NHL 05-3.JPG
NHL 05-4.JPG
NHL 05-5.JPG

Reactions: hangman005

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Well, it's not very likely because the Penguins are at home against the Rangers on a back-to-back, but I didn't realize that there was still a scenario out there where the Penguins could drop into the top wild card position if they lose and Carolina wins in Philly; the tiebreaker belongs to the 'Canes.

So there's a scenario out there where Pens/Caps occurs in the first round and we're guaranteed one of the Isles or Hurricanes reaching the second round. Would be kinda wild, really. Not sure I'm rooting for that to happen since I prefer Carolina to Columbus in the first round, but if that can't happen then that would be a cool kind of other thing to see happen.

Is tying a record the same as setting it?

Truthfully, the '95-'96 Red Wings won 62 games in an era with ties and no shootouts. We've won six shootout games ths season. So even if the Lightning tied the record today, I really wouldn't consider it them "tying" the record at all. Apples-to-oranges.

Besides, I couldn't care to "tie" it anyway. The '96 Red Wings didn't win the Cup and, if it weren't for them making things right the following two seasons, we would poke jokes at the '96 Red Wings the same way baseball fans poke jokes at the 2001 Mariners (sidenote - the 1906 Cubs also won 116 games, and in ten fewer games. They too failed to win the World Series). "Tie" the record, and that just creates that many more comparisons and narratives of nonsense that shouldn't be wasting digital ink. I'll take the 55 non-SO wins and be glad with it. It's not like today's game has even the slightest meaning, anyway.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
With shootout "wins" setting the record isn't even the same as setting it.

5v5 OT compared to 3v3 OT is also a significant difference as well. Overtime was a legitimate five-minute extension of the game back then, all the way down to two points for winning and zero for losing. 3v3 OT might be fun and wide open but, compared to the actual way an NHL game is meant to be played, it's a farce.

Two years ago, on the final day of the season, I really was hoping for the Lightning to beat the Sabres. Not because the game meant anything - Lightning were eliminated from contention the previous night - but because a regulation win would give the Lightning a 32-30 record in games decided in regulation that season, a winning record for a team that, at their worst, was 19-24 at the beginning of February (and was at the bottom of the conference standings). A winning record was moderate consolation. I would rather miss the playoffs with a winning record than make the playoffs with a losing record every day of the week; teams with losing records making the playoffs will never not drive me up a wall, honestly.

Reactions: Sam Spade

BoltsFanPinellasPark

Apr 18, 2018
Playing hockey in florida is also not how the game was meant to be played haha but... Ta daaa!

Im j/k i get the purist argument and respect it. Im a purist fan in other sports where the game is more normally played in my part of the world.

Dont know enough hockey history to debate even. Must say tho, a season like this teaches me a lot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
All of the possible match up outcomes, and the first game of the day is basically a preseason game as far as significance.

You know the NHL hoped this would end up deciding who would win the division when they made the schedule.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Got money on the Wings losing that one. Buffalo still has some pride yet

Not sure if this is a piss poor troll attempt or if I'm just misunderstanding it, considering BUF is 2-7-1 over the last 10, compared to Detroit's 8-2-0.

Did you mean BUF has been awful and therefore has more to prove?

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not sure if this is a piss poor troll attempt or if I'm just misunderstanding it, considering BUF is 2-7-1 over the last 10, compared to Detroit's 8-2-0.

Did you mean BUF has been awful and therefore has more to prove?

No. I just think Buffalo can win if they actually try and I don't believe a 10 game sample size that's seen Detroit win 25% of it's entire season worth of games is gonna change it. Their season can be summed up as "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" and if ANY club can find a way to drop a W to Buffalo it's Detroit.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No. I just think Buffalo can win if they actually try and I don't believe a 10 game sample size that's seen Detroit win 25% of it's entire season worth of games is gonna change it. Their season can be summed up as "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" and if ANY club can find a way to drop a W to Buffalo it's Detroit.

Man, this is the hottest of hot takes considering Buffalo has 32 wins all season and 11 of them came in the month of November...

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad