OT: HFCanucks - What is the best hockey movie?

What is the best hockey movie ever made?

• Total voters

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
In your opinion, what is the best hockey movie ever made?

I think the most well made movie is probably Miracle. Although for entertainment value, it’s a tough competition for me between Goon, The Mighty Ducks and Mystery, Alaska.

My vote might depend on the day of the week, but I’m going to go with the Mighty Ducks. Enjoyed it a ton as a kid, and have enjoyed watching it again with my own kids, even if it is pretty ham fisted at times.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Excellent poll question! I voted for Miracle. Excellent movie. Mighty Ducks would have been my runner up. Slapshot is probably my favourite hockey movie but I'm not sure I want my kids watching it considering some of the content!

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How could any hockey movie compare to “Slapshot”? Unless, of course, people are offended by the swearing, fighting, and insulting childish behaviours stereotyped as the “hockey community.”

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
How could any hockey movie compare to “Slapshot”? Unless, of course, people are offended by the swearing, fighting, and insulting childish behaviours stereotyped as the “hockey community.”

I don’t find the movie offensive. Plus, I would say Goon is probably right alongside it in terms of explicit content, if not worse.

I think for its time, Slapshot certainly pushes the boundaries pretty hard.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t find the movie offensive. Plus, I would say Goon is probably right alongside it in terms of explicit content, if not worse.

I think for its time, Slapshot certainly pushes the boundaries pretty hard.
I love Slapshot, and voted for it. Clearly it’s the best hockey movie. Only suggesting why posters would not vote for it.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Slapshot got my vote, both as an entertaining movie and a trail-blazer. Saw it at a movie theatre when it first came out. This was after the Broadstreet Bullies had won their 2 Cups, and there was some concern among hockey purists about where the game was headed.

It was a good raunchy satire for its time, and I can still get laughs watching it today.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

this movie gave me so many feels. it‘s basically about a boy, only about a gay canadian hockey player instead of hugh grant.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Slapshot without a doubt.

I did just recently see a really good, rather unknown, 1970’s (Irish) mob movie called The Friends of Eddie Coyle, starring Robert Mitchum... and onwards the end of the film there is an extended scene that takes place at a Bruins - Blackhawks game. Some pretty cool footage of Orr, amongst others. Not sure if they took actual game highlights or staged the play, but pretty neat either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->