Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hello all,

I thought it would be a fun exercise to collectively put together the best roster Canada could field if they were to play an international game on New Year’s Day.

The process will be as follows:

1. Fill the four centre positions.
2. Fill the wings, jumping from wing to wing, with remaining centres also eligible. A guy like MacKinnon or Giroux might be best deployed higher up in the lineup on the wing; it is up to the voters to decide.
3. Fill the defense. All defenders will be available for each side. Up to the voters to determine the importance of correct handed-ness.
4. Fill the goaltenders.

If we receive a good amount of participation, I may continue to make a 2020 Team Canada B, Team USA, Team Scandinavia, Team Rest of World, and so on as demanded.

Here is the pool of players I will be working with. Open to suggestions (i.e. shifting Giroux to a winger group).

C: Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, Bergeron, Tavares, Seguin, Duchene, O’Rielly, Point, Scheifele, Couturier, Giroux, Monahan, Couture, Stamkos, Johansen, Toews, Strome, Dubois, Barzal, Domi, Horvat, Nugent-Hopkins, Kadri, Schenn, Getzlaf, Athanasiou, E. Staal

LW: Marchand, Hall, Huberdeau, Benn, Skinner, Debrusk, Hoffman, Drouin, Kane, Schwartz

RW: Stone, Marner, Reinhart, Marchesseault, Mantha, Anderson, Gallagher, Bailey, Konecny, Smith, Wilson

LD: Giordano, Chabot, Morrissey, Keith, Girard, Theodore, Murray, Nurse, Matheson, Vlasic, Brodie, Chychrun, Sanheim, Dunn, Muzzin

RD: Burns, Doughty, Rielly, Spurgeon, Dumba, Letang, Pietrangelo, Pulock, Parayko, Weber, Subban, Ellis, Barrie, Ekblad, Hamilton, Montour, Makar, Savard, Severson

G: Price, Fleury, Murray, Holtby, Dubnyk, Hart, Binnington, Jones, Smith, Crawford, Blackwood

With that out of the way...who is Canada’s top centreman?

x - x - x
x - x - x
x - x - x
x - x - x

x - x
x - x
x - x

x
x

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron (just needs to happen, they showed amazing chemistry when they've been together)

Scheifele-McDavid-MacKinnon (seems like a random assortment but they're all too talented not play this kind of role, I just put more thought into how the other lines would actually work)

Couturier-O'Reilly-Stone (they never seem to do the "all defense" approach, but I think this is what it would be if they did)

Couture-Tavares-Marner (obvious chemistry from the Leafs duo and Couture is a versatile and clutch player to have on the team)

Point

Giroux and Hall are my biggest omissions. I know a lot of people like Hall with McDavid but I don't see it as something that's necessary. I think you could argue Giroux over Point because Giroux does have that wing versatility. I just prefer Point.

Giordano-Doughty
Morrissey-Burns
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Parayko

Defense is kind of open a bit. Doughty should be there despite a down year and I think Morrissey will progress to the point where he doesn't look out of place as someone who can offset Burns' game.

Price
Crawford
Binnington

Guy who's consistently seen as one of the best, guy who's had injury troubles but was one of the best when he wasn't, and the "wildcard" young guy.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron (just needs to happen, they showed amazing chemistry when they've been together)

Scheifele-McDavid-MacKinnon (seems like a random assortment but they're all too talented not play this kind of role, I just put more thought into how the other lines would actually work)

Couturier-O'Reilly-Stone (they never seem to do the "all defense" approach, but I think this is what it would be if they did)

Couture-Tavares-Marner (obvious chemistry from the Leafs duo and Couture is a versatile and clutch player to have on the team)

Point

Giroux and Hall are my biggest omissions. I know a lot of people like Hall with McDavid but I don't see it as something that's necessary. I think you could argue Giroux over Point because Giroux does have that wing versatility. I just prefer Point.

Giordano-Doughty
Morrissey-Burns
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Parayko

Defense is kind of open a bit. Doughty should be there despite a down year and I think Morrissey will progress to the point where he doesn't look out of place as someone who can offset Burns' game.

Price
Crawford
Binnington

Guy who's consistently seen as one of the best, guy who's had injury troubles but was one of the best when he wasn't, and the "wildcard" young guy.

This is well thought out. I feel like Stamkos would be a lock, though. He'd take O'Reilly's spot on the roster and the lines would have to be reconfigured.

How about an Nova Scotia line: Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon. Then Scheifele - McDavid - Stamkos. Then Couturier - Bergeron - Stone if you want an all defense approach.

Reactions: Dominance

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This is well thought out. I feel like Stamkos would be a lock, though. He'd take O'Reilly's spot on the roster and the lines would have to be reconfigured.

How about an Nova Scotia line: Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon. Then Scheifele - McDavid - Stamkos. Then Couturier - Bergeron - Stone if you want an all defense approach.

I think after the World Cup there’s a 0% chance we don’t see Marchand/Crosby/Bergeron at least looked at first.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Point

Giordano-Doughty
Morrissey-Burns
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Parayko

Price
Crawford
Binnington

I find it really hard to believe that Tavares - Marner line is the 4th line.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
I find it really hard to believe that Tavares - Marner line is the 4th line.

It's Team Canada. Not like they're numbering lines anyway after the Crosby line.

Also, I know this is an HFboards team - but you know if it's Hockey Canada, Toews is on that team.

Reactions: 7even

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm just gonna skew young for the hell of it. It's 10 years since Vancouver, when Hockey Canada basically handed over the reigns to the new generation of superstars, why not do the same now. There are some vets in there to hand the torch, same way Niedermayer and Pronger did in Vancouver, but for the most part, it's about the kids. Except in goal... lets not get crazy.

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron

Hall - McDavid - MacKinnon

Scheifele - Point - Marner

Couturier - OReilly - Stone

Couture

Reilly - Doughty

Hamilton - Pietrangelo

Morrissey - Parayko

Subban

Price
Holtby
Binnington

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think the better way to do this would be to vote for all the centers at once

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Scheifele- McDavid - MacKinnon
Seguin - Tavares - Marner
Couturier - OReilly - Stone
Hall/Toews

Giordano-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Burns
Rielly-Parayko
Letang

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why is everyone moving Bergeron to wing?

I would move McDavid to wing before I move the best defensive forward ever away from center.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Point

Giordano-Doughty
Morrissey-Burns
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Parayko

Price
Crawford
Binnington

I really like that Couture - Tavares - Marner line, I think it'd work really well. Couts can snipe, Tavares is a shooting and net front threat, and Marner is one of the better distributors in the league. I think they'd do well.

Reactions: Dominance

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why is everyone moving Bergeron to wing?

I would move McDavid to wing before I move the best defensive forward ever away from center.

Just because of how good the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line was in 2016. And I think it's mostly on paper. They'd both take draws on their strong side and Bergeron would probably take on more of the defensive responsibilities down low.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Something like McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, O'Reilly down the middle. Maybe Scheifele. Guys like Bergeron and MacKinnon move to the wing, though O'Reilly could do that as well.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Really hard to nail down the forwards, there are too many good ones.
Line 3/4 are interchangeable
Wanted to place Giroux/Scheifele/Getzlaf and others somewhere, just thought this might be the best fit for each line.

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron -- dominated last olympics, still all amazing players
Point - McDavid - Mac -- super speedy and high skilled offensive line
O'Reilly - Couturier - Stone -- defensive shut down line with some offensive upside
Stamkos - Tavares - Marner -- let Marner drive the play and feed to two players who can finish

I'd assume Babs is coaching again and he really likes D being on their strong side.
Was also trying to find a balance between offense and defense.
Left off Burns cause I don't think he'd be a good fit for the system that team Canada normally plays.

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Gio - Doughty
Morissey - Parayko

Price
Holtby
Fluery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->