78417511685.7%
#2Sidney Crosby32:pens
3.png
79356510071.8%
#3Nathan MacKinnon23:avs
3.png
8241589971.3%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank hyperlinks direct to the corresponding voting thread.
Player hyperlinks direct to the corresponding player's hockey-reference.com page.

Suggested Additions:
Mathew Barzal (1)
Elias Pettersson (1)

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Unpopular but I think Bergeron and Barkov are getting into overrated territory while Malkin is criminally underrated as usual

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
MacKinnon getting massively over rated on here. Looking at the last 2 seasons, the number show how much MacK's numbers nosedive when he is not playing with Rantanen. Before he arrived, Mack was seen as a disappointment on here and by a lot of fans.

He's fed pretty heavy OZ starts and spends over 4 min a game on average on the PP. There aren't a lot of stars in the league who get the easy minutes he does with the talent on his line that he does.

I'd take several names over him.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Next 4 are Bergy/Barkov/Malkin/Matthews I think, I have it Bergeron-Barkov-Malkin-Matthews for now. I could have Matthews at 4 if he stays healthy and puts up a big year.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
MacKinnon getting massively over rated on here. Looking at the last 2 seasons, the number show how much MacK's numbers nosedive when he is not playing with Rantanen. Before he arrived, Mack was seen as a disappointment on here and by a lot of fans.

He's fed pretty heavy OZ starts and spends over 4 min a game on average on the PP. There aren't a lot of stars in the league who get the easy minutes he does with the talent on his line that he does.

Rantanen's numbers without MacK are brutal as well to be fair, both expected goals/possession wise and for points (only 3 pts in a 169 minute sample size at 5v5 last season without MacKinnon). And MacK's ZSR is 63.55%, which really isn't that unusual for the deployment of an offensive center. Eichel, Malkin had very similar zone start ratios (62%), and that is only a bit less than Barzal's, Bergeron's and Crosby's. Around 57% of shifts start on the fly anyways, so over half the data at 5v5 of a player's on-ice impact that is being evaluated has nothing to do with the player's zone starts, unless it's to the extreme of Panarin's zone start ratio, for example (77.57%).

MacK is still one of the best transition players in the league, bar none, and creates so much individual offense, constantly creating shots and shot assists in a dynamic rate that warrants him being a top 4 center. I'd personally have Bergeron over MacK, but he's my #4 personally.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'll say Barkov and then Bergeron but not by much. The are both defensive and offensive beasts who are probably the 2 best two-way forwards in the game. They both put up huge numbers but the Bruins are no doubt a better team than the Panthers, so I'm giving the edge to Barkov, as he doesn't have Marchand or Pastrnak on his line (Huberdeau is no slouch).

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

This just in: good players make other good players better

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
MacK is still one of the best transition players in the league, bar none, and creates so much individual offense, constantly creating shots and shot assists in a dynamic rate that warrants him being a top 4 center.

This. Not to play that card, but when you watch him play, you see how dynamic he is.

As for this poll, I'm having a tough time deciding. I keep going back and forth over an established guy and someone who might break out this year.

Reactions: Spilot23

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
This just in: good players make other good players better

That's not the point of my post. Look at players like Bergeron, Barkov, and Matthews and find guys who produce just as well with way harder minutes. Then look at a guy like Brayden Point and Tavares to see how much an elite winger can influence goal scoring

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That's not the point of my post. Look at players like Bergeron, Barkov, and Matthews and find guys who produce just as well with way harder minutes. Then look at a guy like Brayden Point and Tavares to see how much an elite winger can influence goal scoring

Harder in what way? Looking only at zone starts? How about QoC? Every player has some advantages and some disadvantages, many that are largely out of their control. Weighting them is the key here, instead of simply disregarding some.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Back to back near 100 point seasons.
Fastest real-game player in the league after McDavid.

You need to watch this guy play rather than looking at his start stats and PP time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

2018:
Matthews: 1.01 PPG
MacKinnon: 1.31 PPG

Matthews: 1.07 PPG
MacKinnon: 1.21 PPG

I wasn't aware that just-as-well is a difference of .3 PPG in some cases. In that case Couturier > Matthews, because one's a selke level centre who's PPG is actually closer to Matthews' than Matthews' to MacKinnon.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
2018:
Matthews: 1.01 PPG
MacKinnon: 1.31 PPG

Matthews: 1.07 PPG
MacKinnon: 1.21 PPG

I wasn't aware that just-as-well is a difference of .3 PPG in some cases. In that case Couturier > Matthews, because one's a selke level centre who's PPG is actually closer to Matthews' than Matthews' to MacKinnon.

Now do Mack at the same age as Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->