• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who is number 21?

#1 - Ryan Poehling (51.4% of the votes)
#2 - Cole Caufield (60.25% of the votes)
#3 - Nick Suzuki (63.1% of the votes)
#4 - Josh Brook (63.4% of the votes)
#5 - Alexander Romanov (84.5% of the votes)
#6 - Cayden Primeau (80.5% of the votes)
#7 - Jesse Ylonen (62.1% of the votes)
#8 - Jayden Struble (43.5% of the votes)
#9 - Cale Fleury (56% of the votes)
#10 - Jordan Harris (50.9% of the votes)
#11 - Joni Ikonen (36.1% of the votes)
#12 - Mattias Norlinder (60.3% of the votes)
#13 - Jake Evans (32% of the votes)
#14 - Joel Teasdale (33.6% of the votes)
#15 - Jacob Olofsson (29.2% of the votes)
#16 - Cam Hillis (33.6% of the votes)
#17 - Rhett Pitlick (22.4% of the votes)
#18 - Cole Fonstad (52.2% of the votes)
#19 - Gianni Fairbrother (36% of the votes)
#20- Allen McShane (48.2% of the votes)

Added Houde.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm guessing Leskinen gets this one, Stapley should up next up, he was very good to start the season as he's got good offensive skills especially as a playmaker.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
People don't like Vejdemo?

I don't like his ceiling very much. I think some of the younger prospects may have a ceiling, like Stapley, Gorniak, and perhaps McNiven. He was 23 for half the season last year. I would have hoped he could get 0.5 points a game in Laval. But hopefully he has a breakout year next year. He just makes my top 25.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Funny how things can change in one year and a half. According to this thread, we had one of the worst prospect pool in the league in December 2017.

It was pretty dark times from around 09 to around 2017 or so.

They have focused on more draft picks recently, and now they have their best pool since 2008ish.

It has been a quick turnaround. It wasn't that long ago that Jake Evans was very much talked about as a hopeful solution at center. Now you got several guys ahead of him.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I like Vejdemo from what I saw with the Rocket last season. Not saying he's gonna be anything special but he could be a kind of Paajarvi, speedy reliable bottom 6 winger.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I still don't know why Poehling is our best prospect. It should be Caufield.

That 3 goals game really tainted our voting.

I said before that I'd love to see the ranking for him prior to his debut game compared to after.

Hossa started his career here with 5 goals in his first 5 games, and people were losing their minds. That being said, I suspect poehling will have a longer NHL career than Hossa.

Poehling performed very well last year when the spotlight was the brightest, so that has really boosted his perception. I'm talking about his world juniors, and his debut NHL game. He killed it both times. People are thinking, how can this guy not be amazing, because he's performed so well every time they saw him? Meanwhile, if people followed his NCAA season, maybe the perception would be pulled back a tad.

So, the fact that's he's gotten bigger, stronger, and killed it at the spotlight events are all factors that had him jump to #1 this year.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I still don't know why Poehling is our best prospect. It should be Caufield.

That 3 goals game really tainted our voting.
Nah I voted Poehling just to give him the support he deserves when otherwise he never gets, at least before this offseason...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I said before that I'd love to see the ranking for him prior to his debut game compared to after.

Hossa started his career here with 5 goals in his first 5 games, and people were losing their minds. That being said, I suspect poehling will have a longer NHL career than Hossa.

Poehling performed very well last year when the spotlight was the brightest, so that has really boosted his perception. I'm talking about his world juniors, and his debut NHL game. He killed it both times. People are thinking, how can this guy not be amazing, because he's performed so well every time they saw him? Meanwhile, if people followed his NCAA season, maybe the perception would be pulled back a tad.

So, the fact that's he's gotten bigger, stronger, and killed it at the spotlight events are all factors that had him jump to #1 this year.

I understand what you are saying but I think people are putting too much into stats in both his NCAA career and the WJC/NHL showings.

Poehling is not going to be a prolific scorer like the small sample sizes might elude to but his NCAA stats are also misleading. He played with linemates who have zero NHL potential and he was expected to be a shutdown center. He even mentions the fact that he doesn't care about stats and only cares about winning and playing the game the right way. If he wanted to play with an offensive bias he would have scored alot more but would have potentially caused the same if not more damage against his team. This is a pro mindset and a pro approach to the game. Much like Jonathan Toews could put up much bigger numbers he understands what approach results in the greatest positive goal differential.

Poehling knows how to play with good players and he has a good chance of being the best overall forward out of our prospects. This poll was not made to identify who will score the most. The purpose is to rank the players based on their potential impact as an NHLer, which includes being impactful in all 3 zones. It is my opinion that Poehling is the player who currently best exemplifies these abilities in our entire prospect pool. It is almost comical to picture Poehling in the CHL last season, as he would have put up huge numbers and would be the run away #1 prospect in this poll.

He is big, strong, fast, intelligent, fiercely competitive and skilled. It is equally as silly for people to claim that he is a 30-40 point player as it is to claim that he will be an 80+ point player. The truth resides somewhere closer to the center of those polarized projections and will be greatly influenced by the role that he is asked to carry out. I think he will be an outstanding two way center who will also be a pp weapon around the crease and in front of the net. He completely dispelled the myth that he can't shoot by ripping two wristers past Andersen and also buried a wicked wrist shot to tie the Sweden game in the WJC. He is a smart kid and will use this weapon alot more in the pro game than he did in the NCAA kind of like the way Pacioretty adapted from being a passer to a shooter.

Just to be clear, I am in no way claiming that Poehling is some kind of uber prospect but that he is currently has the best overall projection amongst our kids. Both Caufield and Suzuki still have alot to prove with their physical limitations in the pro game before usurping Poehling as our best forward prospect.

Reactions: JianYang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad