Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post who)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The all-time Canucks poll thread gave me the idea to do a Canucks prospect-esque rankings of every position.

Rankings should be on who was the best during their time with the Canucks. How long they were with the Canucks doesn't matter unless it is a tie-breaker between goalies.

I will do the top 5. If you were expecting to choose who was better between Jason Labarbera and Richard Bachman; prepare to be disappointed.

Poll will be up for two days before I do #2

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
This shouldn’t be close. I guess the other options will be Ryan Miller, Eddie Lack and Dan Cloutier? Maybe Garrett?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Luongo without a doubt. The best goalie to ever wear a Canucks jersey and likely will be for a very long time. He's one of the best goalies to ever play in the NHL.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why is Schneider on the list? Wouldn’t Dan Cloutier be a better choice? Not that he’s Luongo or McLean, but he was the starter on some very good teams, and put up lots of wins. Schneider wasn’t even the starter, was he?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Schneider was never a consistent starter. Lack was more of a starter than Schneider. Schneider was, obviously, one of the best goalies in Canucks history but not as a Canuck.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Why is Schneider on the list? Wouldn’t Dan Cloutier be a better choice? Not that he’s Luongo or McLean, but he was the starter on some very good teams, and put up lots of wins. Schneider wasn’t even the starter, was he?

The rankings was for best goalie not necessarily best starter. Schneider played like an elite goalie while he was here even if it was mostly in a 1B role. He was even able to take the starter's job from Luongo his last year here.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The rankings was for best goalie not necessarily best starter. Schneider played like an elite goalie while he was here even if it was mostly in a 1B role. He was even able to take the starter's job from Luongo his last year here.
Didn’t Schneider play well only when he had the Luongo safety net, or when he had no real pressure for his team to win though? Here he always had Lou’s presence. In Jersey their team was bad, so he had no pressure to win. Once they got better, and the pressure mounted, Schneider did terrible.
No to Schneider on any level for me. Rather have Cloutier on my list.
Lou
Kirk
King
Clouts
That’s my top four.
I’d have Miller ahead of Schneider too.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Didn’t Schneider play well only when he had the Luongo safety net, or when he had no real pressure for his team to win though? Here he always had Lou’s presence. In Jersey their team was bad, so he had no pressure to win. Once they got better, and the pressure mounted, Schneider did terrible.
Lou
Kirk
King
Clouts
That’s my top four.

Once New Jersey got better, Schneider was over 30 with hip and groin injuries. Even so, in the playoffs against Tampa that year he had a 1.50 gaa and a .950 save percentage. His stats in the playoffs were good in Vancouver too other than the San Jose series. He never should of played the last two games in that series as he was coming back from an injury, and Luongo played very well the first two games in front of a team that didn't show up.

Reactions: vanuck

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lou
Kirk
King
Clouts
That’s my top four.

by now marky’s at least gotta be in the mix for #4/5, no?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Of course! My bad to miss Marky. Would he be three or four? If we had to win a game I’d go Lou, Kirk, and then Marky. King was good, but (you’re right) Marky is very good. If Marky stays healthy, and the season continues, does he get the Vesina?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I have Markstrom at #3, although I suspect most people will still have Brodeur there.

There isn’t really much of an argument to have him lower than #4.

I don’t know if I have Cloutier in my top 10. The guy sucked and was primarily a liability here.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have Markstrom at #3, although I suspect most people will still have Brodeur there.

There isn’t really much of an argument to have him lower than #4.

I don’t know if I have Cloutier in my top 10. The guy sucked and was primarily a liability here.
Clouts had three great years in a row for us. 30 plus wins in each, and was really good. He’s for certain top five, and I have him better than Schneider - as a Canuck.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Clouts had three great years in a row for us. 30 plus wins in each, and was really good. He’s for certain top five, and I have him better than Schneider - as a Canuck.

Cloutier was an OK regular season goalie for us. A Roman Cechmanek type, if you will. His biggest problem was his complete mental meltdowns in the playoffs that cost his team dearly. If a bad goal went against him, he just couldn’t get his groove again, and made it virtually impossible for the Canucks to compete. In 2002, he was playing really well up until the Lidstrom long bomb - but this his confidence was shot. Obviously the Wings were a stacked team, but a lot of the goals they scored were flimsy.

Worse was his collapse against Minnesota. Up and down the roster, the Canucks were better than them all over the ice and had a 3-1 series lead. Cloutier proceeded to get lit up for bad goal after bad goal after bad goal by everyone in the Wild’s lineup. We even had a 2-0 lead heading into the 3rd period of Game 7, and he gave up more lousy goals. The game winner by Hendrickson was a particularly feeble shot from just inside the blueline.

In 2004, he got injured before he could even melt down.

Anyway - it sucks that one of the best teams in Canucks history was undone by his inability to play when it mattered the most. Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi, the Twins, Linden, Cooke, Ohlund, Jovanovski, Salo...that’s a team that could really have made some noise, and I think had a good chance against Anaheim in 2003.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Cloutier was an OK regular season goalie for us. A Roman Cechmanek type, if you will. His biggest problem was his complete mental meltdowns in the playoffs that cost his team dearly. If a bad goal went against him, he just couldn’t get his groove again, and made it virtually impossible for the Canucks to compete. In 2002, he was playing really well up until the Lidstrom long bomb - but this his confidence was shot. Obviously the Wings were a stacked team, but a lot of the goals they scored were flimsy.

Worse was his collapse against Minnesota. Up and down the roster, the Canucks were better than them all over the ice and had a 3-1 series lead. Cloutier proceeded to get lit up for bad goal after bad goal after bad goal by everyone in the Wild’s lineup. We even had a 2-0 lead heading into the 3rd period of Game 7, and he gave up more lousy goals. The game winner by Hendrickson was a particularly feeble shot from just inside the blueline.

In 2004, he got injured before he could even melt down.

Anyway - it sucks that one of the best teams in Canucks history was undone by his inability to play when it mattered the most. Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi, the Twins, Linden, Cooke, Ohlund, Jovanovski, Salo...that’s a team that could really have made some noise, and I think had a good chance against Anaheim in 2003.
Imagine that team with Bobby Lou as their starter. That was our best team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad