GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/30/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jonathan Quick 3.31 Gaa .880 Sv% - is this is final year? He's literally the worst goalie in the NHL according to ESPN:

2018-19 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Goaltending - National Hockey League - ESPN
It's .890% (I know you just made a typo, but wanted to correct it to prevent mistakes from people reading this), but he's been terrible.

I'll chalk this up to a down year, unless it's repeated again next year, but he's looked miserable.

My assessment on him after watching every goal scored on every goalie in the league this year. He's been horrific on the eye test. He hasn't been quite as bad on my eye test as Cam Ward, Cam Talbot, Keith Kinkaid, Pheonix Copley, Mike Smith or Mikko Koskinen. He hasn't been significantly worse than Ward, Talbot or Kinkaid though. Just barely better. Copley, Smith and Koskinen have all been a decent bit worse on my eye test, at least out of goalies that have played a significant amount of games. Garret Sparks, Malcolm Subban and Cory Schneider have all been either as bad or give or take a marginal fraction of a percentage, but all of them have played no more than 25 games. Subban has only played 20 games and Sparks 19 games.

But he's been BAD. Not the worst I've seen this year but BAD.

One other area that probably shows up more in his save percentage than on the tape is that he spends A LOT of the game either on his belly or on his back. So there's a lot of goals that probably don't look stoppable that really are for a more technical goalie. Just because there's so much net left open. There's a lot of goals that look like goals he has no chance on, but that he really does have a better chance at. Like that game winner from Florida against him from 2 weeks back. I didn't mark that as stoppable on him, but I'd have to think most goalies aren't gonna stay on their belly for that one. And he overcommits and overplays a lot of shots and constantly throws himself out of position. He's been playing like this his entire career and has been very effective at it, but something is way off this year.

And his angles are quite poor this year. I'm not saying Jack Campbell and Cal Petersen would have a .925% save percentage if they had played 40 or 50 or more games this year like Quick has, but I find it hard to believe they'd be nearly down there with Quick in save percentage. I don't think this is a team thing as much as it's a Quick thing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad