Prospect Info: HFBoards Canucks Prospect Rankings Since 2013

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I've gone back and compiled the Top 20 lists from HFBoards votes since 2013. Due to technical difficulties, 2015 involved some guesswork having to go through all the individual threads and figure out who had been eliminated and work backwards. It's very noticeable from 2016 onward that there was an onslaught of very real, quality prospects entering the system, instead of wishing on a star for everything to break right for Cole Cassels to be a bottom six forward.

EDIT: Bold is prospects added in draft year. Underline is a prospect who was traded for since previous off-season. Asterisk (*) traded during the offseason

EDIT 2: Updated to include 2019 HFBoards rankings.

201320142015201620172018 2019
1Bo HorvatBo HorvatJake VirtanenBrock BoeserBrock BoeserElias PetterssonQuinton Hughes
2Hunter ShinkarukJake VirtanenJared McCannOlli JuoleviElias PetterssonQuinton HughesVasili Podkolzin
3Frank CorradoHunter ShinkarukBrock BoeserThatcher DemkoOlli JuoleviThatcher DemkoThatcher Demko
4Niklas JensenNiklas JensenThatcher DemkoJake VirtanenThatcher DemkoOlli JuoleviJett Woo
5Brendan GaunceBrendan GaunceCole CasselsNikita TryamkinJonathan DahlenJonathan DahlenNils Hoglander
6Jordan SchroederJared McCannHunter ShinkarukBrendan GaunceAdam GaudetteAdam GaudetteTyler Madden
7Eddie LackFrankie CorradoBrendan GaunceJordan SubbanNikolay GoldobinKole LindOlli Juolevi
8Joacim ErikssonLinden VeyRonalds KeninsTroy StetcherJake VirtanenNikolay GoldobinMichael DiPietro
9Alexandre MalletBen HuttonFrank CorradoGuillaume BriseboisKole LindJett WooJack Rathbone
10Ben HuttonThatcher DemkoAdam Clendening*Adam GaudetteJonah GadjovichMichael DiPietro Zack MacEwan
11Henrik TommernesDane FoxBen HuttonAndrey PedanWill LockwoodJonah GadjovichWill Lockwood
12Peter AnderssonCole CasselsJordan SubbanCole CasselsJordan SubbanPetrus PalmuGuillaume Brisebois
13Ludwig BlomstrandJoacim ErikssonGuillaume BriseboisTate OlsonGuillaume BriseboisLukas JasekEthan Keppen
14Patrick McNallyNikita TryamkinAlex GrenierWilliam LockwoodMichael DiPietroTyler MaddenKole Lind
15Joe CannataJordan SubbanAndrey PedanCole CandellaZack MacEwenWill LockwoodLinus Karlsson
16Jordan SubbanEvan McEnenyDmitry Zhukenov Mike ZalewskiEvan McEnenyJack RathboneTony Utunen
17Darren ArchibaldRonalds KeninsNikita TryamkinDmitry ZhukenovJalen ChatfieldZack MacEwenLukas Jasek
18Cole CasselsMichael ZalewskiNiklas JensenJakob StukelPetrus PalmuGuillaume BriseboisJonah Gadjovich
19Evan McEnenyGustav ForslingLukas JasekCarl NeillJack RathboneToni UtenenFrancis Perron*
20Joseph LaBateAlexandre GrenierEvan McEnenyLukas JasekPhilip HolmAshton SautnerJack Malone
21Kellan LainAnton CederholmDane Fox
22Anton CederholmKellan Lain
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Bonus Rankings from 2006:

1. Luc Bourdon
2. Cory Schneider
3. Michael Grabner
4. Kevin Bieksa
5. Jannik Hansen
6. Alexander Edler
7. Jesse Schultz
8. Julien Ellis
9. Mason Raymond
10. Alexandre Vincent
11. Daniel Rahimi
12. Kirill Koltsov
13. Juraj Simek
14. Mike Brown
15. Matt Butcher
16. Rick Rypien
17. Sergei Shirokov
18. Nathan McIver
19. Kris Fredheim
20. Denis Grot

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It has definitely improved but it is tough to compare a prospect pool from 2013 for example with the benefit of hindsight to 2017 where even the long shots like Palmu and Rathbone are seen as decent prospects.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I'm not sure I understand. When you get to 13-16 range of any farm system, you're unlikely to get any sure things. 2013's #16 Jordan Subban had a cup of coffee in the NHL. I'm not sure it's unreasonable to hope for Rathbone to dress in a handful of NHL games by 2023, nor do I think the board is declaring Rathbone is anything more than a project with interesting upside but many years away. I remember legitimate hype around Jordan Subban on these boards, saying that he would be "the best Subban of the group if only he could grow."

Anyways, there was no point or message I intended to draw from my exercise. I just thought it would be interesting to see the prospect pools now vs. the last five years (ie: the furthest back this board will let me search).

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Edited OP to include some context. Bold is prospects added in draft year. Underline is a prospect who was traded for since previous off-season. Asterisk (*) traded during the offseason.

Interesting that in 2017, the Canucks added 8 of their top 20 prospects even after graduating Virtanen, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Gaunce, and Pedan (traded at the beginning of the season).

Also interesting that the 2018 rankings basically swap out Boeser, Virtanen, McEneny, Chatfield and Holm for Hughes, Woo, Madden, Utenen, and Sautner

Last edited:

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
What's interesting to me is big jumps up or down year-to-year as more is seen and known about a prospect:

Tryamkin 17th in 2015 - jumps to 5th in 2016

Demko 10th in 2014 - jumps to 4th in 2015 (3rd 2016, 4th 2017, 3rd 2018)

Cassels 19th in 2013 - jumps to 12th in 2014 - another jump to 5th in 2015 - then plummets back to 13th in 2016 - and off the list in 2017!

S_C

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Brisebois has the most interesting volatility while continuing a smooth upward trajectory

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Lockwood should be un-bolded for 2017, BTW.

Thanks. Corrected.

I am not sure if this is allowed since there's a paywall, but The Athletic is doing their top 20 prospects right now:

RankingProspect HFBoards Ranking
1Elias Pettersson1
2Quinn Hughes2
3Thatcher Demko3
4Olli Juolevi4
5Jonathan Dahlen5
6Adam Gaudette6
7Kole Lind7
8Jett Woo9
9Jonah Gadjovich11
10Zack MacEwen17
11Michael DiPietro 10
12Guillaume Brisebois 18
13Petrus Palmu 12
14Lukas Jasek 13
15Matthew Brassard NR
16Jalen Chatfield NR
17Jack Rathbone 16
18Tyler Madden 14
19Toni Utunen 19
20Matthew Thiessen NR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Bumping this thread because it's the dog days of summer and the current HFBoards polls are currently going on.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Bonus Rankings from 2006:

1. Luc Bourdon
2. Cory Schneider
3. Michael Grabner
4. Kevin Bieksa
5. Jannik Hansen
6. Alexander Edler
7. Jesse Schultz
8. Julien Ellis
9. Mason Raymond
10. Alexandre Vincent
11. Daniel Rahimi
12. Kirill Koltsov
13. Juraj Simek
14. Mike Brown
15. Matt Butcher
16. Rick Rypien
17. Sergei Shirokov
18. Nathan McIver
19. Kris Fredheim
20. Denis Grot
Interesting. 8 went on to have solid NHL careers (should have been 9). Now go back and ask the same question for 2013...

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
2013 only two top 10 prospect made it to the nhl.

2019 we have 3 for sure future nhl players already Hughes, Podkolzin and Demko. Hoglander and Woo most likely will be nhl players. Juolevi and Madden are 50/50 they will make it to the nhl. Rathbone, Dipietro, Macewan are still long shots to make it to the nhl.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda

2019 we have 3 for sure future nhl players already Hughes, Podkolzin and Demko. Hoglander and Woo most likely will be nhl players. Juolevi and Madden are 50/50 they will make it to the nhl. Rathbone, Dipietro, Macewan are still long shots to make it to the nhl.

2013:
Bo Horvat - 377 NHL Games
Frank Corrado - 76 NHL Games
Niklas Jensen - 31 NHL Games
Brendan Gaunce - 117 NHL Games
Eddie Lack - 143 NHL Games
Ben Hutton - 276 NHL Games

Now, I obviously don't know what random number of games you are using in your head to say only two prospects made it to the NHL (I'm sure you'll say something like more than 200) but on the face your comment is patently false.

More interesting is your implication that you think a newly drafted Hoglander or Woo will easily play more games than a Gaunce or Hutton. Same as every year - just gotta wait for some of that shine to come off.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm probably the only one who feels like this but it was one of the most disgusting things I've witnessed in the modern age to watch HF delete all their archives that extended back to 2001 in order to save money and space. All that hockey history just gone forever. Imagine being able to go back and read HFNerds bitching about the Burke era or whether Dan Cloutier will ever pull it together. Especially all that prospect info and by now, you could have literally followed and pieced together guy's entire professional careers game by game following them through threads and GDTs through time. Really shitty HF got rid of it. Think of all the cool books and research we'll lose because of this. We could have first hand reports of Crosby and Ovechkin in prospect threads before they came into the league.

But again, I'm probably the only one who's salty about this.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Before they deleted the archives, going through the 00s Canucks prospect threads and info should have been accompanied by Benny Hill music. I think the Canucks hired old players just to hang out with each other, watch a couple WHL games and then drink beer and talk about how much better they were than these punk kids today.

Come to think of it... I don't think that scouting philosophy has changed all that much for the Canucks...

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
2013:
Bo Horvat - 377 NHL Games
Frank Corrado - 76 NHL Games
Niklas Jensen - 31 NHL Games
Brendan Gaunce - 117 NHL Games
Eddie Lack - 143 NHL Games
Ben Hutton - 276 NHL Games

Now, I obviously don't know what random number of games you are using in your head to say only two prospects made it to the NHL (I'm sure you'll say something like more than 200) but on the face your comment is patently false.

Regardless of how you break it down, the list has 1 player that looks like an above replacement level talent - of the 22 listed.

Go back and look at the 3 previous drafts to those 4 and Kevin Connauton is the top NHL player found. In 7 drafts you have 1 above replacement level talent - in the age cohort of 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30.

43 picks - 1 above replacement level talent spanning 7 years. Had Nonis not brought in arguably the 2 best netminders in franchise history, that number would be zero.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Regardless of how you break it down, the list has 1 player that looks like an above replacement level talent - of the 22 listed.

Go back and look at the 3 previous drafts to those 4 and Kevin Connauton is the top NHL player found. In 7 drafts you have 1 above replacement level talent - in the age cohort of 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30.

43 picks - 1 above replacement level talent spanning 7 years. Had Nonis not brought in arguably the 2 best netminders in franchise history, that number would be zero.

How many over-replacement level players did Boston select in the overlapping period that Jim Benning was overseeing the scouting arm of that organization? How many would the number be without the Phil Kessel trade?

How many over-replacement level players have we found here under Benning outside of top-10 picks?

I'll answer for you. In 11 drafts that Jim Benning has overseen from 2007-2017, this is the total list of over replacement-level players he's found, from 60 draft picks outside of the first round :

Matt Gryzalek.

That's all. Demko and Gaudette may be added to that list eventually.

Brock Boeser is basically the only pick in 11 years outside of the top-10 that added any substantial value to a franchise outside of the top 10 picks.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
How many over-replacement level players have we found here under Benning outside of top-10 picks?

The 1st pick Benning made outside the top 10 is one - Jared McCann

The next pick he made could be another - Thatcher Demko. TBD

The next pick he made was tracking like he could be one - Nikita Tryamkin. TBD

The 1st pick he makes the following draft is one - Brock Boeser

Unlike when we look at previous administrations picks, we don't have the runway to see how many of these picks will go on to find success. There are a ton of guys in our system taken outside the top 10 that could go on to be above replacement level players. Time will tell.

The successes or failures Benning had running the Sabres drafts or being an assistant GM isn't really what I'm concerned about. Our prospect pool is much more interesting, to me at least. And when looking at where it was in 2013 to where it's been in recent years, how could one not be encouraged?

There is a reason so many fans outside Vancouver are jealous of the young core the Canucks have assembled. And it sure wasn't done through trades and free agency.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Before they deleted the archives, going through the 00s Canucks prospect threads and info should have been accompanied by Benny Hill music. I think the Canucks hired old players just to hang out with each other, watch a couple WHL games and then drink beer and talk about how much better they were than these punk kids today.

Come to think of it... I don't think that scouting philosophy has changed all that much for the Canucks...

There's a team ranking and evaluation thread the prospects board that puts an interesting perspective for the Canucks, in that he's made breakdowns in 4 year spans going back 12 years. No formula is perfect of course, but it provides a static method to compare teams and I believe this one relies around draft pick games played.

2008-2011 - tail end of the Burke created Delorme era.
Canucks league ranking: 30th

2012-2015 - short tenure of Gillis created Crawford era + start of Benning transition.
Canucks league ranking: 12th

2016-2019 - Benning's Brackett era + 2016, obviously inconclusive at this point.
Canucks league ranking: 18th

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The 1st pick Benning made outside the top 10 is one - Jared McCann

The next pick he made could be another - Thatcher Demko. TBD

The next pick he made was tracking like he could be one - Nikita Tryamkin. TBD

The 1st pick he makes the following draft is one - Brock Boeser

Unlike when we look at previous administrations picks, we don't have the runway to see how many of these picks will go on to find success. There are a ton of guys in our system taken outside the top 10 that could go on to be above replacement level players. Time will tell.

The successes or failures Benning had running the Sabres drafts or being an assistant GM isn't really what I'm concerned about. Our prospect pool is much more interesting, to me at least. And when looking at where it was in 2013 to where it's been in recent years, how could one not be encouraged?

There is a reason so many fans outside Vancouver are jealous of the young core the Canucks have assembled. And it sure wasn't done through trades and free agency.

So you're not going to address Jim Benning's 11 years of drafting incompetence outside of the top-10?

Agreed that 2014 was Benning's best year ... in a year where by his own admission he sat back and evaluated while Crawford ran the draft.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Haven’t we learned about counting our second rounds picks as “most likely” NHLers too soon?

Reactions: Jyrki21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad