HFBoards Team Canada 2020: 1RD

Who SHOULD be Team Canada’s first pairing right defenseman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Giordano claims the first spot on the left side commandingly. The reigning Norris trophy winner? Who’d have thunk it? Moving on to his partner now. Who should be the first pairing right defenseman?

This series of polls is an exercise to collectively put together the best roster Canada could field if they were to play an international game on New Year’s Day.

The process for filling out the team as follows:

1. Fill the forwards, moving from centre to wing to wing, with remaining centres also eligible. A guy like Giroux might be best deployed higher up in the lineup on the wing; it is up to the voters to decide.
2. Fill the defense. All defenders will be available for each side. Up to the voters to determine the importance of correct handed-ness.
3. Fill the goalies.

These polls will make a 2020 Team Canada, Team Canada B, Team USA, Team Sweden, Team Finland, Team Russia, Team Rest of World, and so on as demanded. The final rosters will then be put into a poll to determine the order of the best offenses, defenses, and goalies, and the average determined to decide the best teams. I will then compile everything into one document, which I will post in the International Forums.

Here is the pool of players I will be working with. Open to suggestions (i.e. shifting Giroux to a winger group).

C: Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, Bergeron, Tavares, Seguin, Duchene, O’Rielly, Point, Scheifele, Couturier, Giroux, Monahan, Couture, Stamkos, Johansen, Toews, Strome, Dubois, Barzal, Domi, Horvat, Nugent-Hopkins, Kadri, Schenn, Getzlaf, Athanasiou, E. Staal

LW: Marchand, Hall, Huberdeau, Benn, Skinner, Debrusk, Hoffman, Drouin, Kane, Schwartz

RW: Stone, Marner, Reinhart, Marchesseault, Mantha, Anderson, Gallagher, Bailey, Konecny, Smith, Wilson

LD: Giordano, Rielly, Chabot, Morrissey, Keith, Girard, Theodore, Murray, Nurse, Matheson, Vlasic, Brodie, Chychrun, Sanheim, Dunn, Muzzin

RD: Burns, Doughty, Spurgeon, Dumba, Letang, Pietrangelo, Pulock, Parayko, Weber, Subban, Ellis, Barrie, Ekblad, Hamilton, Montour, Makar, Savard, Severson

G: Price, Fleury, Murray, Holtby, Dubnyk, Hart, Binnington, Jones, Smith, Crawford, Blackwood

With that out of the way...who should be Canada’s first pairing right defenseman?

Stamkos - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Hall - Tavares - Marner
Scheifele - O’Rielly - Stone
Giroux

Giordano - x
x - x
x - x

x
x

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
My vote went to Doughty, still one of the absolute best despite having cemented himself into a horrible situation. Having your first pairing be your top shut-down unit as well as excellent puck-movers and shooting threats sounds pretty dandy to me.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Doughty for sure. Gio-Doughty is just the go-to reliable pair that you can match up against the best top lines.

Burns on the next pair is going to be interesting to figure out a proper partner for him considering how unique of a game Burns has. I think Morrissey may be the most reasonable fit.

Reactions: Dominance

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Burns. I'd say Doughty, but he'd be a good fit on our left side. If Doughty stays on the right, then move Petro to the left.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
My vote went to Doughty, still one of the absolute best despite having cemented himself into a horrible situation. Having your first pairing be your top shut-down unit as well as excellent puck-movers and shooting threats sounds pretty dandy to me.

That was my first choice but I took Burns so Gio can be the defensive force on that pairing and doughty can anchor the 2nd line with Reilly or Letang.

Reactions: Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The answer here is Pietrangelo and its not close. He is a way better player than Doughty at this point of his career and the best all around Canadian D man. Did anyone watch the playoffs?... Or any St Louis games in general?

Doughty is still good but he doesnt get around the ice nearly as well at this point.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->