HFBoards ranked San Jose 9th best... how about now?

After the Karlsson addition, the Sharks are 2019 Stanley Cup Favourites # ???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jun 27, 2005
East:
Tampa, Toronto
Washington, Pittsburgh

West:
Nashville, Winnipeg
San Jose, St. Louis, Vegas?

So somewhere around 5-9.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well that's a little hyperbole don't you think? I don't know why every thread has to turn into a Toronto critique thread.

I see most fans objectivley saying the leafs are somewhere between 3rd and 7th overall in the league moving forward. I think this is pretty fair estimation on where they will be

In my opinion

1. Tampa Bay
2. Winnipeg
3. Toronto
4. Washington (I don't see them repeating)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Nashville
7. Boston/San Jose
8. San Jose/Boston
Other than being a homer, why would Toronto be ahead of Washington, Pitts, Boston, or Nashville. All of those teams have had actual playoff success, but Toronto is #3 because.....

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Which rating are you talking about? can you share it?
NHL polls for top centers, Kane, Crosby, Seguin and Slavin all specifically saying that Toronto was one of the favourites for the cup, Barkov saying Matthews is the best player he's played against, Trotz calling Matthews generational...I could go on and you can search all of these if you'd like.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
NHL polls for top centers, Kane, Crosby, Seguin and Slavin all specifically saying that Toronto was one of the favourites for the cup, Barkov saying Matthews is the best player he's played against, Trotz calling Matthews generational...I could go on and you can search all of these if you'd like.

Oh, individual polls. I thought you meant they ranked the Leafs as a team highly...you should edit your post and reword it.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Other than being a homer, why would Toronto be ahead of Washington, Pitts, Boston, or Nashville. All of those teams have had actual playoff success, but Toronto is #3 because.....
Because its his favourite team

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Oh, individual polls. I thought you meant they ranked the Leafs as a team highly...you should edit your post and reword it.
Being called a favourite for the cup isn't ranking a team highly? :popcorn:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

That just seems like a bunch of stuff that the overly pc hockey professionals say on a regular basis. I'm sure you would get similar responses if the Leafs players were asked those questions about Tampa or some other good team. It's wouldnt call it gospel. But at the same time, the top 7 teams are probably considered favourites, there is too much talent around to definitively pick 1 team.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Tier 1 league
THL(Toronto Hockey League)

1.Toronto
2.Toronto (they have so much depth they could roll with 2 teams)
3. Marlies
4. Leaf Prospects
5. Undrafted Leafs

Tier 2 league
NHL (National Hockey League)

1.Tampa Bay
2. Winnipeg
3. Washington (I don't see them repeating)
4. Pittsburgh
5. Nashville
6. Boston/San Jose
7. San Jose/Boston

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
That just seems like a bunch of stuff that the overly pc hockey professionals say on a regular basis. I'm sure you would get similar responses if the Leafs players were asked those questions about Tampa or some other good team. It's wouldnt call it gospel. But at the same time, the top 7 teams are probably considered favourites, there is too much talent around to definitively pick 1 team.
LOL when a player is asked who their favourite to win the cup is they don't have to say the Leafs, they can pick any team. Crosby, Kane, Slavin and Seguin all specifically chose the Leafs as their favourite (Crosby said Caps and Leafs). Ditto with Barkov, when he's asked who the toughest player he's ever played against, he doesn't have to say Matthews, it's an open question, he specifically chose Matthews.

I think the Leafs are a cup contender but I won't call them the number 1 favourite but I think they have as good a shot as any team for the cup.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Teams I like better on paper for sure

Tampa Bay
Nashville
WPG
Pittsburgh

Teams I think have the potential to be better:

Leafs
Washington
Philly
St. Louis

So overall I think somewhere between 5th-7th is likely (voted 6th). I think they'll breeze by their division, but their forward depth doesn't impress me much, and there are still several teams I'd take over them top to bottom.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
LOL when a player is asked who their favourite to win the cup is they don't have to say the Leafs, they can pick any team. Crosby, Kane, Slavin and Seguin all specifically chose the Leafs as their favourite (Crosby said Caps and Leafs). Ditto with Barkov, when he's asked who the toughest player he's ever played against, he doesn't have to say Matthews, it's an open question, he specifically chose Matthews.

I think the Leafs are a cup contender but I won't call them the number 1 favourite but I think they have as good a shot as any team for the cup.

I think you're misrepresenting their comments a bit. I think the article title is also misleading, considering each player's actual comments/feelings.

Kane listed Toronto "among his favorites", not his favorite.

Slavin talked about how Toronto "has a really good chance this year" and about how "they're going to be a dangerous team this year", but there was no comment from him specifically calling them his pick as favorite.

Seguin's only comment was that Toronto "could be a major challenge for its first Cup since 1967". Again, he didn't call them his pick as favorite.

Crosby did list Washington and Toronto, though the question asked "not including your own team". So he's the only one of your list who actually seemed to say Toronto was his favorite (in his case, co-favorite other than the Pens).

Maple Leafs seen by opposing players as top contender for Stanley Cup

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
When players, coaches and front office members all rate the Leafs very highly but the non-leaf portion of HF doesn't, that says something

Until the Leafs prove otherwise I have them somewhere in the 5-6 range with the Bolts, Caps, Jets, and Preds ahead of them but I do believe that they will be better then the Sharks. Not a big believer of the Sharks forward core anymore so I pick them to end up at the #7 spot.

Jets
Bolts
Caps
Preds
Leafs/Pens
Sharks

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Being called a favourite for the cup isn't ranking a team highly? :popcorn:

Well I asked him to share some of those rankings and he couldn't...I don't doubt him, I'd just like people to back up what they say. No big deal, you guys are overreacting here lol.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Yes I too believe they are contenders. There are at least 5 teams that have legitimate chances at winning a cup.

If that's how the questions were posed then yes,you may have a point. I haven't seen any of these articles or videos, but you can confirm that they were 100% open questions? They weren't interviewing Barkov when he was getting ready for a road game against the Leafs?

My point is that it's ingrained in hockey culture to heap loads of praise and respect on your opponent. McDavid still would say Sid is the best in league, cause he has cups etc. Even though its plainly evident that McDavid is currently a better player. So I take comments like these with a grain of salt, and I'm not throwing shade at the Leafs. If you asked Leafs players who the favourite is, guarantee they dont pick themselves.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yes I too believe they are contenders. There are at least 5 teams that have legitimate chances at winning a cup.

If that's how the questions were posed then yes,you may have a point. I haven't seen any of these articles or videos, but you can confirm that they were 100% open questions? They weren't interviewing Barkov when he was getting ready for a road game against the Leafs?

My point is that it's ingrained in hockey culture to heap loads of praise and respect on your opponent. McDavid still would say Sid is the best in league, cause he has cups etc. Even though its plainly evident that McDavid is currently a better player. So I take comments like these with a grain of salt, and I'm not throwing shade at the Leafs. If you asked Leafs players who the favourite is, guarantee they dont pick themselves.
You can google them and again, when asked about a certain player sure, but when you're asked an open-ended question and you specifically choose the Leafs or in Barkov's case Matthews'...can't be any more direct than that. Just because a player's view is different from what you think it should be doesn't mean it's wrong.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Well I asked him to share some of those rankings and he couldn't...I don't doubt him, I'd just like people to back up what they say. No big deal, you guys are overreacting here lol.

LOL keep backtracking

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You can google them and again, when asked about a certain player sure, but when you're asked an open-ended question and you specifically choose the Leafs or in Barkov's case Matthews'...can't be any more direct than that. Just because a player's view is different from what you think it should be doesn't mean it's wrong.

When did I say it was wrong? Having a skeptical and inquisitive view of a presented opinion, does not mean I dismiss it as being wrong. It just means I don't take it at face value immediately.

Sidney posted some research above. He seems to disagree

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think you're misrepresenting their comments a bit. I think the article title is also misleading, considering each player's actual comments/feelings.

Kane listed Toronto "among his favorites", not his favorite.

Slavin talked about how Toronto "has a really good chance this year" and about how "they're going to be a dangerous team this year", but there was no comment from him specifically calling them his pick as favorite.

Seguin's only comment was that Toronto "could be a major challenge for its first Cup since 1967". Again, he didn't call them his pick as favorite.

Crosby did list Washington and Toronto, though the question asked "not including your own team". So he's the only one of your list who actually seemed to say Toronto was his favorite (in his case, co-favorite other than the Pens).

Maple Leafs seen by opposing players as top contender for Stanley Cup
You're nitpicking, if we're arguing that Toronto is a legit cup contender like what my original post was addressing in regards to them being seen as cup contenders by coaches, players and front office members, then those players are all validating that notion. Being one of the favourites for the cup (Kane) means the Leafs are cup contenders, Malkin and Crosby ditto, Seguin calling them a major challenger for the cup constitutes calling them cup contenders. You joined this conversation halfway through and didn't look at what the original post of mine was addressing.

No team in the NHL will ever be the far-away favourite for the cup, there's too much parity for that but the Leafs are definitely cup contenders and favourites heading into the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad