OT: HFB - Media/Fans Community - Interview Questions for Ryan Biech

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
OT: - HF Boards - Media/Fans Community Project (Interviews with J-Pat, Pronman, Rick Dhaliwal,Wyatt ++)

See the original Thread above to get up to date information on this massive project.
Please use this thread to post QUESTIONS to our HF Boards guest.

Ryan Biech
Covers Canucks related news/prospects on Canucks Army, and NextgenHockey

What we need from the fans in this thread:
Questions: I will be asking him a series of Canucks questions, including his career, Jason Botchford, Lots of Prospects questions!

If you want to ask a question, Please join in and ask in this thread that is dedicated towards him.
Keep the questions RESPECTFUL, keep them on point, I will try to get to each and every one of them during the interview. Tough questions are allowed as well, as long as they don't get carried away.

This is one of a series of threads that will be dedicated for each media member I will be interviewing, the list is massive and staggering, we are very lucky to have them doing this for our community on hf boards.

PS - I will try to keep it around two/three threads every few days, just to get as many questions for each media member, and lighten the load on the forum.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan: Which prospect is everybody sleeping on in this years Draft?
Also, Is there a specific prospect in the 2nd round that the Canucks should hope he is available, that is increasing your expectations?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan: Do you ever look back in your past work on the NHL Drafts, and try to study on what you feel you got right, and what you feel you got right or wrong, and try to adjust your formula in future drafts?

Reactions: THE Green Man

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan: What is your opinion on Philip Broberg who is all the crave due to his strong U18 performance this season?
Do you had to choose, would you pick Philip over Soderstrom, or just draft the best forward and be done with it?

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ryan: What is your opinion on Philip Broberg who is all the crave due to his strong U18 performance this season?
Do you had to choose, would you pick Philip over Soderstrom, or just draft the best forward and be done with it?

Good questions. I'm curious as to his answer.

Here are mine:

1. What picks do you see as locks for the top9? For instance, many have Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Cozens and Dach going before the Canucks' pick. Do you see this as being correct?

2. Do you foresee Podkolzin dropping out of the top9 due to a lack of production?

3. How do you evaluate Krebs's production given the weakness of his team?

4. Do you prefer the top players coming out of the USHL and Europe more than you do the CHL this year? If so, why?

5. Rank Zegras, Boldy and Krebs.

6. What are your thoughts on Pelletier?

7. Your thoughts on Heinola and the numbers he has put up this year? Is he the 2nd best dman available?

8. Any inclinations on what the Canucks might do?

That's it for now.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
1. Where is the biggest drop-off in talent in the 1st round draft?

2. Are the 2nd tier of defenseman really a step behind in terms of ability of the USHL forward prospects? ex. Soderstrom, Broberg, Heinola

3. The Canucks are rumoured to be high on Soderstrom. How much truth is there to that? Is there anyone else the Canucks are linked to?

4. What are your thoughts on Alex Newhook?

5. How far away is Podkolzin from the NHL? If he's two years away then there should be no problem waiting for him to play out the rest of his KHL contract.

6. Kaliyev has fantastic production but poor skating. Is his skating flaws and other weaknesses overblown? What do you think about his NHL future?

7. Benning has emphasized that the draft is in Vancouver all year and how important it is for the fans. Do you feel like Benning is going to make a splash at the draft?

8. Many people believe that it is a make or break season for Benning. Do you believe this will impact any of his drafting decisions? Ex. take a more NHL ready prospect rather than a project

9. Which region of scouting is the weakest among for the Canucks? Do you feel they've made any adjustments or changes to fix this?

10. Drafting is considered to be a great strength of the organization now. How do you feel the Canucks rank among the NHL organizations in terms of drafting?

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Prospects seasons can include the regular season, the playoffs, and international tournaments.

Kaliev had an excellent regular season and a mediocre playoffs.
Lavoie had a mediocre regular season and an excellent playoffs.
Krebs had a mediocre season until his U18 Worlds, which was excellent.

My question is, as a scout, do you give more weight to the performance in one of these categories over the others?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
RYAN-who in the draft besides Hughes and Kakko are the most NHL ready do you think.
Ryan-do you foresee the Canucks wanting to make a splash at the draft this year,or do they just pick and we go home with that was un entertaining event.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Who do you think will be the 2nd defenseman taken? Soderstrom had the early lead, but Broberg got a lot of traction at the U18s. Could a Heinola, York etc sneak in?

What is the toughest part about comparing leagues when trying to compare how players are playing from around the world?

Last edited:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Interview will be taking place on MONDAY at 1:00pm.

FINAL CALL FOR QUESTIONS!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Could a rebuilding team gain an advantage by consistently trading players for picks at the trade deadline and trading picks for players at the draft?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Hey everybody!
Ryan has the flu so he is gonna be rescheduling this for early next week, so we still have time for questions if any late ones wanna come in!

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Interview is tomorrow at 1:00 pst.
Lots of prospects questions!!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Who are some surprise names you could see vaulting into the top 10 or 15 of this draft?

Who do you feel the top 3 snipers are in this draft, and what is your view on their likelihood of panning out at the NHL level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad