Speculation: HFBoards Mock Draft 2013 (13th Pick)

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Hey guys, I'm back. For those of you that missed the first thread, I ran a lottery simulation a while back and came up with a draft order which can be seen here. I decided that instead of coming up with a mock draft myself I would have the fans of each team vote on their pick. I'll post the collective results once every fanbase has voted.

The Blue Jackets have the 13th pick, their second of three in the first round. Thus far, Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones, Monahan, Drouin, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Ristolainen, Domi, Lazar and Zadorov have been selected. Who would you take with the 13th overall pick?

Edit: I figured I'd let those who didn't see the first thread know that with the 6th overall pick Columbus picked centre Elias Lindholm from Brynas

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Nichushkin is the Prospect Board "Geniuses" flavor of the month because of 3 WJC games so I went with him.

Although I do like Morrisey. Loved him in the Smiths. His solo stuff...yeesh.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I could see Alexander Wennberg moving up as a top 15 pick after how well he's done at the WJC. My guess is he'll be the second Swedish forward picked after Lindholm, and before Burakovsky and de la Rose.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I went with Josh Morrissey, because I simply think he's the best player on that list. Honorable mentions to Horvat and Mantha.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have no clue but I went with Nichushkin because he is big and a forward and is highly ranked by all services on tsn and according to Central Scouting he is a RW. If not him probably Erne. Has to be a forward imo.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I went with Josh Morrissey, because I simply think he's the best player on that list. Honorable mentions to Horvat and Mantha.

I know we have decent goalie depth in the pipeline, but with multiple first round picks Fucale might be a good choice. Morrissey is a safe bet and has good potential, he could be who I would take as well, along with Robert Hagg. I didn't see Duclair's name on the list of players taken though, nor is he on the list of choices. He could be a great fit for us. Excellent attitude, and blazing speed with a good shot. Not afraid of the dirty areas either. You really can't go wrong in this spot IMO.

I'll probably end up voting Other for Duclair. Getting him and Lindholm would be a coup.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I know we have decent goalie depth in the pipeline, but with multiple first round picks Fucale might be a good choice. Morrissey is a safe bet and has good potential, he could be who I would take as well, along with Robert Hagg. I didn't see Duclair's name on the list of players taken though, nor is he on the list of choices. He could be a great fit for us. Excellent attitude, and blazing speed with a good shot. Not afraid of the dirty areas either. You really can't go wrong in this spot IMO.

I'll probably end up voting Other for Duclair. Getting him and Lindholm would be a coup.

I can't disagree with anything you said here. Fucale is a real blue chipper, and if we were picking him in this range I would not be disappointed at all. Adding depth at every position is important when developing prospects, and I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as too much quality/depth in any position. Things happen, guys get hurt, guys don't develop for whatever reason - never hurts to have other guys in the same position just in case.

Ebbisen

Jun 5, 2012
Lurking the HF board
I can't disagree with anything you said here. Fucale is a real blue chipper, and if we were picking him in this range I would not be disappointed at all.

How far behinde are the other goalies in this years draft, cause i have been reading never draft a goalie i the first round, the odds of the goalie panning out is almost as good in the later rounds.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
How far behinde are the other goalies in this years draft, cause i have been reading never draft a goalie i the first round, the odds of the goalie panning out is almost as good in the later rounds.

I think that's little exaggerated.. may be wrong though.

Fucale seems to be the highest ranked so far but Spencer Martin and Eric Comrie are somewhat a close.. both could be late 1st rounders.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Eric Comrie isn't that far behind, but doesn't play for a very good team (and plays in probably the least exposed market in junior hockey). There is a slight dropoff from there to the other guys, but the difficult thing to measure in goalies is that their development can absolutely happen simply with just mental maturity. That's why you see so many late round successes or even guys that go undrafted. If you really dig deep into the history, the guys with the top credentials are typically pretty successful, save for some serious misses (Al Montoya, for example). I think the rule of thumb is the same as any other position - if you develop them properly, you'll have a great player. Examples of that would be Jonathan Bernier or Cory Schneider.

bizzz*

Seems like the voting is between Morissey (why would we need another defenseman?) and the guy whos stats are inflated by his linemates (playing with Grigorenko helps Erne a lot).
Mantha is outscoring Erne playing with less talented partners (Zlobin didn't even make the Russian WJC team), leads his team in scoring by a big margin (30 goals, 56 points in 37 games) and plus/minus (unlike Erne), and also he's much bigger (6'03" vs. 6'0").
I'm confused that I'm the only one who voted for Mantha. So what makes Erne better?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm confused that I'm the only one who voted for Mantha. So what makes Erne better?

Mantha was born one day after the cut-off for the 2012 draft, so he's older than Erne and almost a full year older than the youngest players in the draft class like MacKinnon and Barkov.

Erne is also a more well-rounded player, while there are concerns about Mantha floating, not playing well in his own zone, not using his size to his advantage and consistency. He's a very highly skilled offensive player, but he's got a lot to work on.

Both of them are worthy of being mid-1st round picks, but Erne is known for going into the crease, battling for pucks, along with offensive skill and a great shot and monster hits.

The fact that these types of players are going to be available in the top 15 maybe even top 20 shows how deep this draft class is.

bizzz*

Mantha was born one day after the cut-off for the 2012 draft, so he's older than Erne and almost a full year older than the youngest players in the draft class like MacKinnon and Barkov.

Erne is also a more well-rounded player, while there are concerns about Mantha floating, not playing well in his own zone, not using his size to his advantage and consistency. He's a very highly skilled offensive player, but he's got a lot to work on.

Both of them are worthy of being mid-1st round picks, but Erne is known for going into the crease, battling for pucks, along with offensive skill and a great shot and monster hits.

The fact that these types of players are going to be available in the top 15 maybe even top 20 shows how deep this draft class is.
Thanks for the reply.
A lot of things I've heard about Mantha remind me of the guy that was traded to the NYR last summer. Good skater with size and great shot, future top-line power forward. Mantha's got 3 fighting majors this season, which is a rare thing for a guy who's trying to avoid physical contacts. Also you can teach how to use your size, but you can't teach size.
Well, I just thought a guy like that could get at least a few votes in a such poll.

Ebbisen

Jun 5, 2012
Lurking the HF board
Kemisti an Sore Loser thanks for taking your time and answering my question. So looking forward to the draft this summer (if there is one).

Last edited:

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Well it looks like with their second 1st-round pick the Blue Jackets have gone with Adam Erne. Thank you to everyone who came out and shared their opinions, I will be back to collect more votes once I reach the 29th pick.

735136_116686361834764_1496004242_n.jpg

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
At least I'm not alone who thinks that Mantha could be better than Erne.
01.01.2013 he was ranked 3rd in the QMJHL just behind Mackinnon and Drouin:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2013-nhl-draft-mid-term-qmjhl-report/
He's 10th overall in the Mckeen's rankings:
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft/

It's hard to judge, but I prefer Mantha, as I think he projects as a better pro player. I have been wrong in the past on this sort of thing though (re: Benoit Pouliot vs. Bobby Ryan).

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Mantha arguably has more talent, but has major consistency issues. I personally would easily take Erne over him, as everything I've seen of Erne has left me seriously impressed (I have him ranked in my top 10). He has great hands, drives the net frequently and has one of the best shots in the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad