OT: HFB - Media/Fans Community - Interview Questions for Rick Dhaliwal

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
OT: - HF Boards - Media/Fans Community Project (Interviews with J-Pat, Pronman, Rick Dhaliwal,Wyatt ++)

See the original Thread above to get up to date information on this massive project.
Please use this thread to post QUESTIONS to our HF Boards guest.

Rick Dhaliwal
Rick works for Sportsnet 650 alongside James Cybulski, and Perry Solkowski.
He is also one of the best resources and insider information Media members of the Canucks Community.

What we need from the fans in this thread:
Questions: I will be asking him a series of Canucks related questions, Rick seemed out of nowhere became one of the most active, and respected for his intel on Canucks information. I plan to ask him how he started and specifically, who in his life helped him achieve such a influential status so quickly.

If you want to ask a question, Please join in and ask in this thread that is dedicated towards him.
Keep the questions RESPECTFUL, keep them on point, I will try to get to each and every one of them during the interview. Tough questions are allowed as well, as long as they don't get carried away.

This is one of a series of threads that will be dedicated for each media member I will be interviewing, the list is massive and staggering, we are very lucky to have them doing this for our community on hf boards.

PS - I will try to keep it around two threads every few days, just to get as many questions for each media member, and lighten the load on the forum.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Lets start this off:
Question for Rick: Jim Benning has had his fair share of critics with the way he has managed this hockey team.
Do you think the Canucks fanbase is being rightfully critical of Jim Benning?
Also, Do you see Benning attempt to fast forward this rebuild this off-season, due to his contract status.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Question: Do you ever get internal flack from the Canucks organisation for leaking things that they don't want to be leaked, or is the insider process pretty by the book, only receiving information the team wants to be released? Is there anything that you wanted to leak but couldn't as a result of potentially losing your source(s)/not wanting to disrespect the organisation? (Doesn't have to be specific about it, but if there are cases, it would be interesting to know that they exist).

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Question: Do you ever get internal flack from the Canucks organisation for leaking things that they don't want to be leaked, or is the insider process pretty by the book, only receiving information the team wants to be released? Is there anything that you wanted to leak but couldn't as a result of potentially losing your source(s)/not wanting to disrespect the organisation? (Doesn't have to be specific about it, but if there are cases, it would be interesting to know that they exist).
This is one fantastic question, I absolutely will ask him this

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
2 Questions

With all the rumours for potential President of Hockey Operations candidates, are the Canucks actually looking, or is this talk being created because Aquilini is putting out feelers for a potential Benning replacement? Or is there nothing there and it is just a media created speculation rumour?

Ian Clark is needing a contract extension and the Canucks have yet to lock him up. Is there any reason why this isn't done yet? He is one of the biggest bright spots the Canucks have as part of the coaching/management group.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
What has been the consensus around the league about the canucks president position? Is it considered a desirable position or are there many outside factors (eg. ownership interference) that have made it an less desirable position?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Can you ask them what players on the team do the game feel negatively about, like criticism over trajectory, role, hard work etc
We always hear about positives and it’s unlikely to blast the team in the media, but as an insider what players should be worried?
Goldobin is an obvious, but do the Canucks realistically evaluate their team ?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
What has been the consensus around the league about the canucks president position? Is it considered a desirable position or are there many outside factors (eg. ownership interference) that have made it an less desirable position?
This is a great question, I will maybe even do a follow up question attached to this.
Great job.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The interview is going to be done Thursday afternoon.

This is everybody’s last chance to get questions in.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Can you ask them what players on the team do the game feel negatively about, like criticism over trajectory, role, hard work etc
We always hear about positives and it’s unlikely to blast the team in the media, but as an insider what players should be worried?
Goldobin is an obvious, but do the Canucks realistically evaluate their team ?
Can you rewrite this, interview is today, but can't figure out what u are asking exactly.
ty

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Can you rewrite this, interview is today, but can't figure out what u are asking exactly.
ty

Sorry it is a little hard to read ( autocorrect and no proof reading )

Essentially do the canucks spend enough time evaluating the current performance of their roster players, outside of rookies who are earning their ice time, it looks like once a spot has been earned it’s seldom taken away, players are rarely healthy scratches unless they are actively the odd man out. Eventually Gudbranson was moved out but it seemed 2 years overdue and with little discipline during that time.

The point I’m interested in is if the Canucks aren’t putting these players through their evaluation process and constructively criticizing their performance I don’t see them developing players to become more than what they naturally are.

Players like Naslund developed under Crawford who was a tough but fair coach. Is Green holding enough guys accountable for their play or do we just see Goldobin get “the treatment” and Erickson and Grandlund and Beagle get a pass

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Interview confirmed for 7:45 AM, Thursday. (Will upload after).
We just had a nice chat on the phone, extremely down to earth guy, was a pleasure.
I can still take a few questions if you guys want.
I got clarification for the questions to be asked, looks like every question is good to go.
Thanks for the involvement, I hope I do you all proud.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFAC

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Interview confirmed for 7:45 AM, Thursday. (Will upload after).
We just had a nice chat on the phone, extremely down to earth guy, was a pleasure.
I can still take a few questions if you guys want.
I got clarification for the questions to be asked, looks like every question is good to go.
Thanks for the involvement, I hope I do you all proud.

Really cool you have this opportunity, I’m sure these guys probably find themselves on these forums from time to time and if it wasn’t for posters like yourself who offer insightful and intelligent takes on our team we wouldn’t have the legitimacy we do

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I just wanna add - it’s great to see HF Van realizing we have a gem of a poster in LB. I know users here don’t always see eye to eye, but it’s fantastic to see you all appreciate the hard work, effort and passion your fellow fans can put in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->