GDT: HFBoards GDT | 2/9/21 | 7 games today - Flyers at Caps postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Not so sure on the "developed" part.

Oilers let him simmer in the NCAA and then he started in the AHL for a half season before getting called up. Might have been due to the Whitney injury.

He played on the top pair for at least two years so it wasn’t like he was some scrub. Non-Oilers fans knew nothing about him. MacT just had a contract dispute with him and chose Jultz over him.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yotes, Kings, and Ducks. All wins.

Perhaps I’m more easily amused at D men who can execute a tape to tape pass compared to the Oilers abomination of a breakout that was taking place before Bouchard was elevated to the roster and Nurse-Barrie became a pairing.

“You mean professionals have more breakout/transition options than the old beer league off the glass and out which is failing for us half the time still?” was a common thought. I don’t know, I thought Knights D core looked good in the games I caught but I don’t watch them on a daily basis.

Theodore obviously stood out as well, he’s a really good hockey player. I think he’ll be on the 2022 Olympic roster for Canada.
That's fair. The stretch passing has been good but the 5 man passing game has stretches that make me think the team collectively took ambien or something.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lubo and Frolov were fun but yeah.. until Kopitar and Doughty. Same with Hawks. So bad.
I mean, don't get me wrong, my other team is the Ducks so now I'm getting my penance for those 05-08 years constantly ridiculing how bad the Kings looked. Anaheim at present is just as rough and it kills me that they're wasting Gibson's talent.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That's fair. The stretch passing has been good but the 5 man passing game has stretches that make me think the team collectively took ambien or something.

Still finding a way to win, you guys have a good team.

Still shocking that Anaheim left Theodore exposed in the expansion draft, he had some growing pains with the Ducks that all young D men have. But he’s really developed into a bona fide star D man.

When you have D men who can consistently retrieve the puck and snap it up ice to the forwards with crisp tape to tape passes it makes such a difference. It really helps negate those sustained shifts where a team gets hemmed in their own zone because their D men can’t make those 2nd and 3rd read stretch pass reads under pressure.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Point off the cross bar then a big save after that.

Stamkos buries it shortly after.

5-1 Champa Bay.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Still finding a way to win, you guys have a good team.

Still shocking that Anaheim left Theodore exposed in the expansion draft, he had some growing pains with the Ducks that all young D men have. But he’s really developed into a bona fide star D man.

When you have D men who can consistently retrieve the puck and snap it up ice to the forwards with crisp tape to tape passes it makes such a difference. It really helps negate those sustained shifts where a team gets hemmed in their own zone because their D men can’t make those 2nd and 3rd stretch pass reads under pressure.
It was bad timing for Anaheim and basically a coin toss between him and Montour. At the time Shea was really poor in his own zone and Montour seemed to play the offensive game at a faster pace. Just relentlessly attacked the net at a high octane pace and was more noticeable than Theodore that way. Combine that with the idea, at that the time, that the Ducks were gonna stay committed to Sami Vatanen and Shea basically ended up being the odd man out. And he was used as a sweetener to dump Clayton Stoner's dead cap hit.

It's a pretty huge blow that Theodore is now better than all three of Vatanen, Montour (not even kinda close there) and Fowler.

If it had been any other city than the one I live in, I'd be furious about how this team got Theodore for free. Thankfully, I get to watch him every game still and I've decided he's gonna be the player customization I get added to my VGK inaugural season jersey. In a way he's kind of the bridge that connects my two teams as a fan.

But personal diatribe aside, yeah, Shea is the best on the team forward or defenseman at zone exits and the breakout. He can stretch it with the best of them or rush it end to end weaving through everyone if he wants to. Love watching him in transition.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
The country music song formula added a new variable with Duchene in Nashville. You can add "missing playoffs" to "wife left, truck broke down, dog's still loyal".

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Happy to see Cody "bust" Glass a point under PPG from the third line.

Looks to have returned to game form after a nearly year long injury and is looking to be back on his development track. Confidence and execution is improving with every shift.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Byron Froese...wow that guys still around?

I remember him playing pretty significant minutes on the Lottery Leafs pre-Auston Matthews era.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It was bad timing for Anaheim and basically a coin toss between him and Montour. At the time Shea was really poor in his own zone and Montour seemed to play the offensive game at a faster pace. Just relentlessly attacked the net at a high octane pace and was more noticeable than Theodore that way. Combine that with the idea, at that the time, that the Ducks were gonna stay committed to Sami Vatanen and Shea basically ended up being the odd man out. And he was used as a sweetener to dump Clayton Stoner's dead cap hit.

It's a pretty huge blow that Theodore is now better than all three of Vatanen, Montour (not even kinda close there) and Fowler.

If it had been any other city than the one I live in, I'd be furious about how this team got Theodore for free. Thankfully, I get to watch him every game still and I've decided he's gonna be the player customization I get added to my VGK inaugural season jersey. In a way he's kind of the bridge that connects my two teams as a fan.

But personal diatribe aside, yeah, Shea is the best on the team forward or defenseman at zone exits and the breakout. He can stretch it with the best of them or rush it end to end weaving through everyone if he wants to. Love watching him in transition.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but man has he ever blossomed. I’m with you on his transition ability, he’s a beast. I’ve got him as a virtual lock for Team Canada at the next best-on-best Olympics if he keeps playing like this.

I remember you mentioning before you followed both, that’s why I mentioned the expansion draft point. He struggled a bit getting beat wide and caught flat footed at times when he was young with the Ducks, but breaking in as a D man is so difficult on the NHL and progression is almost never linear for D men.

How’s your boy Glass been? I was a huge fan of him from his WHL days, seems like he’s finally starting to establish himself. He needed to add a bit of size to his frame, he was fairly lanky if I recall. He always stood out to me at least in his WHL days as being such a smart player with high end playmaking ability along with an accurate shot, but definitely more of a playmaker first than anything else.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hindsight is always 20-20 but man has he ever blossomed. I’m with you on his transition ability, he’s a beast. I’ve got him as a virtual lock for Team Canada at the next best-on-best Olympics if he keeps playing like this.

I remember you mentioning before you followed both, that’s why I mentioned the expansion draft point. He struggled a bit getting beat wide and caught flat footed at times when he was young with the Ducks, but breaking in as a D man is so difficult on the NHL and progression is almost never linear for D men.

How’s your boy Glass been? I was a huge fan of him from his WHL days, seems like he’s finally starting to establish himself. He needed to add a bit of size to his frame, he was fairly lanky if I recall. He always stood out to me at least in his WHL days as being such a smart player with high end playmaking ability along with an accurate shot, but definitely more of a playmaker first than anything else.

Glass looks good but he's chugging a bit with the extra bulk he put on.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

That's true, and I know Shea grew up into his teen years playing forward. Think he switched to D around 14-16 years old. His defense has come a long way since his last season in Anaheim.

Glass just picked up his second primary assist of the game to put him at a point per game pace from the third line. Was getting healthy scratched as a cap casualty but with McNabb on LTIR he's back and has 5 points the last four games.

What's crazy to me is how much his confidence has skyrocketed after scoring that first powerplay goal back from healthy scratch. He looked rusty and nervous at the start of this season and needed to get back in game form before anyone could worry about him working back to meeting his potential after a terrible rookie year of development. He's developed more in the past four games than he did in 35 last year. Every shift he's making better and better plays and looking more impactful.

What I don't like is last season they had Glass rove the halfwall on the powerplay. This season he's being parked in front of the goalie. Which, granted, led directly to one of his goals this year, but it's wasting his playmaking ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad