. He also played good minutes in the top league in Finland against men.

25: Panthers via Ducks - Philip Tomasino
The Panthers management is excited to have Tomasino land in their laps here. I don’t think they are expecting him to last this long and come draft day might actually try to move up to make sure they get him.

26: Blackhawks - Nicholas Robertson
His brother is already one of the Blackhawks top prospects, so why not unite the two brothers. Nicholas is smaller then his brother but has a none stop motor and is always working to improve his game.

27: Predators via Avalanche - Nils Hoglander
Perhaps it’s a bit of a slide for Hoglander who many have ranked in the late teens. The Predators will be happy to get this spark plug into their organization with hopes he can develop into a top 6 forward.

28: Islanders - Samuel Poulin
The Islanders add the big winger with NHL bloodlines to their organization. He’s a player that with a little bit of work on his skating would have probably been rated much higher. He should have a solid career ahead of him.

29: Wild - Jakob Pelletier
Back to back players from the QMJHL, the management from the Wild have never been afraid to select a player from Quebec. This one has plenty of skill and plenty of grit for a small guy. Some scouts say he plays similar to Brad Marchand.

30: Hurricanes via Senators - Connor McMichael
It seems every year the London Knights develop a first round pick. This year may not be any different and who can argue? Lets face it McMichael is playing junior hockey for the organization that might be the best at developing pro level talent.

31: Panthers via Sharks - Vladislav Kolyachonok
It was an interesting year for the young defender from Belarus. He started the year in London was put on waivers landed in Flint and led Belarus to the quarter finals at the WJC when many expected them to be relegated.

Brent Burns Beard