OT: HFB - Media/Fans Community - Interview Questions for J.D. Burke!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
OT: - HF Boards - Media/Fans Community Project (Interviews with J-Pat, Pronman, Rick Dhaliwal,Wyatt ++)

See the original Thread above to get up to date information on this massive project.
Please use this thread to post QUESTIONS to our HF Boards guest.

J.D Burke.

J.D burke is the Editor in Chief of Elite Prospects, He also works for TSN1040, and also writes for the Athletic.

What we need from the fans in this thread:
Questions: I will be asking him a series of Canucks related questions, since he focuses mostly on prospects, a lot of the questions will be directed in that direction.

If you want to ask a question, Please join in and ask in this thread that is dedicated towards him.
Keep the questions RESPECTFUL, keep them on point, I will try to get to each and every one of them during the interview. Tough questions are allowed as well, as long as they don't get carried away.

This is one of a series of threads that will be dedicated for each media member I will be interviewing, the list is massive and staggering, we are very lucky to have them doing this for our community on hf boards.

PS - I will try to keep it around two threads every few days, just to get as many questions for each media member, and lighten the load on the forum.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I will start this off.

Question for Burke: Broberg and Soderstrom are two 2nd tier Defenders who are rumored to be selected near the Canucks Pick.
Out of those two players, which player do you think would have a bigger impact for Vancouver moving forward?.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Question: Are you a proponent of picking the BPA no matter what in the first round, or are there scenarios where picking by positional need is a smart tactic in the draft? Do you think Vancouver picked BPA with Virtanen and Juolevi at the time, or were there clearly better options available that they passed up on for positional or other reasons?

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Question: Are you a proponent of picking the BPA no matter what in the first round, or are there scenarios where picking by positional need is a smart tactic in the draft? Do you think Vancouver picked BPA with Virtanen and Juolevi at the time, or were there clearly better options available that they passed up on for positional or other reasons?
I have also been wondering about picking BPA this year, Considering how close the actual pool is, I don’t think there’s any consensus

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Question

With the explosion of analytics into the public sphere of hockey, more and more people are using them to defend under producing players. When you see a player who has good possession stats and bad production, what is your next step in evaluating the player?

Reactions: Canucks LB

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Where do you get the tracking data you use for your analysis on players?

Also clarification on the Ryan Miller for San Jose 9th overall selection that’s been the subject of speculation here.

@y2kcanucks what’s the full trade rumor?

Which player has blown expectations out of the water from an analytical presective from their pre draft expectations? Has this caused a review of your projection systems or is it considered an outlier?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Where do you get the tracking data you use for your analysis on players?

Also clarification on the Ryan Miller for San Jose 9th overall selection that’s been the subject of speculation here.

@y2kcanucks what’s the full trade rumor?

Which player has blown expectations out of the water from an analytical presective from their pre draft expectations? Has this caused a review of your projection systems or is it considered an outlier?

The Canucks were offered the 9th overall pick at the 2015 draft for Ryan Miller, and Jim Benning turned it down.

JD Burke would be an excellent person to follow-up with since the author of the article received that tidbit from Burke who gave him permission to print it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
JD do you believe for a second, that the Teflon Don, Ron Delorme was really the first scout to turn the team onto Elias Pettersson?

Or did they attribute it to Ron because he really needed a win?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The Canucks were offered the 9th overall pick at the 2015 draft for Ryan Miller, and Jim Benning turned it down.

JD Burke would be an excellent person to follow-up with since the author of the article received that tidbit from Burke who gave him permission to print it.
I would like to follow up with him, but I do wonder if he will want to talk about it, I will ask him off the record first and see if he is okay with it.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

LOL.

In the two months that I’ve been gone from here, you’re *still* pumping this narrative? Lmao. You’re definitely persistent. I’ll give you that much. Good to see you again.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A couple of questions...

By and large, do NHL teams prioritize analytics yet? Or do most of them still rely on older metrics such as the eye test?

And, as an organization, how much value do you think the Canucks place on these?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
And, as an organization, how much value do you think the Canucks place on these?
I'll piggyback on this. Compared to their predecessors, has the current administration disavowed or downplayed analytics to any significant extent? How does Vancouver's usage of analytics compare to the approach Peter Chiarelli (Benning's former boss) took in Edmonton?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
My question: do you think the Canucks should mortgage future for playoffs now, or should we hoard up more picks in order to get more talents?

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Last call for questions, interview is being done tomorrow in the afternoon.

Last Chance!

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Seriously why can the Aqualini family be happy with the fact that they are spending money and Benning is not getting the job done,,can that be asked in a question please.
Can you rewrite this question, I am having a hard time figuring out how to word it.
Thank you

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->