HFBoards ranked San Jose 9th best... how about now?

After the Karlsson addition, the Sharks are 2019 Stanley Cup Favourites # ???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Depends if Karlsson can step in and be the player he's been in years past and if Jumo Joe can get back to recent form.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Man some of these teams are just so strong. Probably my pick to come out of the west over Winnipeg. Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington fight it out in the east.

I guess that puts them at #2, with the cup still ending up out east.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm still not overly fond of their forwards unless Thornton can play like a number 1 again. I would still put Winnipeg ahead in the West and probably Nashville as well, though they're closer. I think I also prefer Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto and Boston in terms of the best teams, so I ended up putting them 8th. Thinking more, the fact that many of those East teams will have to go through each other, and Winnipeg and Nashville are in the same division gives San Jose a bit of an advantage. I think Vegas will be good again, but in general the Pacific is still the best division to be in, so perhaps that should put them higher in terms of likelihood.

Reactions: Intact

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Toronto has way better forwards then San Jose and two 50 point defensmen. San Jose would come in around 8 in my opinion.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I feel like the league is stronger than it has been in a long time right now. You have powerhouses like Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, San Jose, Nashville, Winnipeg who are all primed for a Cup run. Then you have a lot of really good teams after that like Toronto, St. Louis, Boston and Vegas who are the next wave of the Cup contenders IMO.

That's 10 teams right there that I wouldn't be shocked if they went to the Cup. That's 1/3 of the league. Not even counting other competitive teams like LA, Calgary, Dallas, Columbus, Florida, etc. Half the league is honestly really damn good. Playoffs are gonna be wild this season.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm still not overly fond of their forwards unless Thornton can play like a number 1 again. I would still put Winnipeg ahead in the West and probably Nashville as well, though they're closer. I think I also prefer Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto and Boston in terms of the best teams, so I ended up putting them 8th. Thinking more, the fact that many of those East teams will have to go through each other, and Winnipeg and Nashville are in the same division gives San Jose a bit of an advantage. I think Vegas will be good again, but in general the Pacific is still the best division to be in, so perhaps that should put them higher in terms of likelihood.
Agreed, and you can't expect too much out of a 39 year old who's blown out both knees in the past year and a half.

They will compete for the Western championship, but it's hard to imagine Logan Couture being the best forward on a cup-winning team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At the very most, I could see them move up to 5th (I like their D better than Nashville's). Though I'd rank them maybe ahead of Toronto and St. Louis, possibly Boston as well.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Toronto is so far ahead of everyone else that they are 1-5

All the other chumps in the NHL are playing for 6th place.

Well that's a little hyperbole don't you think? I don't know why every thread has to turn into a Toronto critique thread.

I see most fans objectivley saying the leafs are somewhere between 3rd and 7th overall in the league moving forward. I think this is pretty fair estimation on where they will be

In my opinion

1. Tampa Bay
2. Winnipeg
3. Toronto
4. Washington (I don't see them repeating)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Nashville
7. Boston/San Jose
8. San Jose/Boston

Last edited:
Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
San Jose lacks TOP end forwards unless Pavelski and Thornton return to form from two or so years ago, which is unlikely.. but not impossible. Thornton was playing like a true 1 last year before his injury.

Essentially Burns and EK will lead their offense and they will have some great complimentary pieces (Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Kane, Hertl, Donskoi). People act like they will have no offense, yet, Burns and EK are capable of being PPG players on their own. They will score their goals.

Also, best D in league and a top 10 goalie.

I say they are around 2-4

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Voted them in at #2. Lightning are my #1.

Good goalie, the two best offensive defencemen in the league, a great shutdown guy, and strong forwards with veteran experience and some playoff monsters, they're poised to do serious damage. Unreal that they added Karlsson for peanuts.

Top 5 or 6 is full of good teams though, I still see Boston, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Washington as similar quality teams, not far behind at all.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
San Jose already has playoff success, so this addition gives them as good a shot as possible before Burns and Pavelski decline, and Thornton is gone. Only team in the WC that will challenge is Winnipeg. In the EC, Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa are the top candidates.

That puts SJ at #5.

Reactions: dukeofjive

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sharks who had a ppg dman, just added another ppg dman, so they have 2 dmans that posted near ppg less then 3 years ago, they are stacked, and I don't see any team in the west stopping them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad