OT: HFB - Media/Fans Community - Interview Questions for Jeff Paterson

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
OT: - HF Boards - Media/Fans Community Project (Interviews with J-Pat, Pronman, Rick Dhaliwal,Wyatt ++)

See the original Thread above to get up to date information on this massive project.
Please use this thread to post QUESTIONS to our HF Boards guest.

Jeff Paterson

Jeff is a Canuck reporter for TSN1040
Host of the now retired Patcast (RIP Jason Botchford)
Well respected media personality, and fan favorite around the Canucks Community circles.

What we need from the fans in this thread:
Questions: I will be asking him a series of Canucks questions, including his career, Jason Botchford, Patcast, and other requests.

If you want to ask a question, Please join in and ask in this thread that is dedicated towards him.
Keep the questions RESPECTFUL, keep them on point, I will try to get to each and every one of them during the interview. Tough questions are allowed as well, as long as they don't get carried away.

This is one of a series of threads that will be dedicated for each media member I will be interviewing, the list is massive and staggering, we are very lucky to have them doing this for our community on hf boards.

PS - I will try to keep it around two/three threads every few days, just to get as many questions for each media member, and lighten the load on the forum.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Quick updates on interviews before we start with questions for Jeff Paterson, who is one of my favorite media personalities, host of the Patcast, and partner in arms with Jason botchford (RIP).

Brendan Batchelor : Interview is being set up for sometime this week. (He is coming back from Vacation Wednesday)
Wyatt Arndt: Interview will be in the next few days it looks like.
Cory Hergott: Next two weeks
Ryan Biech: We are leaning towards next week, might do closer to draft

Also we have a few "surprise" interviews coming up, including one or more with HF boards members.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Jeff: Patcast was such a resounding success.
Is there one specific moment early on that made you think. "Man, This really could work long term"?

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Question for Jeff,

You've covered this team for years and have seen many different management groups in the fold over that time. Do you recall an assistant general manager as quiet and inconspicuous as John Weisbrod? To this day I am still not sure what his duties are with the team? He's second in command, yet makes less public appearances than Francesco Aquilini. What's your take on John Weisbrod and his relationship with Jim Benning?

Reactions: Canucks LB

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A few questions...

1. Do you think the Canucks will name a captain this year?

2. In relation to the above, do you think the torch will be officially passed and that the youth on the team will become the culture carriers?

3. How do you think the Canucks plan to deal with the Loui Eriksson contract?

4. Do you think Brandon Sutter will be on the team come opening night?

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I forgot to mention, multiple questions are allowed and encouraged.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
1. With an inability to make the playoffs the past few seasons, is Benning’s leash as short as ever? If the team stumbles out the gate, do you think he could lose his job before the season is done?

2. Who is your candidate for breakout player of the year and why isn’t it Jake Virtanen?

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
There’s frustration in the fan community with Ownership, managment and the lack of a clear direction with this team moving forward. We hear reports of this team exploring options to sign some high profile players come July first. We also hear that this team wants to rebuild through the draft.

What is the direction of the Canucks moving forward, are they rebuilding or does managment/ownership believe they can compete for the playoffs this upcoming season?

With Jim Benning on the final year of his contract, is he being pressured to make the playoffs this season by ownership?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Ask him how much of a challenge it is to create engaging thoughtful reports on the Canucks during the long stretches where we roll out the same product and go on long losing streaks and have nothing exciting to focus on

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Why do so many sports reporters (not including Paterson) who have reached the top of their profession fail to understand interviewing fundamentals, such as not asking yes or no questions or questions to which they already know the answer?

"Is Markstrom's play giving his D confidence?" "How important is it to get off to a good start?"

Reactions: Jyrki21

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How thick was the tension in the room, when you and Botch were recording the pat-cast and you mentioned you weren't crazy about the Athletties name?

And how long did he hold it over you until you guys were good again?

(For the record I'm hoping it inspires some fun stories about their relationship and isn't seen as a negative talking point. LB if you don't think it's a good question to bring up, by all means leave it out.)

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Who is your favourite person in the Canucks organization to interview/ask questions in a scrum and why?

Do you think that the post game media scrum in the dressing room is the best way to have player media availability?

ccjon

Jul 12, 2011
Why does Jim Benning get so much rope in the media? Do you think he faces less criticism because he's simply a nice person?

Canucks on July 1st - what are you most afraid of?

Do you see the Canucks making a splash and going after Subban?

Have you ever been to HFBoards?

Reactions: Jyrki21

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Interview looks like it's going to happen in the next week or so, Still taking questions for all!

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Interviews taking place today at 7:30pm
Last call for questions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad