HFDevils *CURRENT* Player Rankings Special Edition - Nikita Gusev

Where should Nikita Gusev be inserted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I am surprised the most common answer is ahead of Severson, who is rated here as a boarderline 1st pair defender. As wing is the less valuable position, Gusev must be at least an average first line winger. I wouldn't assign him that moniker without a single NHL game. 7th would be the highest I could see him reasonably be placed. Everything above is pure hype. I don't know what people thought, who voted him first. :huh:
I voted 11th. I wouldn't place him above Vatanen and Bratt in anyway and Coleman was for long stretches the most consistent forward last season.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I am surprised the most common answer is ahead of Severson, who is rated here as a boarderline 1st pair defender. As wing is the less valuable position, Gusev must be at least an average first line winger. I wouldn't assign him that moniker without a single NHL game. 7th would be highest I could see him reasonably be placed. Everything above is pure hype. I don't know what people, who voted him first.
I think he's been hyped WAY too much.

There's a REASON Vegas chose him as their expendable cap dump, only 1 other team was in the bidding for him, and we only gave up a 2nd and a 3rd to get him.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

There's a REASON Vegas chose him as their expendable cap dump, only 1 other team was in the bidding for him, and we only gave up a 2nd and a 3rd to get him.

Yes, because there is some risk of him completely busting. GMGM said Vegas didn't want to disrupt the team to accommodate his salary. Columbus is already missing a bunch of draft picks over the next couple of years, trading away even more would have been colossally stupid, and every other team with a two year compete window was capped out.

I bet GMGM really wishes he had played Gusev in the playoffs, so he could see what he'd actually bring. If Gusev was near a ppg, or at least looked very effective, I bet he would have moved/bought contracts to accommodate him.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
3rd and 9th actually means tied for second and 8th, as there are ties for this spot already and you can't place him between tied players.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

or because not many teams have both the picks/the cap space to make such a trade? Vegas couldn't get rid of other guys like Reaves?

There's a reason why the Devils are comfortable giving out 4.5 million (with a 4 million signing bonus already paid out) on top of a 2nd/3rd round pick to a guy who has never played in the NHL before. There's a reason why Tom Fitzgerald said they feel they upgraded the top 6 for the Devils. And with that I don't think that's indicative of a guy who shouldn't be considered near the top 5 of Devils players. Of course he can struggle and he might not succeed but I don't think people are 'drunk' with expecting him to be a top 5 player on the Devils next season.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
or because not many teams have both the picks/the cap space to make such a trade? Vegas couldn't get rid of other guys like Reaves?

There's a reason why the Devils are comfortable giving out 4.5 million (with a 4 million signing bonus already paid out) on top of a 2nd/3rd round pick to a guy who has never played in the NHL before. There's a reason why Tom Fitzgerald said they feel they upgraded the top 6 for the Devils. And with that I don't think that's indicative of a guy who shouldn't be considered near the top 5 of Devils players. Of course he can struggle and he might not succeed but I don't think people are 'drunk' with expecting him to be a top 5 player on the Devils next season.

Also, a 2nd and 3d round pick is actually a fairly substantial price to pay for a guy that you only get for 2 years (and have to pay $9 million) before UFA. Fitzgerald obviously thinks he will be more than our 6th or 7th best player.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And with that I don't think that's indicative of a guy who shouldn't be considered near the top 5 of Devils players. Of course he can struggle and he might not succeed but I don't think people are 'drunk' with expecting him to be a top 5 player on the Devils next season.
Top 5 forwards yes, but I'm not so sure about top 5 players. Hopefully he's as good as everyone's expecting, but comparisons to Panarin in the media has set expectations a bit high in my book.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Top 5 forwards yes, but I'm not so sure about top 5 players. Hopefully he's as good as everyone's expecting, but comparisons to Panarin in the media has set expectations a bit high in my book.
If Gusev is as good as Panarin, when he entered the league, the NJD are extremly lucky. Comparing him to current Panarin is baseless. Panarin was younger entering the NHL and greatly improved. It's time to temper the expectation for Gusev.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If Gusev is as good as Panarin, when he entered the league, the NJD are extremly lucky. Comparing him to current Panarin is baseless. Panarin was younger entering the NHL and greatly improved. It's time to temper the expectation for Gusev.

Dadonov was 28 when stepped on the ice for Florida and scored 65 points. I think 60-80 points is a reasonable expectation, with the hope that he scores even more than that.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Why do we say he’s not a great skater? Not challenging the conclusion but I am not sure in what respects he may be lacking.
It's what McPhee said. I think, from what I've read, he's above average, perhaps significantly, but not exceptional.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’m excited and optimistic about Gusev’ future outlook. With that said, I’m borderline stunned that he’s being ranked any higher than 8 (maybe 7) in this poll when he hasn’t played a single NHL game yet. I ranked him at 8 and thought I was being bullish on him. Haha...looks like many of my fellow Devils fans are even more sold on the player at this point than I am- or is it the case of the proverbial shiny new toy? It kind of feels like some are voting on Gusev’ ceiling (which of course is quite significant and still unknown) than certainly his floor or somewhere in the middle. I’m still very high on Gusev as I said but just personally hard for me to place him any higher (YET). Serious question though- are you gents voting him that high based on his significant ceiling or somewhere in between his floor and ceiling? If he doesn’t reach that potential, is he better than Severson or a guy like Coleman who has scored 20 goals and has terrific defensive prowess? I don’t think so. Just trying to understand the thought process...of course we can agree to disagree!

EDIT- Right now 53 have Gusev ranked 7 or better and 25 have him 8 or less. 68% to 32%...so looks like I’m in the minority opinion. I absolutely WANT to be “wrong” about his placement because that would be fantastic for our Devils and mean that he’s an absolute stud at the NHL level (and I realize there’s a chance he COULD be). :)

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I’m excited and optimistic about Gusev’ future outlook. With that said, I’m borderline stunned that he’s being ranked any higher than 8 (maybe 7) in this poll when he hasn’t played a single NHL game yet. I ranked him at 8 and thought I was being bullish on him. Haha...looks like many of my fellow Devils fans are even more sold on the player at this point than I am- or is it the case of the proverbial shiny new toy? It kind of feels like some are voting on Gusev’ ceiling (which of course is quite significant and still unknown) than certainly his floor or somewhere in the middle. I’m still very high on Gusev as I said but just personally hard for me to place him any higher (YET). Serious question though- are you gents voting him that high based on his significant ceiling or somewhere in between his floor and ceiling? If he doesn’t reach that potential, is he better than Severson or a guy like Coleman who has scored 20 goals and has terrific defensive prowess? I don’t think so. Just trying to understand the thought process...of course we can agree to disagree!

I voted 4th based on my best guess. It is not meant to be a "safe estimate" or a "ceiling". Just my best estimate of where he is based on what I've read, and the stats I've seen comparing him to players in similar situations. If I based it on what I thought his ceiling was he'd be #1.

EDIT- Right now 53 have Gusev ranked 7 or better and 25 have him 8 or less. 68% to 32%...so looks like I’m in the minority opinion. I absolutely WANT to be “wrong” about his placement because that would be fantastic for our Devils and mean that he’s an absolute stud at the NHL level (and I realize there’s a chance he COULD be). :)

The bottom line is that there's just a lot of uncertainty. I think he'll score around 70, but I wouldn't be that surprised with anything between 50 and 100 points.

Reactions: longislanddevil

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If you take Hall's and Gusev's ceiling, you rate Gusev higher than Hall. Hall was the MVP of the NHL not KHL. I am speechless.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Why do we say he’s not a great skater? Not challenging the conclusion but I am not sure in what respects he may be lacking.

It’s a criticism I’ve seen repeated by more than one evaluator who purported to be legit who has actually watched him as opposed to those of us here. I know STI said he wasn’t explosive in his skating which for a smaller player would be a good talent to have. Now is it just that he takes his time to slow the game down versus skating slowly at peak speed? I’m not sure. Hard to take much from the video highlights. I’m not going out on a limb and suggesting he will or won’t accomplish anything specific. I just see him as the sort of player Butcher is. He’s effective and can create offense without being explosive or particularly fast. That’s a pretty good player even if not flashy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes, because there is some risk of him completely busting. GMGM said Vegas didn't want to disrupt the team to accommodate his salary. Columbus is already missing a bunch of draft picks over the next couple of years, trading away even more would have been colossally stupid, and every other team with a two year compete window was capped out.

I bet GMGM really wishes he had played Gusev in the playoffs, so he could see what he'd actually bring. If Gusev was near a ppg, or at least looked very effective, I bet he would have moved/bought contracts to accommodate him.
what would have been the contractual ramifications of playing him in last years playoffs?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It’s a criticism I’ve seen repeated by more than one evaluator who purported to be legit who has actually watched him as opposed to those of us here. I know STI said he wasn’t explosive in his skating which for a smaller player would be a good talent to have. Now is it just that he takes his time to slow the game down versus skating slowly at peak speed? I’m not sure. Hard to take much from the video highlights. I’m not going out on a limb and suggesting he will or won’t accomplish anything specific. I just see him as the sort of player Butcher is. He’s effective and can create offense without being explosive or particularly fast. That’s a pretty good player even if not flashy.
He's going to be a better skater then Butcher, but I can see your point.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He's going to be a better skater then Butcher, but I can see your point.

If he can become the sixth best forward on the team it will be a success for NJ. If he manages to play as one of the top three or four forwards on the team so much the better. As long as he can play any top six role effectively at even strength he will be worth the contract and the draft picks and then some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->