Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Lol that’s just wrong;

Markstroms best stats are 2.75 gaa and .918 sv% the last 2 years.
Every single one of Luis years here he had a better goals against and 4 seasons with a better save percentage
Like markstroms career year as a canuck is like lui goa 4th/5th best year as a canuck

you clearly don’t remeber how good luongo was or are blinded by Markstroms play being more recent.

Editors to note that markstroms numbers were based on the last 2 years as per the original post

Fair enough. I was just going with my gut as I clearly stated. Keep in mind that Luongo had a much better defense in front of him as well and so that will also be reflected in his stats. Goal scoring during the Gillis era was also significantly lower than it is now. The game was played differently. Although it’s yet to be determined, Markström doesn’t give me the impression that he’ll suffer from playoff yips on semi-regular occasions.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Fair enough. I was just going with my gut as I clearly stated. Keep in mind that Luongo had a much better defense in front of him as well and so that will also be reflected in his stats. Goal scoring during the Gillis era was also significantly lower than it is now. The game was played differently. Although it’s yet to be determined, Markström doesn’t give me the impression that he’ll suffer from playoff yips on semi-regular occasions.

I don’t have the numbers regarding the goal scoring being significantly different to argue that but watching luongo and markstrom play id clearly rather have luongo and he gave that team so much faith to play the style they wanted; let’s not forget quite often those teams would not show up until the second half of the second or early third and win games based on being so much better but also cause luongo kept them in the game.

but like I said it’s probably more to do with markstroms play being fresher in your mind.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don’t have the numbers regarding the goal scoring being significantly different to argue that but watching luongo and markstrom play id clearly rather have luongo and he gave that team so much faith to play the style they wanted; let’s not forget quite often those teams would not show up until the second half of the second or early third and win games based on being so much better but also cause luongo kept them in the game.

but like I said it’s probably more to do with markstroms play being fresher in your mind.

It’s not so much Markstrom’s play being fresher in my mind, than it is with a number of questionable playoff performances that Luongo had (although I do recognize that Lou had some tremendous playoff games as well). Now granted, we don’t know how Markstrom would be in the playoffs, but my gut says that he’d be just as beastly.

Pre 2009 playoffs, I felt that Luongo was one of the best goalies on the planet and would eventually be in the Hasek/Brodeur/Roy category upon retiring. Just seems to me like that playoff loss to Chicago in 09’ really messed with his head, and he was never quite the same ever since (even though he was still a very very good goalie). I think Lou ended up being the modern day version of Curtis Joseph.

Luongo destroys Kirk McLean in every single way stats wise, but who would you rather have had going into playoff battle? The 2011 Luongo or the 1994 Kirk McLean?

Meh. Luongo has all the stats, but I think I’d go with Markstrom based on the last two years (which in my opinion, is a large enough sample size).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It’s not so much Markstrom’s play being fresher in my mind, than it is with a number of questionable playoff performances that Luongo had (although I do recognize that Lou had some tremendous playoff games as well). Now granted, we don’t know how Markstrom would be in the playoffs, but my gut says that he’d be just as beastly.

Pre 2009 playoffs, I felt that Luongo was one of the best goalies on the planet and would eventually be in the Hasek/Brodeur/Roy category upon retiring. Just seems to me like that playoff loss to Chicago in 09’ really messed with his head, and he was never quite the same ever since (even though he was still a very very good goalie). I think Lou ended up being the modern day version of Curtis Joseph.

Luongo destroys Kirk McLean in every single way stats wise, but who would you rather have had going into playoff battle? The 2011 Luongo or the 1994 Kirk McLean?

Meh. Luongo has all the stats, but I think I’d go with Markstrom based on the last two years (which in my opinion, is a large enough sample size).

I will concede however that if Luongo had been the same goalie throughout his career as he was in 2006-2007 (amazing season, carried the team, almost singlehandedly got us through against Dallas), then yes, Luongo would easily get my vote.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
On Cloutier, I do think it's telling that after he went down with an injury in the fall of 2005, we rolled with Alex Auld — who is nobody's idea of a stellar netminder — for an entire season and he gave us basically the same results. He might've been a bit worse,* but he still won 33 games and the gap wasn't nearly as large as you'd like to see if Cloutier were actually an elite goalie.

---

* The 2005-06 team was a little worse defensively than the 2003-04 team, true, and some of that might have been because of the downgrade from Cloutier to Auld, but there were a bunch of additional factors there, too: key injuries on the blue line, particularly Salo and Jovo; the loss of quality depth on the backend with Sopel/Malik gone; plus the fact that the Bertuzzi/Naslund line really lost a step that year and were pretty tragic defensively.

Absolutely.

Cloutier gets hurt, and we replace him with a journeyman backup ... and that guy immediately does a Cloutier and wins 33 games with a mediocre save %. Behind a worse team.

Cloutier was a guy on a level with the Robert Esches and John Graemes of the world, who was given an opportunity he didn't deserve.

Luongo deserves the nomination based on stats and longevity (consistently solid numbers), but my gut tells me that it’s Markstrom...as of right hut now. Markstrom, this year and last year, was better than peak Roberto Luongo. Maybe Luongo of 2006-2007 is comparable (in terms of carrying the team).

I don't think this is as far out there as most people think, but I think you're coming from the wrong angle. It isn't that Luongo is that overrated, it's that Markstrom's last two seasons have been unreal. Unfortunately, the fact that this is such a terribly organized defensive team takes the edge of his numbers, but when you take a deeper dive into the advanced goaltending stats, he's been incredible. And you can see that watching the games.

But yes, the fact that Luongo was here for 8 years as a starter dwarfs Markstrom's 3 years, even if you think Markstrom's last two years have been on par with prime Luongo.

For the record, my opinion is that 06-07 Luongo was the greatest goaltending season in Canuck history (and quite frankly one of the top-5 non-Hasek seasons of the post-1967 era) but the rest of his time here was pretty consistent with what we've seen from Markstrom the last 2 years.

Also, is anyone going to start the #2 poll? This one is a bit settled, haha.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Absolutely.

Cloutier gets hurt, and we replace him with a journeyman backup ... and that guy immediately does a Cloutier and wins 33 games with a mediocre save %. Behind a worse team.

Cloutier was a guy on a level with the Robert Esches and John Graemes of the world, who was given an opportunity he didn't deserve.

I don't think this is as far out there as most people think, but I think you're coming from the wrong angle. It isn't that Luongo is that overrated, it's that Markstrom's last two seasons have been unreal. Unfortunately, the fact that this is such a terribly organized defensive team takes the edge of his numbers, but when you take a deeper dive into the advanced goaltending stats, he's been incredible. And you can see that watching the games.

But yes, the fact that Luongo was here for 8 years as a starter dwarfs Markstrom's 3 years, even if you think Markstrom's last two years have been on par with prime Luongo.

For the record, my opinion is that 06-07 Luongo was the greatest goaltending season in Canuck history (and quite frankly one of the top-5 non-Hasek seasons of the post-1967 era) but the rest of his time here was pretty consistent with what we've seen from Markstrom the last 2 years.

Also, is anyone going to start the #2 poll? This one is a bit settled, haha.

I’m definitely with you on Luongo 06/07. I just think that the 09’ playoff loss against Chicago had some weird mental effect on him (despite what the stats might say). If I’m going into the playoffs, I’m just not sure that I want the post 2009 Luongo going into battle with me. On one night, he can be Patrick Roy (is game 5 2011 finals). On another night, he can be Rosie O’Donnell (game 6 against Boston). I just wasn’t a fan of Luongo’s inconsistency when it mattered most.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->