HFBoards Top 31 NHL Defenders

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
This is a list that wreaks of east coast/Canadian bias. Otherwise there's no way Krug/Trouba would be on there above someone like Barrie. Outside the top 10 there's a lot of room for interpretation. Parayko is way too high, Morrissey above Buff? Provorov should be on there ahead of a few guys that are #2s on their team. Sure he had a rough year point wise last season but given he is the #1 on his team and in much more difficult situations he should be ahead of plenty of those guys. etc. etc.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is a list that wreaks of east coast/Canadian bias. Otherwise there's no way Krug/Trouba would be on there above someone like Barrie. Outside the top 10 there's a lot of room for interpretation. Parayko is way too high, Morrissey above Buff? Provorov should be on there ahead of a few guys that are #2s on their team. Sure he had a rough year point wise last season but given he is the #1 on his team and in much more difficult situations he should be ahead of plenty of those guys. etc. etc.

Yup, it’s Canadian bias that led people to choose 2 American defensemen on American teams over a Canadian defenseman on a Canadian team.

Reactions: NyQuil

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
notice the 'East coast' part? Also, Tyson Barrie hasn't played a regular-season game for Toronto yet so any assessment of him would be from his time in Colorado. Thanks for the reply though.

Right, and so how does that apply to Trouba? I guess you meant guys who play for Canadian teams or on the East.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I know, most of this board would, that's why he got voted as a top 31 NHL defender.

Do people think Keith is no longer a #1 D? The defencemen around him are trash and he's doing a decent job of holding it together. I would take my chances with a 35 year old Keith than Krug going into the playoffs. Krug has been in 2 finals, no ring. And we just watched his team lose to the Blues, not much offence on their d-core ironically.

Something has to be said for Hedman, Karlsson, Burns and Josi not being able to win a ring despite being on contenders for several years. Every cup champion has a defencemen they can put out every other shift in the playoffs; Doughty, Keith, and Letang. But also, Chara in 2011, Carlson and Pietrangelo recently.

The guys who get a lot of points usually don't end up winning a chip. A #1 D-man is out there for basically half the game or more in the playoffs. They have significant influence on the outcome of the game, so can Krug play 30 minutes effectively? Never seen it. Keith hasn't declined enough for me to take a 2nd-pairing defencemen over him.

Krug was probably Boston’s second best player these playoffs behind Rask?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad