HFBoards Team Canada 2020: 1LD

Who SHOULD be Team Canada’s 1LD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The offense is now set, and it’s scary as ever. But who will get the puck up to the forwards? Keep in mind that for the defense, players of both handedness will be available for both sides; it’s up to the voters to determine the importance of playing on one’s strong side. Who should be the first pairing left defenseman?

This series of polls is an exercise to collectively put together the best roster Canada could field if they were to play an international game on New Year’s Day.

The process for filling out the team as follows:

1. Fill the forwards, moving from centre to wing to wing, with remaining centres also eligible. A guy like Giroux might be best deployed higher up in the lineup on the wing; it is up to the voters to decide.
2. Fill the defense. All defenders will be available for each side. Up to the voters to determine the importance of correct handed-ness.
3. Fill the goalies.

These polls will make a 2020 Team Canada, Team Canada B, Team USA, Team Sweden, Team Finland, Team Russia, Team Rest of World, and so on as demanded. The final rosters will then be put into a poll to determine the order of the best offenses, defenses, and goalies, and the average determined to decide the best teams. I will then compile everything into one document, which I will post in the International Forums.

Here is the pool of players I will be working with. Open to suggestions (i.e. shifting Giroux to a winger group).

C: Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, Bergeron, Tavares, Seguin, Duchene, O’Rielly, Point, Scheifele, Couturier, Giroux, Monahan, Couture, Stamkos, Johansen, Toews, Strome, Dubois, Barzal, Domi, Horvat, Nugent-Hopkins, Kadri, Schenn, Getzlaf, Athanasiou, E. Staal

LW: Marchand, Hall, Huberdeau, Benn, Skinner, Debrusk, Hoffman, Drouin, Kane, Schwartz

RW: Stone, Marner, Reinhart, Marchesseault, Mantha, Anderson, Gallagher, Bailey, Konecny, Smith, Wilson

LD: Giordano, Rielly, Chabot, Morrissey, Keith, Girard, Theodore, Murray, Nurse, Matheson, Vlasic, Brodie, Chychrun, Sanheim, Dunn, Muzzin

RD: Burns, Doughty, Spurgeon, Dumba, Letang, Pietrangelo, Pulock, Parayko, Weber, Subban, Ellis, Barrie, Ekblad, Hamilton, Montour, Makar, Savard, Severson

G: Price, Fleury, Murray, Holtby, Dubnyk, Hart, Binnington, Jones, Smith, Crawford, Blackwood

With that out of the way...who should be Canada’s first pairing left defenseman?

Stamkos - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Hall - Tavares - Marner
Scheifele - O’Rielly - Stone
Giroux

x - x
x - x
x - x

x
x​

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That is a thin left side.

You'd think Canada would have a #1 LHD that is younger than Giordano, or better defensively than Rielly or Chabot. I'm seriously thinking through Josh Morrissey, Ryan Murray, and Darnell Nurse. All three of those guys are on the upswing and might be the best multi-tool guys in 2020. But that feels premature. I'll go with Giordano as #1.

Giordano - Doughty
Chabot - Parayko
Morrissey - Makar
Pietrangelo

It's not exactly the legendary 2010 Gold Medal D group:

Niedermayer - Weber
Pronger - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Boyle

But then again Doughty was about 20 at that point, the legendary aspect of it partly comes with how good some of those guys have been since 2010.

Reactions: Dominance

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That is a thin left side.

You'd think Canada would have a #1 LHD that is younger than Giordano, or better defensively than Rielly or Chabot. I'm seriously thinking through Josh Morrissey, Ryan Murray, and Darnell Nurse. All three of those guys are on the upswing and might be the best multi-tool guys in 2020. But that feels premature. I'll go with Giordano as #1.

Giordano - Doughty
Chabot - Parayko
Morrissey - Makar
Pietrangelo

It's not exactly the legendary 2010 Gold Medal D group:

Niedermayer - Weber
Pronger - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Boyle

But then again Doughty was about 20 at that point, the legendary aspect of it partly comes with how good some of those guys have been since 2010.

2020 is less than 3 months away though. Gio is old but just won the Norris. Don't see how Makar beats out Burns either.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Giordano - Doughty
Rielly - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Burns
Morrissey/Spurgeon

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Stamkos - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Hall - Tavares - Marner
Scheifele - O’Rielly - Stone
Giroux

Giordano - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Burns
Reilly - Parayko
Chabot

Price
Fleury

Reactions: Dominance

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
2016 world cup:

Vlasic - Weber (Duncan Keith was hurt)
Muzzin/Bouwmeester - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Burns

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Giordano-Doughty
Chabot-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Parayko
Burns

is what I would run with.

Girard, Ekblad, and Hamilton in particular have been fantastic in this young season, though. Not sure what the worry with the next wave of defenders is about.

Rielly-Dumba
Chabot-Pulock
Girard-Parayko
Morrissey-Ekblad
Theodore-Hamilton

These guys are all already strong top-pairing defenders. Guys like Dunn, Sanheim, Nurse, Dermott, and Montour have had spot time there, too.

Coming up we have Makar, Fabbro, Timmons, Byram, Dobson, Smith, Bouchard, Clague, Harley, Robertson, Ferraro, JBD, Bean, Brook, Ferraro, Mitchell, Chychrun, Cholowski, Hague, Myers, Fleury, Woo, Addison, POJ, Guhle, Korczak, McIsaac, Beaudin, and Foote, just off the top of my head. Many of these guys are already making an impact. Some are certain stars, and a handful of others are bound to pop out from such quantity of quality.

We also have Drysdale, Barron, Schneider, Poirier, Guhle, Clarke, Lambos, and Whynot as possibly elite guys to look forward to over the next two years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In my opinion the team should only take two of Chabot, Rielly, Burns, Makar, Hamilton, etc..

Those guys are valuable in the NHL because anyone of them could score 70 pts. But there's no real need for that on Team Canada. Canada has plenty of scoring on F and D, they need defenders that can score AND shut down opponents.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Giordano will be 37....really hope he isnt on the top pairing lol

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
In my opinion the team should only take two of Chabot, Rielly, Burns, Makar, Hamilton, etc..

Those guys are valuable in the NHL because anyone of them could score 70 pts. But there's no real need for that on Team Canada. Canada has plenty of scoring on F and D, they need defenders that can score AND shut down opponents.

Makar hasnt even hit 7 pts yet......

Hamilton in his 8th season has a career high of 50 but he "could score 70pts"?

Rielly is gonna be on the team. I'd bet chabot makes it too. Burns probably make it but I dont see the others with much of a chance

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If i had to guess its gonna look somehting like this

Giordano - Doughty
Rielly -Pietrangelo
Chabot - Weber
*Morrissey/Burns

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Makar hasnt even hit 7 pts yet......

Hamilton in his 8th season has a career high of 50 but he "could score 70pts"?

Rielly is gonna be on the team. I'd bet chabot makes it too. Burns probably make it but I dont see the others with much of a chance

Give Hamilton the same opportunity and he'd outscore Rielly. And Makar would outscore both.

When Burns gets intense defensively he can play shutdown, as he showed in the playoffs, although I don't know how reliably he can invoke that. Rielly is born intense, he unfortunately just doesn't have the head for defensive positioning. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team but it would be a waste.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
I know opinions have shifted on HFboards but if we are trying to be at all realistic with this, the 2016 team are going to be options. Guys like Weber and Keith are not unlikely to be named, they are still playing 20-25 minutes a night in the NHL.

I really doubt guys like Makar would even get a sniff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad